Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By CornFlakegrl
  • 5 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 1 Post By darksithbunny

Thread: Ohio man cleared of murder after 39 years in jail to get $1 million: newspaper

Silver Member

Default Ohio man cleared of murder after 39 years in jail to get $1 million: newspaper

An Ohio man freed last year after spending 39 years in jail for a murder he did not commit will receive roughly $1 million from the state for his wrongful imprisonment, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported on Thursday.
    The paper said an Ohio Court of Claims judge ordered that the sum be paid to Ricky Jackson, the longest-held U.S. prisoner to be cleared of a crime.
    "Wow, I didn't know that," said Jackson, who learnt the news from a journalist. "Wow, wow, wow, that's fantastic, man. I don't even know what to say. This is going to mean so much."
    Jackson was convicted along with Wiley Bridgeman and Bridgeman's brother, Kwame Ajamu, for the 1975 murder of Harold Franks, a money order salesman in the Cleveland area, after a 12-year-old boy testified he saw the attack, court papers show.
    The boy, Eddie Vernon, recanted his testimony years later, and told authorities he had never actually witnessed the crime. There was no other evidence linking Jackson to the killing.
    Other witnesses confirmed the then-teenaged Jackson was on a school bus at the time of the killing. He had originally been sentenced to death but escaped because of a paperwork error.
    Bridgeman was freed soon after Jackson, after the charges were dismissed last November. Although Bridgeman had first been freed in 2002, he was imprisoned again for a probation violation, defense attorneys said.
    A Cleveland judge in December dropped all charges against Ajamu, who spent 27 years in jail before having his death sentence commuted and being freed in 2003.
    The 39 years Jackson spent in jail was the longest time a prisoner had been held before being exonerated, the Ohio Innocence Project, which provided legal counsel to Jackson, and the National Registry of Exonerations said.
    (Reporting by Curtis Skinner in San Francisco; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

Ohio man cleared of murder after 39 years in jail to get $1 million: newspaper

A million seems paltry for all those years.
    Flygirl and darksithbunny like this.

Elite Member

Seriously. If this was 1975 a mil may have set him up for life, but we're in 2015 (hello state of Ohio!!) and it does not stretch like it used to, especially considering it was in trade for his freedom.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Other witnesses confirmed the then-teenaged Jackson was on a school bus at the time of the killing. He had originally been sentenced to death but escaped because of a paperwork error.
    This is just one reason why capital punishment must be abolished.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    Seriously. If this was 1975 a mil may have set him up for life, but we're in 2015 (hello state of Ohio!!) and it does not stretch like it used to, especially considering it was in trade for his freedom.
    Yeah, I was going to say that he seems awfully happy about this sum, but he may still be thinking in terms of how far that would stretch in 1975, which is when he last lived in the real world. Actually he was convicted when he was only 18, so he probably never lived on his own, and managed his own money, amongst innumerable other things he never got to do. He has spent all 39 years of his adult life in prison. It's staggering. One million dollars is not nearly enough to compensate for that. Not that you can put a price on four decades of freedom, really, but it should have been ten times that. I hope he gets help managing the money. I don't want him to have to worry about anything ever again.

I hate to say it, but I won't be surprised if he ends up back in jail. That's a long time to be away from the world. He may do something on purpose to be put back in. I really hope he makes it. 1 millions is nothing, they know they should give him much more than that. Maybe he will sue for more.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

Thread Information