Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By witchcurlgirl

Thread: FBI Agent Shot Up Evidence Against Hundreds of Heroin Dealers: Report

Default FBI Agent Shot Up Evidence Against Hundreds of Heroin Dealers: Report

FBI Agent Shot Up Evidence Against Hundreds of Heroin Dealers: Report

A heroin-addicted FBI agent ingested the evidence against at least 28 alleged drug dealers, leading the agency to dismiss dozens of charges—and as many as 150 defendants could go free as a result, the Washington Post reports.

The agent, Matthew Lowry, worked on a heroin task force, which enabled him to steal seized heroin from the evidence room for his own personal use for more than year, investigators say. According to the Post, Lowry was allegedly able to hide his thefts for at least 14 months, in part because of lax FBI regulations that enabled him to transport the drugs, alone, in his personal vehicle.

Lowry's system was basically quite simple, according to the FBI documents and a summary of his statements to investigators, in which he told them how he took drug evidence from cases with code names including Broken Cord, Family Matters, Tequila Shot and Smellin Like a Rose.

He checked out drugs from cases he had worked on the pretense of taking them to a lab to be tested for trial. He kept the drugs — sometimes for days or weeks, other times for months — and used a little bit nearly every day, he told investigators. He eventually submitted the drugs to the lab and took them back to the FBI office when testing was done.

Lowry described for investigators a painstaking process used to circumvent rules and procedures and avoid detection, court documents state. He said he forged signatures of supervisors to authorize withdrawals and of colleagues to reseal evidence bags he had cut open, taking time to practice the signatures. He often targeted cases that were already resolved, making it less likely another agent would need the drugs and notice that evidence was missing.

Lowry told investigators he routinely used a filler to repackage bags of heroin. He said he often added an over-the-counter laxative but also used creatine, a chemical commonly mixed with heroin before it hits the street. An FBI memo said Lowry used a digital scale — taken from a drug house — to ensure that he repackaged the drugs at close to their initial weight.

And Lowry isn't the only one circumventing the legal chain of custody required to prosecute criminal cases: according to the Post, a recent FBI investigation "found that every one of the nation's field offices had problems tracking gun and drug evidence and that in some cases, drugs disappeared for months without notice."

"I think that over time the controls begin to loosen. It never occurs to them that somebody would make off with the drugs and steal the money," a retired Justice Department inspector general tells the Post.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think the story is contradicting itself a little. If the case is already resolved, then the heroin in question was already tested, and the defendant convicted. If however, he ingested the heroin on an active case, then that particular case would be dismissed.

I believe this crap goes on much more than we know. Way back when I was in high school a classmate got pulled over and had a bag of pot. The cop looked at it, told the kid teh bag was large enough that the charges would be intent to deliver, so he would cut him a break and only report a smaller amount. Guess who took the other part? Of course the kid wasn't going to report it and risk the higher charges, so the cop got some free pot, and the kid got a slap on the wrist.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I believe this crap goes on much more than we know. Way back when I was in high school a classmate got pulled over and had a bag of pot. The cop looked at it, told the kid teh bag was large enough that the charges would be intent to deliver, so he would cut him a break and only report a smaller amount. Guess who took the other part? Of course the kid wasn't going to report it and risk the higher charges, so the cop got some free pot, and the kid got a slap on the wrist.
    There are also doctors who raid the anesthesia/painkiller supplies. I think there was even a dentist who took all the nitrous oxide for himself and then gave his patients a blast of nothingness to deal with their discomfort.
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.

^ absolutely. there's a famous old NYPD case where the cops stole $70 million of the 'French Connection' heroin. if you google 'drugs stolen from evidence' the amount of hits are mind blowing
    sluce likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

ETA- my absolutely was to Sluce.

As a cynical jaded pessimist, this doesn't surprise me at all. Money, power, sex, drugs, etc corrupt. Not everyone obviously, but a larger majority than even I'd like to think about.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Thread Information