Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Andrea Yates's Ex: I've Never Blamed Her for Drowning Our Five Children

Default Andrea Yates's Ex: I've Never Blamed Her for Drowning Our Five Children

Andrea Yates's Ex: I've Never Blamed Her for Drowning Our Five Children

On Saturday’s episode of Oprah: Where Are They Now?, Oprah described Rusty Yates as “a living, breathing example of being able to move forward when the most horrific thing occurs.” He is also one of the most forgiving people on the planet—Yates’s ex-wife Andrea drowned their five children one-by-one in 2001. She was diagnosed with postpartum depression and psychosis, and after being convicted of capital murder, she was found not guilty by reason of insanity on appeal. She is currently at a state mental hospital in Kerville, Texas.

Rusty says Andrea is “wonderful” and that he cares about her still. (They divorced in 2004.)

“It was a horrific act but I’ve never blamed her for it,” Rusty told Oprah. “Because I think of it as akin to...suppose I’m driving down the street in our Suburban with our five children and I have a heart attack and slide over into oncoming traffic and get in this horrible car accident and I’m the only survivor. Should I be prosecuted for that? Should I be blamed for that?”

Rusty says that he hasn’t concerned himself too much with exactly what Andrea was thinking while performing the drownings. “For me, it’s sufficient to know she was in a delusional state,” he told Oprah. Andrea reportedly told psychiatrists that she thought Satan was inside of her and that by killing her children, she was also saving them.

Rusty believes that their deep faith somewhat complicated the situation. “We were a pretty religious family, and I think that it’s a double-edged sword,” he said. “It’s like, you kind of want that in a way, you want to develop spiritually, you want to grow, but on the flip side…it can be a heavy burden for some people…I think about her delusions, I think well she was concerned about her own spiritual development, her own standing before God. I think she was more concerned about those things than she would have been otherwise because of that influence.”

Rusty says that he sees Andrea once a year and talks to her by phone once a month.

This asshole has got to be kidding. How kind of him to forgive her but not acknowledge how his actions set this in motion.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 29th, 2015 at 07:36 AM.
    Clubber Lang and Bluebonnet like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Oprah described Rusty Yates as “a living, breathing example of being able to move forward when the most horrific thing occurs.” He is also one of the most forgiving people on the planet—Yates’s ex-wife Andrea drowned their five children one-by-one in 2001.
    if we needed proof that oprah is a delusional asshole, this is it.
    this asshole is probably more to blame for his kids' deaths than andrea yates ever was. part of the reason she even developed post-partum psychosis is because this crazy fundie breeder kept pressuring andrea to get pregnant even though doctors had repeatedly told her to stop because her post-partum got worse with every birth.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    this asshole is probably more to blame for his kids' deaths than andrea yates ever was. part of the reason she even developed post-partum psychosis is because this crazy fundie breeder kept pressuring andrea to get pregnant even though doctors had repeatedly told her to stop because her post-partum got worse with every birth.
    Yup. And chasing down each kid as they scream and throw up on themselves in fear and confusion and drowning them sequentially in the bathtub is not the same as accidentally sliding off the road in your car.

plus, his name is rusty.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

plus, his name is rusty.
    Clark Griswold would be so ashamed at this Rusty.
    levitt, sputnik and Brookie like this.

I'm going to look for the positive in this. I am happy he acknowledges the role their religion played.
    czb and Clubber Lang like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^^^
    for her and in the role it played in her delusions and how religion was a burden on "some people" (i.e. her). if anything he seems to be implying she was too weak to be a proper quiverfull christian wife. he doesn't seem to be acknowledging his role and the damage his beliefs did in pushing her to have more kids and trying to control her body and reproductive rights, in typical fundie asshole fashion. he's a nasty piece of work and it's unfortunate the judge didn't order him to have a vasectomy back when this originally happened.

Seriously. Fuck this quiverfull mother fucker.

And Oprah too.

In addition to being told to stop knocking her up, he was told NOT to leave her alone with the children.

According to trial testimony in 2006, Dr. Saeed advised Rusty, a former NASA engineer, not to leave Andrea unattended. However, he began leaving her alone with the children in the weeks leading up to the drownings for short periods of time hoping to improve her independence.[12] He had announced at a family gathering the weekend before the drownings that he had decided to leave her home alone for an hour each morning and evening, so that she would not become totally dependent on him and his mother for her maternal responsibilities.[26]
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^Thank you!

That whole thing was so fucking disturbing. I was living in Houston when it happened and the whole city was mortified, as was everyone else needless to say.

I blame him. Always did. He should've been prosecuted for caring more about breeding and not caring more about his wife's health.
    Alysheba, Kittylady and sputnik like this.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

I blame both of them.

This reminds me of a horrific story that was in the news about 30 years ago. Some crazy couple with a bunch of kids started dropping them off a balcony on the 12th floor of a hotel. I think there were like six kids and one of them actually survived. I think the parents jumped, too (at least, I hoped they did).

Elite Member

I also mostly blame Rusty, however, a forced vasectomy seems a bit harsh. I'm fairly certain that losing all five of his children to his wife's murderous delusion, knowing that he helped bring that about with all the religion he shoved down her throat, is probably punishment enough. As Sluce stated, he does seem to acknowledge that religions played a large part in Andrea's condition and I'm sure that every single day he tortures himself with thoughts of what he could have done differently that would have saved his kid's lives.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

A forced vasectomy seems harsh? As opposed to being locked up in a mental hospital for life? She was crazy/delusional. What's his excuse?

Elite Member

Not sure, and I certainly do not condone his part in this, the guy's a lunatic and an asshole to boot. But from a legal standpoint enforcing a vasectomy on this man seems as though it could set a dangerous precedent, I could see attorney's and DA's taking a lot of liberties with that option on the table in future cases.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

I support Sputnik on the forced vasectomy idea - even if this means a special amendment to the Constitution.
    Alysheba, SHELLEE and sputnik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I support Sputnik on the forced vasectomy idea - even if this means a special amendment to the Constitution.
    Unnecessary It could be done extrajudicially.
    this asshole is probably more to blame for his kids' deaths than andrea yates ever was.
    a thousand times this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information