Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Teen Who Killed Four People Got Off On Probation Because He's Rich

Default Teen Who Killed Four People Got Off On Probation Because He's Rich

Teen Who Killed Four People Got Off On Probation Because He's Rich

Expand

A 16-year-old boy who drunkenly killed four people got probation this week because the judge — with no apparent irony — agreed with the boy's defense that he was a victim of "affluenza," whose parents taught him wealth and privilege shield consequences. The teen had faced up to twenty years in prison.

Sixteen-year-old Ethan Couch admitted to four counts of manslaughter after he and seven other boys stole alcohol from Walmart, piled into his car and struck and killed four pedestrians while going 70 miles per hour in a 40 zone. One of his passengers remains in the hospital with severe brain damage, and nine other bystanders were also injured.

Couch's BAC was a .24 and he also had Valium in his system. According to reports, he was belligerent at the scene, at one point saying, "I'm outta here." Prosecutors were hoping to get up to 20 years.

Couch's defense was that he was a victim of his parents' wealth and privilege; in that he never had to face consequences, which an expert summarized prior to sentencing.
    He said Couch got whatever he wanted. As an example, Miller said Couch's parents gave no punishment after police ticketed the then-15-year-old when he was found in a parked pickup with a passed out, undressed 14-year-old girl.

Miller also pointed out that Couch was allowed to drive at 13. He said the teen was emotionally flat and needed years of therapy. At the time of the fatal wreck, Couch had a blood alcohol content of .24, said Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson. It is illegal for a minor to drive with any amount of alcohol in his or her system.
    The victims' families sort of agree with the reasoning, in that they too feel that Couch's privilege helped him avoid consequences.

Couch is now being sent to a $500,000-a-year counseling center. There are apparently five civil wrongful death suits pending against him totaling tens of millions of dollars.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Whoever said the rich don't get preferential treatment is a liar. Sickening.

nice. poor people go to jail and rich little bastards go to the spa. fuck RIGHT off with this shit! I hope his parents are ready to pay those fucking wrongful death suits because he's a victim of their fucking wealth!
    Shinola likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

This is hot news here. That one dad that lost his wife and daughter was just heartbreaking to see. He got a life sentence.
    Shinola and Novice like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Holy hell what in the fuck is the matter with that judge. This really enrages me.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

ok, i understand everyone's gut reaction but a few things:

Judge Jean Boyd told the court the reason for the probated sentence is because she believes Couch can be rehabilitated as long as he's away from his family and given the right treatment."If he messes up, we'll be right there waiting for him," said prosecutor Richard Alpert.
    If Couch violates any terms of his probation, he'll be re-sentenced for up to 10 years in prison.
    Even if he'd gotten the maximum of 20 years in Wednesday's decision, his attorney says he likely would've served two years or less since he's a minor.
    there has to be some truth about what rich, dysfunctional assholes the parents are if the judge believes the kid has to be away from his parents as long as possible. also, he would never have stayed in jail for 20 years, he would have been released in less than 2 years because he's a minor. so really, the kid's going to be back on the street before he's 18 in any case and i would rather he spend that year locked up in a counselling facility than in juvie. at least with intensive counselling he stands a chance at rehabilitation. also in the article is the fact that if he's admitted to the counselling facility, he would be allowed no contact at all with his parents for at least 6 months.
    yes, what he did is awful. but he's 16 and there's a chance he can be rehabilitated. and he's not going to be locked up for life, he'll be back out in very little time anyway, and it will be better for everyone if he comes out better than he went in.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

"emotionally flat", is that a new way to say raving sociopath?
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

So if he fucks up, he'll get only TEN years?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

He needs to be dropped in the middle of the German Autobahn.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Psychologist Admits Flub In Case Of ‘Spoiled Brat’ Texas Teen, As Unrest Grows Over Slap-On-The-Wrist Sentence In 4 DWI KillingsPosted on Dec 13, 2013 @ 7:21AM | By Adam S. Levy, Radar Staff Writer

As rage grows in the softball sentencing of Ethan Couch, a 16-year-old Texas boy who killed four people in a drunken driving incident, the psychologist whose testimony helped keep Couch out of prison admits he regrets the turn-of-phrase used to illustrate the teen’s heightened sense of entitlement.

G. Dick Miller, who testified that Couch suffered from affluenza — a condition that impaired his ability to connect actions to consequences, due to his hyper-privileged upbringing — told Anderson Cooper 360 Thursday, “I wish I hadn’t used that term.
    “Everyone seems to have hooked onto it,” Miller said. “We used to call these people spoiled brats.”

As we previously reported, Couch blew a .24 — three times the legal limit for an adult — three hours after he killed four people (Pastor Brian Jennings, 41; Hollie Boyles, 52; Shelby Boyles, 21; and Breanna Mitchell, 24) in Burleson, Tex. June 15, running them over in his Ford F-350. Authorities said Couch also had THC, valium and muscle relaxants in his system at the time of the incident, in which two boys in the back of the truck — Soliman Mohmand and Sergio Molina, both 15 at the time — also suffered severe injuries.
    While prosecutors were pushing for Couch to spend 20 years in jail, Couch’s defense attorney Scott Brown convinced District Judge Jean Boyd to sentence the teen to just 10 years of probation, in part citing the diagnosis of affluenza (a term the American Psychiatric Association does not acknowledge).

The shockingly-soft sentence has caused much anger both on a local and national level, as officials involved with the case, and relatives of the deceased, are speaking out about the perceived miscarriage of justice.

Psychologist Admits Flub In Case Of ‘Spoiled Brat’ Texas Teen, As Unrest Grows Over Slap-On-The-Wrist Sentence In 4 DWI Killings | Radar Online

He should lose his license.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Horrendous.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I hope this follows him every day. On every college application, every job interview, and every relationship he ever has. If nothing else, I want him to have to explain over and over and over again until his dying day how his being wealthy made him think it was okay to kill four people and injure nine others. I hope he fully recognizes the look of disgust for him on other peoples' faces when he sees it, too.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Mark it he will be in trouble again more than likely for killing someone else.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ok, i understand everyone's gut reaction but a few things:

there has to be some truth about what rich, dysfunctional assholes the parents are if the judge believes the kid has to be away from his parents as long as possible. also, he would never have stayed in jail for 20 years, he would have been released in less than 2 years because he's a minor. so really, the kid's going to be back on the street before he's 18 in any case and i would rather he spend that year locked up in a counselling facility than in juvie. at least with intensive counselling he stands a chance at rehabilitation. also in the article is the fact that if he's admitted to the counselling facility, he would be allowed no contact at all with his parents for at least 6 months.
    yes, what he did is awful. but he's 16 and there's a chance he can be rehabilitated. and he's not going to be locked up for life, he'll be back out in very little time anyway, and it will be better for everyone if he comes out better than he went in.
    I saw a different report, with more details about the parents....
    Affluenza Defense: Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 Pedestrians While Driving Drunk (VIDEO)

12/12/13 09:07 AM ET EST

Scott Brown, Crime, Video, Breanna Mitchell, Brian Jennings, Hollie Boyles, Richard Alpert, Shelby Boyles, Driving While Intoxicated, Drunk Driving, DWI, Jean Boyd, Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation, Crime News

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A North Texas teen from an affluent family was sentenced to probation this week after he killed four pedestrians when he lost control of his speeding pickup truck while driving drunk, a punishment that outraged the victims' families and left prosecutors disappointed.
    The 16-year-old boy was sentenced Tuesday in a Fort Worth juvenile court to 10 years of probation after he confessed to intoxication manslaughter in the June 15 crash on a dark rural road.
    Prosecutors had sought the maximum 20 years in state custody for the Keller teen, but his attorneys appealed to state District Judge Jean Boyd that the teenager needed rehabilitation not prison, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Teen sentenced to 10 years probation, rehab in 4 deaths | Crime and Safety | News from F... ) reported.
    If the boy continues to be cushioned by his family's wealth, another tragedy is inevitable, prosecutor Richard Alpert said in court.
    "There can be no doubt that he will be in another courthouse one day blaming the lenient treatment he received here," Alpert said.
    Authorities said the teen and friends were seen on surveillance video stealing two cases of beer from a store. He had seven passengers in his Ford F-350, was speeding and had a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit, according to testimony during the trial. His pickup truck slammed into the four pedestrians, killing Brian Jennings, a 43-year-old Burleson youth minister; Breanna Mitchell of Lillian, 24; Shelby Boyles, 21; and her 52-year-old mother, Hollie Boyles.
    Boyd said the programs available in the Texas juvenile justice system may not provide the kind of intensive therapy the teen could receive at a rehabilitation center near Newport Beach, Calif., that was suggested by his defense attorneys. The parents would pick up the tab for the center, at a cost of more than $450,000 a year for treatment.
    Scott Brown, the boy's lead defense attorney, said he could have been freed after two years if he had drawn the 20-year sentence.
    But instead, the judge "fashioned a sentence that could have him under the thumb of the justice system for the next 10 years," he told the Star-Telegram.
    Relatives of those killed in the accident drew little comfort from that assurance.
    Eric Boyles, who lost his wife and daughter, said the family's wealth helped the teen avoid incarceration.
    "Money always seems to keep you out of trouble," Boyles said. "Ultimately today, I felt that money did prevail. If you had been any other youth, I feel like the circumstances would have been different."
    Shaunna Jennings, the minister's widow, said her family had forgiven the teen but believed a sterner punishment was needed.
    "You lived a life of privilege and entitlement, and my prayer is that it does not get you out of this," she said. "My fear is that it will get you out of this."
    A psychologist called as an expert defense witness said the boy suffered from "affluenza," growing up in a house where the parents were preoccupied with arguments that led to a divorce.

The father "does not have relationships, he takes hostages," psychologist Gary Miller said, and the mother was indulgent. "Her mantra was that if it feels good, do it," he said.
    ___
    Information from: Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Star-Telegram.com | News, Videos & Commentary about Fort Worth, Arlington, Dallas, Texas, Cowboys & more
    He did wrong, this will follow him for the rest of his life, but what about rehabilitation of offenders? He's 16, and people can change a lot as they stop being teenagers and grow into adults.
    Free Charmed.

What was unnerving according to those in the courtroom was his total lack of remorse. He left his once good friend in a paralyzed state,unable to speak,for the rest his life. Maybe he will change after he is removed from his parents. I hope so.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information