Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By faithanne
  • 1 Post By sluce
  • 3 Post By Kittylady

Thread: Teacher Arrested After Writing Futuristic Novel About School Shooting

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Default Teacher Arrested After Writing Futuristic Novel About School Shooting

Cambridge Mace's Lane Middle School Teacher on Administrative Leave

Patrick McLaw

CAMBRIDGE, Md.- He's a man with many names, and the books he has written have raised the concerns of the Dorchester County Board of Education and the Dorchester County Sheriff's Office.

Early last week the school board was alerted that one of its eighth grade language arts teachers at Mace's Lane Middle School had several aliases. Police said that under those names, he wrote two fictional books about the largest school shooting in the country's history set in the future. Now, Patrick McLaw is placed on leave.

Dr. K.S. Voltaer is better known by some in Dorchester County as Patrick McLaw, or even Patrick Beale. Not only was he a teacher at Mace's Lane Middle School in Cambridge, but according to Dorchester Sheriff James Phillips, McLaw is also the author of two books: "The Insurrectionist" and its sequel, "Lillith's Heir."

Those books are what caught the attention of police and school board officials in Dorchester County. "The Insurrectionist" is about two school shootings set in the future, the largest in the country's history.

Phillips said McLaw was taken in for an emergency medical evaluation. The sheriff would not disclose where McLaw is now, but he did say that he is not on the Eastern Shore. The same day that McLaw was taken in for an evaluation, police swept Mace's Lane Middle School for bombs and guns, coming up empty.

Dorchester County Superintendent of Schools Dr. Henry Wagner said the Dorchester County Board of Education has taken its own action.

"We have advised our community that the gentleman has been placed on administrative leave, and has been prohibited from entering any Dorchester County public school property," Wagner said.

The 23-year-old language arts teacher had already taught at the school for a year.

With school starting Tuesday, some parents tell WBOC they are concerned about safety, but both Wagner and Phillips said there is nothing to worry about.

"There will be a Cambridge Police Department presence at Mace's Lane middle school for as long as we deem it necessary," Wagner said.

"I think that the various police agencies that we have, working in conjunction with the board have a handle on the situation and I think we're going to have a safe and happy opening day of school tomorrow," Phillips said in an interview Monday with WBOC..
    Phillips said law enforcement across Delmarva have been sent McLaw's photo and information. The sheriff said McLaw is banned from county properties in Dorchester and Wicomico counties, as well as the Delmar School District.

Cambridge Mace's Lane Middle School Teacher on Administrative Le - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

From another article I've read the book is apparently set 1000 years in the future, this guy is not the registered owner of any firearms and the "aliases" are actually the nom de plumes he writes under.

I really don't understand the heavy handed reaction to this - a 9 year old is considered responsible enough to be given an Uzi to shoot (until it was tragically proven otherwise) but a fully grown teacher who writes a book is slammed by the law and faces losing his academic career for writing about a subject that has to be in the mind of anyone who works in the US school system. /smh
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

^I thought the same thing about the "aliases" - he's a writer FFS. Better go arrest George Orwell and George Eliot.

How are they allowed to do this? Am I missing something that would justify them arresting him, getting a psych evaluation and putting him on forced leave?
    Kittylady likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I read this in disbelief and believe there must be info that they are not releasing that caused them to sweep the school for bombs and guns. Or is it a total over reaction in which case I hope he sues the district. But we also need to keep in mind that they could not force him to get an emergency medical (read that as mental health) eval without cause or consent. My gut says there is more to this story but if they release it they could be violating HIPPA.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

If I was in his position I would consider consenting to an emergency medical eval in an attempt to prove that I'm not a dangerous lunatic and to have supporting time of arrest proof of my mental well being when I sued them into oblivion.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Thread Information