Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Club Kid Michael Alig to be released from prison

Default Club Kid Michael Alig to be released from prison

I would hope he'd be smart enough to stay far away from clubs.

Club Kid Founder Michael Alig To Be Released From Prison: ‚€œNo Chance‚€Ě He Will Party / Queerty

Club Kid Founder Michael Alig To Be Released From Prison: “No Chance” He Will Party

Richie Rich and Michael Alig

Michael Alig, the quintessential party boy who reigned supreme over New York City’s gay party scene throughout the early ’90s, is due to be released from jail on May 5, according to a personal friend reporting for BlackBook.

Alig is credited with fueling the early days of the “club kid” scene and throwing some of the greatest and most historical gay events in a pre-Giuliani New York City. His life and conviction inspired the Fenton Bailey-directed movie Party Monster, which detailed the events leading up to March 17, 1996 — the day Alig murdered and dismembered the body of his drug dealer Angel Melendez in the apartment they shared.

Alig’s arrest was largely credited to Michael Musto’s unrelenting reporting for the Village Voice at the time. The investigation also led to the arrest of Peter Gatien, a legendary New York club owner who is now banned from entering the United States.

Alig has been up for parole several times since 2006, but was allegedly denied after his parole officers obtained and watched a copy of Party Monster. (FYI, for those interested, a more informational documentary about Alig’s life was released in 1998, called Party Monster: The Shocukmentary. It’s available to stream on YouTube.)

According to BlackBook writer Steve Lewis, Alig has been recruited for creative jobs and will stay with a friend once released from prison. “There is no chance that he will return to clubs as a way of life,” he says, “but he will paint and write, and as always, try to impact the way we think.” Alig has reportedly “never used a computer or cell phone, but has remained keenly aware of the world we live in.”

Furthermore, after several visits in the past few years, Lewis believes Alig has been rehabilitated:

I was for many years Michael’s friend. Like so many others, I left him behind when drugs and power created a “Party Monster.” We reconnected in recent years, and during my visits to him in prison I observed the Michael Alig that I loved—the Alig prior the downfall. I believe he is ready to enter the world, and that reentering will be a good thing. No one, no act, no time, no hatred will bring back Angel, but Michael has served a great deal of his adult life in a bad place. I believe he has been rehabilitated. I believe he is forever remorseful and I look forward to his redux. To those who say nay, I respect that, but hope chances are given, and that we can move on. It is a time to remember Angel and reflect on the meaning of life. For me, forgiveness is part of it.

Below, watch a trailer for Party Monster, the 2003 film inspired by Michael Alig’s life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Scary. This guy is a piece of work.

So, what was he ultimately found guilty of that he would even be eligible for parole after murdering and dismemebering someone?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    So, what was he ultimately found guilty of that he would even be eligible for parole after murdering and dismemebering someone?!?
    He was only sentenced to 15-20 years.
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

He pleaded guilty to first degree MANSLAUGHTER and was sentenced to 10 to 20 years. He did a big chunk of that time.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(ē_ē)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^ I'll be the first to admit I don't know the details of the case, but murdering and dismembering someone = manslaughter just doesn't seem logical...

I wonder if he feels remorse. I've read interviews from when he was in there and he was just bitching that people didn't have the same sense of humor he did. Its not summer camp.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

^^ I'll be the first to admit I don't know the details of the case, but murdering and dismembering someone = manslaughter just doesn't seem logical...
    yeah, that's why I put it in caps. I hadn't realized he got manslaughter. crazy.
    ETA: of course, he didn't act alone. and the cops didn't seem to give a shit about finding some gay puerta rican drug dealer. supposedly, Alig and Angel got into a fight one night in March. Alig's roommate "Freeze" hears the ruckus, goes in and sees Angel choking Alig. "Freeze" grabs a hammer and smacks Angel in the head a few times. At that point, supposedly, Alig told Freeze to leave the room. Freeze comes back and there is a broken hypodermic and Alig either shot Angel up with Draino or poured it in his mouth and then duct taped it closed. They then put the body in a tub and iced it down until it started to stink. Once the stink kicked in, Alig shot himself up with heroin and dismember the guy. They then threw him in the Hudson. From March to November, nothing was done about it. The cops didn't fucking care. It's just some gay puerto rican drug dealer missing. Then they realized they had a corpse in the morgue that matched what Alig had been telling everyone he'd done to Angel.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(ē_ē)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

the fight started over Michael stealing drugs out of Angel's stash.
    @NickoMoralesXXX

Bronze Member

Default "Party Monster" Club Kids co founder to be released

"The Club Kids co-founder, famously played by Macaulay Culkin in the druggy 2003 biopic, will be set free May 5 after serving time in a New York prison for murder and dismemberment. Club Kids co-founder Michael Alig soon will be a free man again after serving 17 years for the murder and dismemberment of drug dealer Andre "Angel" Melendez on March 17,1996."
    'Party Monster' Michael Alig to Be Released From Jail - Hollywood Reporter

Horrible subject but think it should be brought up on gr....

Bronze Member

oh crap, thanks!

apparently his partner in crime got out in 2010 too

Yeah, I don't know if I believe in rehabilitation for a crime that heinous, especially considering he apparently bragged about it afterward. That tells me he wasn't traumatized or even ashamed of his actions immediately after, which is a reaction I would expect from any sane person the very moment they realized what happened. I don't believe all murderers are incapable of remorse/recovery, but slicing and dicing a person shows a level of depravity that I don't think can ever really go away. Whether or not it can be suppressed, I guess we can only hope.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

I would give them a little more leeway for being extremely fucked up at the time if he hadn't bragged about it afterwards.
    CornFlakegrl likes this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information