Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree496Likes

Thread: Cop kills unarmed kid in my town

Unhappy Cop kills unarmed kid in my town

Its making national news. Don't know the real story, but apparently cop killed unarmed kid (just graduated high school) yesterday in my town. I just returned from FL today, and hundreds of protesters are outside the local PD, street is blocked. Witnesses have one story, cops have another story. County police investigating. Middle daughter (my troubled daughter) knew kid casually from other friends. These cop brutality stories are getting worse by the day. the dead kid was black. They left this poor kid dead in the street for 4 fucking hours. He was set to start trade school this week. My town is diverse, but blacks are probably in the majority here. Not that that matters, but it doesn't help race relations. Race relations here have always been pretty good, so far the protests have been peaceful, but now Sharpton is weighing in. WTF is happening in this country? The CA cop beating the shit out of that lady on the side of the highway, the NY cop strangleholding that guy a few months ago. I'm sure there's stories about my town's case on the web, but I just got home from a 17 hour drive and I'm beat. Just disgusted, sad and needed to vent. I live in Missouri if you're wondering. DEPRESSED!

Michael Brown's fatal shooting by police sparks outcry - Newsday

Killing of black Missouri man, Michael Brown, draws criticism
    Originally published: August 10, 2014 7:41 AM
    Updated: August 10, 2014 7:15 PM
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

A local police chief police says Saturday's fatal shooting of a black teenager in suburban St. Louis, Missouri came after an altercation with police. The shooting has prompted protests, and the officer has been placed on administrative leave. (Aug. 10)
    Travel deals

FERGUSON, Mo. - An 18-year-old black man shot multiple times by a suburban St. Louis police officer was unarmed when he died, police said Sunday, as hundreds of local residents protested and a civil rights leader expressed outrage at the killing.
    Michael Brown had graduated from high school and was about to enter a local college, said his mother, Lesley McSpadden.
    St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said the shooting occurred after an officer encountered two people — one of whom was Brown — on the street near an apartment complex Saturday afternoon in Ferguson, a predominantly black suburb a few miles north of downtown St. Louis.
    Belmar said one of the men pushed the officer back into his squad car and a struggle began. Belmar said at least one shot was fired from the officer's gun inside the police car. Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said authorities were still sorting out what happened inside the police car. It was not clear if Brown was the man who struggled with the officer.
    The struggle spilled out into the street, where Brown was shot multiple times. Belmar said the exact number of shots wasn't known, but "it was more than just a couple." He also said all shell casings found at the scene matched the officer's gun. Police are still investigating why the officer shot Brown, who police have confirmed was unarmed.
    Jackson said the second person has not been arrested or charged and was expected to be interviewed later Sunday. Authorities aren't sure if that person was unarmed, Jackson said.
    McSpadden said she doesn't understand why police didn't subdue her son with a club or Taser instead of shooting him, and she said the officer involved should be fired and prosecuted.
    "I would like to see him go to jail with the death penalty," she said Sunday at the site of the shooting, fighting back tears.
    The killing drew criticism from some civil rights leaders, and they referred to the 2012 racially charged shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by a Florida neighborhood watch organizer who was acquitted of murder charges, as well as the New York City man who died from a police chokehold.
    "We're outraged because yet again a young African-American man has been killed by law enforcement," said John Gaskin, who serves on both the St. Louis County and national boards of directors for the NAACP.
    The Rev. Al Sharpton called the shooting death "very disturbing" and the New York-based civil rights leader said he planned to go to Ferguson to meet with the family Monday night or Tuesday.
    A few hundred protesters gathered outside Ferguson Police headquarters about the time the news conference was to begin. At one point, many of them marched into an adjacent police building, some chanting "Don't shoot me" while holding their hands in the air. Officers stood at the top of a staircase, but didn't use force; the crowd eventually left.
    Protesters outside chanted slogans — "No justice, no peace" and "We want answers" — and some carried signs that read "Stop police terrorism" and "Disarm the police."
    Critics have contended that police in the St. Louis area too often target young black men. Statistics on police-involved shootings in the region were not immediately available.
    St. Louis County Police Department is in charge of the investigation. County Executive Charlie Dooley, who showed up at the protest Sunday to urge calm, said he will request an FBI investigation. U.S. Justice Department spokeswoman Dena Iverson said Sunday that Attorney General Eric Holder had instructed attorneys in the department's civil rights division to monitor developments.
    The race of the police officer involved in the shooting has not been disclosed. He has been with the Ferguson Police Department for six years, Belmar said, noting he wasn't aware of other issues involving the officer. He has been placed on paid administrative leave, which is a common procedure after police shootings.
    Several protesters were angry that Brown's body remained on the street for hours after the killing. Belmar said that officers "had to practice our due diligence and that's why it took as long as it did."

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Wait.. so the dudes assaulted the police officer first? I'm going to have to hear more about this before I can pass judgement. Unarmed doesn't mean "not dangerous".

yes I'm curious if the real story ever be put out there. this just happened yesterday.

Don't worry, Al sharpton is on the job.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Gold Member

I don't know about that. Sharpton's a little preoccupied up in Staten Island at the moment..

its 1:30 a.m. here and these idiots are looting stores now. Just ridiculous. As if looting will make the situation better. I can't sleep from worry. Not fun. Supposed to go to work tomorrow but if they're still rioting no way am i leaving my house and my 15 yr old home alone. just bullshit.

What an awful situation. It must be v scary. I hope you're ok, Rockchick. Do you think you could work from home at all? Or take your 15 year old to stay with a relative or friend for the day? It might give you some peace of mind.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    Wait.. so the dudes assaulted the police officer first?
    I'm sure the audio from the police dash cam video will support this, if this happened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

I'm also curious why the body was in the street for 4 hours. However it happened, it's a senseless tragedy.

ok, my boss told me to stay home today. they burned down a quick trip and looted cell phone stores last night. another rally here in an hour. daughter #1 is so scared she stayed at a hotel last night.

So sorry this is going on where you live, rockchick. Very scary and unsettling.

I wish that in situations like this, the people protesting would stick with the protest and not wreck and loot stores and destroy property. The people that own those businesses don't have anything to do with what happened with the police. The whole point of their protest is lost and the focus ends up being on the things they're doing, not with figuring out what happened with this young guy.

I just read that the PD cars aren't equipped with dash cams. Not sure of audio.

rally over. peaceful so far. For the first time in my life I'm thinking of buying a gun. if these rioters start invading neighborhoods i dont plan on being defenseless. shitty way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I wish that in situations like this, the people protesting would stick with the protest and not wreck and loot stores and destroy property. The people that own those businesses don't have anything to do with what happened with the police. The whole point of their protest is lost and the focus ends up being on the things they're doing, not with figuring out what happened with this young guy.

I just read that the PD cars aren't equipped with dash cams. Not sure of audio.
    i understand what you're saying. the problem is that when these things happen, it's not simply a protest. the kid's shooting was an event that peeled back the crappy bandaid that's doing a shitty job of holding together america's race relations but the problem is, you peel that bandaid back, and all the anger and frustration comes pouring out. i'm not saying that to excuse/justify looting and rioting, just saying that they are symptoms of a much deeper problem that goes way beyond one story and one unarmed black kid getting shot by the police.

it's not even really about whether or not the policemen were right and who attacked who first. and no, don't buy a gun, rockchick.

eta: and it's not just america. remember the riots and looting in recent years in paris and london.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Also, the people looting are not necessarily The same as the protesters but other people taking advantage of a chaotic situation. It gives legitimate protesters a bad name and allows the publc at large to dismiss their concerns.
    laynes, dexter7, Kittylady and 5 others like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information