Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Honeythorn
  • 1 Post By KrisNine

Thread: Judge rethinks sentencing rapist to volunteer at rape crisis center

Default Judge rethinks sentencing rapist to volunteer at rape crisis center

It was an unheard of probation condition — ordering an admitted rapist to do volunteer work at a rape crisis center.
    Now the Dallas County district judge who ordered it is rapidly backpedaling.
    “I’m sure she probably thought that it was his way of giving back perhaps. But it’s just not an appropriate place for him to do his community supervision,” said Bobbie Villareal, executive director of the Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center.

State District Judge Jeanine Howard, known in courthouse circles for her creative sentencing approaches, shocked and disturbed victim advocates when she imposed the condition that the defendant serve “250 hours of community service at a rape crisis center” last week.
    The defendant, Sir Young, had pleaded guilty to the October 2011 rape of a 14-year-old girl in a practice room at Booker T. Washington High School, where they were both students.
    “There’s just so many problems with that,” Villareal said. “First of all, we would worry about our client safety and well-being, the appropriateness of them having any kind of contact with survivors — even if it was a past victimization. Just having a criminal defendant in the office could be a triggering effect for many of our clients."

Villareal said she received a call from the probation department on Tuesday asking if Young could serve his volunteer work there. She politely told the probation officer "no."

“[We] had a really nice conversation with them, but told them — first of all — that we have a strict policy on our volunteers,” Villareal said. “They can have no criminal backgrounds whatsoever.”
    Howard was not available for comment because Young’s case is still pending in her court, according to her court coordinator, Jerry Barker.
    “The judge and the probation department are modifying his conditions,” Barker said. “They’re working on it right now. They’re going to come up with a different order for him to do his community service somewhere else.”

Villareal said she also wasn’t pleased with the rest of the sentence Howard handed down.

Howard sentenced Young, 20, to serve five years' deferred adjudication probation, meaning he won’t have a conviction if he successfully meets the requirements. Young had faced up to two decades in prison.
    “It is a deterrent to all survivors when you see a very lenient sentence like this passed down,” Villareal said. “It sends a devastating message to survivors of sexual assault. That victim’s family definitely didn’t feel like there was justice for her and for other survivors of sexual assault.”
    Young is currently in the Dallas County jail serving a 45-day jail sentence, another of the conditions that Howard imposed. He also must serve two days in jail every October 4 — the anniversary of the rape — while he’s on probation.
    Probation officials said it has not yet been decided where Young will do his volunteer work, but it seems clear it likely won’t be around crime victims.

E-mail teiserer@wfaa.com

Judge rethinks sentencing rapist to volunteer at rape crisis center | kvue.com Austin

5 years probation for a rape he committed when he was 18?! And he won't even have a conviction if he meets the requirements of his probation? Am I reading that correctly?

^^^^ Apparently because the victim wasn't a fucking girl scout, her rape didn't matter. The judge said the girl was not the "victim she claimed to be" because she had three previous sexual partners and a baby. Nevermind that he admitted to the rape and plead guilty. Nope, that doesn't prove she's a victim.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

^Jesus christ.

What the actual fuck is going on with these Judges handing down light ass sentences on rapist????
    rockchick and garysgirl1999 like this.

fuck you, texas!
    oh and his name is Sir? for fucking real?!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^^^
    seriously! i had to re-read that because i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.
    The defendant, Sir Young
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well, the victim "wasn't the victim she claimed to be" because she had sex and had given birth. And, he is not a "your typical sex offender". What is that exactly? So, one rape that he's guilty of, doesn't make you a typical sex offender? What is a typical sex offender? Sure, maybe he's not out there raping villages of women, but one rape makes you a sexual offender. Maybe not a serial predator, but one, two or ten rapes, he's still a rapist. Even his own attorney admits that yeah, in this case he raped, but he's not going to do it again. He raped this girl because they talked about having sex on a few occasions and she agreed to have sex with him, just not at school. I guess he wanted it at school that day.
    manningmsj likes this.

Thread Information