Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: 9 year old child accidentally kills gun instructor with uzi

Default 9 year old child accidentally kills gun instructor with uzi

CNN) -- A shooting instructor is dead, the victim of a gun-range accident. A 9-year-old girl is surely traumatized. And plenty of people, including many gun enthusiasts, are asking: Why give a child a submachine gun to shoot?

The deadly incident occurred Monday morning at a gun range in Arizona that caters to Las Vegas tourists, many of whom drive an hour from the gambling center to fire high-powered weapons.

Charles Vacca was accidentally shot in the head as he instructed the 9-year-old girl how to fire an Uzi, an Israeli-made 9mm submachine gun. As she pulled the trigger, the gun jumped out of her left hand toward Vacca, who was standing beside her.

"To put an Uzi in the hands of a 9-year-old ... is extremely reckless, " CNN law enforcement analyst Tom Fuentes said.

Gun experts contacted by CNN on Wednesday said young children should be taught to shoot with single-shot firearms rather than submachine guns.
    They also said that safe learning is connected to the ability and experience of the instructor.

"It's always the supervision," said Greg Danas, president of Massachusetts-based G&G Firearms. "But you also have gun enthusiasts running businesses where they place firearms in the hands of the uninformed, whether they're 9-year-old kids who are not capable or adults. It all stems from gun enthusiasts running businesses that require a level of professionalism and education. The unexpected with firearms is something that's only learned through years of being a trainer, not a gun enthusiast."

Representatives of the gun range declined CNN requests for comment on the incident. But Sam Scarmardo, who operates Bullets and Burgers, told CNN affiliate KLAS on Tuesday they "really don't know what happened."

"Our guys are trained to basically hover over people when they're shooting," Scarmardo said. "If they're shooting right-handed, we have our right-hand behind them ready to push the weapon out of the way. And if they're left-handed, the same thing."
    Vacca had his right hand on the girl's back and his left hand under her right arm when he was shot.

continued
    9-year-old accidentally kills range instructor with Uzi - CNN.com

The problem is they waited until she was 9 to start her Uzi training - most kids should be Uzi-proficient by 6 at the latest.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Let's see. A nine-year-old with an Uzi on a gun range. Oh, yeah. That's going to turn out well.
    Kittylady likes this.
    Rock the fuck on!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Gun rights, 'Murrica, yeah!

Poor kid. She's got to live with this.

Fucking uzi?? What in the fuck is wrong with people? Who is the ever-loving fuck needs an uzi?

Well the range owner says they start training kids on uzi use at 8 so she was old enough. The younger kids can only use non-automatic weapons.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I've been reading about the story on other sites.

Apparently, the Uzi is a notoriously difficult gun to handle even for an adult. One person, who served in the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) said that they were told multiple times that if they ever put their Uzi on automatic, they would automatically be court martialed.

It also kind of dovetails with the recent story of the guy who was killed on a gun range by the PTSD soldier he was trying to treat through "shooting therapy".

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/04/justic...sniper-killed/
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post

Gun experts contacted by CNN on Wednesday said young children should be taught to shoot with single-shot firearms rather than submachine guns.

9-year-old accidentally kills range instructor with Uzi - CNN.com
    What a brilliant statement. I'm just dumbfounded by the ignorance of people.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Elite Member

This place is basically a Hooters with machine guns. What could go wrong?

She wants to join some militia group!! I don't think she's too scarred
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

there are children guns!
    ok. ....

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Poor kid. She's got to live with this.

Fucking uzi?? What in the fuck is wrong with people? Who is the ever-loving fuck needs an uzi?
    Well you never know when you are going to come across a kevlar-coated, tooled up Rambo deer when out hunting...

And once again this has made me thankful that guns are not a common part of life here.
    Serendipity, KrisNine and Sarzy like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    What a brilliant statement. I'm just dumbfounded by the ignorance of people.
    yeah, that statement almost made me laugh. how about: young children should not be taught to shoot at all.
    kasippu likes this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

The story went that the instructor allowed her to fire a single shot, then HE switched the gun to automatic fire mode and when the gun kicked back (and yeah, I watched the video), she was unable to control it. Gun swung left and blasted the guy in the head. Stupid, ignorant stuff.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information