Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stef

Thread: Thousands of Americans Are Serving Life Sentences for Nonviolent Crimes

Default Thousands of Americans Are Serving Life Sentences for Nonviolent Crimes

Thousands of Americans Are Serving Life Sentences for Nonviolent Crimes

A new investigation by the ACLU has found more than 3,000 people in this country who are serving life sentences without parole for nonviolent crimes, like drugs or theft. Unless something changes, these people will die in prison.

The ACLU's nationwide analysis turned up 3,278 people serving life without parole for nonviolent crimes across the nation. (Most of them are federal prisoners. Only nine individual states provided these statistics to the ACLU, so the real total could be higher.)

They calculate that it will cost taxpayers nearly $1.8 billion to keep these people in jail until they die. The vast majority of the group—almost 80%—are in jail for nonviolent drug crimes. Of those, four out of five are victims of mandatory sentencing laws that left judges with no choice.

About two thirds of these prisoners are black, and another 15% are Latino.
    Among the drug crimes that people cataloged in the ACLU report committed which sent them to prison for life without parole: possession of a single crack rock, possession of about an ounce of weed, possession of "a bottle cap containing a trace, unweighable amount of heroin," and "sharing several grams of LsD with Grateful Dead concertgoers."

I encourage you to read the full report, including the profiles of dozens of people who are locked in prison until death, and ask yourself if we should be proud to call this this American system of justice.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

jesus, those cases... i'm speechless.

p. 75:
    Stephanie Yvette George, a single mother of three, is serving life without parole for drugs her former boyfriend had stored in a lockbox in her attic and for her minor role in a crack cocaine conspiracy.

p.96:
    Sylvester Mead was sentenced to mandatory life without parole for a drunken threat to a police officer while handcuffed and sitting in the back of a patrol car on the way to a police station.

p. 104:

Anthony Jerome Jackson is serving LWOP for stealing a wallet from a hotel room.

p. 105:
    Phillip Earl Young was sentenced to LWOP for siphoning gasoline out of a truck.

p. 113:
    Ronald Lee Washington, 48, is serving LWOP for shoplifting two Michael Jordan jerseys from a Foot Action athletic store in Shreveport, Louisiana, in August 2004.

p. 124:
    Vincent Carnell Hudson was sentenced to LWOP for having a trace, unweighable amount of

cocaine in his pockets—an amountinvisible to the naked eye.

p. 138:
    Leon Horne is serving LWOP for damaging two patrol cars while being chased by police in New Orleans when he was 27 years old.

p. 146:
    Nathan Pettus was sentenced to LWOP for the theft of three Ed Hardy belts from a Dillard’s department store in Metairie, Louisiana, in January 2009.

i don't even know what to say about this. those three-strikes and habitual offender laws are unacceptable.
    Kittylady likes this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Thread Information