Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Online images probed after Ohio University student's rape report

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Default Online images probed after Ohio University student's rape report

Photo of couple engaging in public sex act actually picture of rape, female student says - NY Daily News

Photo of couple engaging in public sex act actually picture of rape, female student says

As many as 10 witnesses tweeted photos and video of a man having oral sex with a woman outside of a bank according to students who broadcast the scene on Twitter. The woman photographed now tells police that she was a victim of sexual assault and no one intervened. A website claiming to have seen a video of the incident says it appears consensual.

Comments (318)BY NINA GOLGOWSKI / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

PUBLISHED: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2013, 8:20 AM

@VY_VANCE/VIA TWITTER

A viral photo of two people appearing to engage in a public sex act near the Ohio University campus in Athens was actually rape, according to the woman photographed.

A university student photographed while appearing to be engaging in a public sex act near Ohio University's Athens campus tells police she was being raped as fellow students watched and uploaded pictures.
    As many as 10 people watched and tweeted pictures and even a video of the act while describing both their shock and humor of the scene unfolding, according to students who broadcast the scene on Twitter.
    The couple, described as being in their early 20s, is seen in several shots leaning against a Chase Bank window on Court Street - just a block from the Athens police station - as the man has oral sex with her.
    RELATED: MISSOURI FAMILY BECOMES TARGET IN SMALL TOWN AFTER TEEN CLAIMS SHE WAS RAPED
    But since the photos' upload, all of which appear to be deleted online, many have questioned whether the woman pictured wasn't actively engaging in the act herself.
    A college news website since claiming access to the event's 1:27 video Wednesday reports that the sex does appear consensual and the woman appeared to be enjoying herself.
    "Generally speaking, the two appeared to be willing participants who were, frankly, enjoying themselves," Total Frat Move reports after claiming to have accessed the footage through a "friend of a friend."
    WBNS-TV

Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle says it is shocking that bystanders did nothing but take photos for social media but perhaps they didn't know what they were seeing.

RELATED: NYU STUDENT ROBBED, ALMOST RAPED: COPS

"Two different times in the video, the male looked around at different onlookers and exchanged words with them. This was in response to jeers they hurled at the couple," they state.
    One day after the incident was filmed police tell 10Tv that the woman involved reported it as rape.
    Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle told the station they are investigating her claim and hope to speak with witnesses.
    RELATED: SAUDI ARABIAN PREACHER GETS 8 YEARS IN JAIL FOR RAPING FIVE-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
    One thing's for sure, any report of rape - and its photographing - is seen by them as no laughing matter.
    "The community at large views this as they watched and witnessed a sexual assault occurring, and did nothing but watch," said Chief Pyle. "But the flipside of that is that they may not have realized what they were witnessing."
    GOOGLE

In the photos, the couple is leaning against a Chase Bank window on Court Street not far from the Athens, Ohio, police station.

After finishing the act a source told Total Frat Move that the couple posed for pictures with each other and bystanders.
    RELATED: CEE LO GREEN ALLEGED SEXUAL BATTERY CASE: LAPD RE-INVESTIGATES WOMAN'S CLAIM
    Whether alcohol played a factor in the case is still under investigation.
    If one of the participants was "mentally or physically incapacitated, whether due to alcohol, drugs or some other condition," it can be considered as cause for expulsion according to university policy.
    Like police, Ohio student Allie Erwin says it's the behavior of her fellow students who stood around recording the event that surprises her the most.
    "Our first instinct as a community was not to intervene and help this woman but to post it on social media, and make a mockery of probably the most traumatic experience of her life," she told 10TV.
    "All that needed to happen was to say, 'Hey are you alright? Is this what you want to be happening?'" she said. "She obviously wasn't OK with what happened. It was rape. She reported it to the police as rape."
    ngolgowski@nydailynews.com
    On a mobile device? Watch the video here

Read more: Photo of couple engaging in public sex act actually picture of rape, female student says - NY Daily News

i haven't seen the pictures in question but i seriously doubt that if it didn't look consensual, people would be taking pictures and posting it on twitter. i think if people reacted like that it must have been that it didn't look to them as if anything non-consensual was going on. which isn't to say that it wasn't, just that if, for instance, i saw a chick giving a guy a blow job in, say, a public park, i would probably snicker and go on with my walk unless it actually looked like the woman wasn't a willing participant. it wouldn't cross my mind to call the police to report a sex act that looked consensual.

eta: i went to the link, and apparently it's the guy who was performing oral sex on the girl which would make it even less likely that people would report it. the whole story is weird. maybe she was drugged or something, otherwise how do you explain letting a guy go down on you in public, against your will, and not using the time when he's down there and can't see what you're doing, to signal to other people for help?

i mean, would you look at this and think rape?

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    eta: i went to the link, and apparently it's the guy who was performing oral sex on the girl which would make it even less likely that people would report it. the whole story is weird. maybe she was drugged or something, otherwise how do you explain letting a guy go down on you in public, against your will, and not using the time when he's down there and can't see what you're doing, to signal to other people for help?
    I was wondering the same thing. People are thinking that she was really drunk and that he took advantage of this situation. But how would anyone walking by know that?

Just because it doesn't look like rape doesn't mean it isn't rape.

When I was 16, I went to a birthday party, and the birthday boy got me drunk, it's not that I don't believe I wasn't responsible for my own actions because I was, however he put an enormous amount of pressure on me to drink and co-erced me into doing so. He used his friendship with me as leverage to get me to do what he wanted, and I didn't see the red flags, I didn't know he was interested in me, I had a boyfriend everyone knew about. But he put me in a position where I didn't feel like I could refuse the drinks he kept buying for me, he was a friend and he took advantage of the weaknesses in my personality. After this, he lied to me and put pressure on me to go back to his house. He was a friend, there were no red flags going off at this point. When I got to his house, it wasn't the after-party he had promised, there weren't 10 other girls there that he had promised were sleeping over too, it was just him and his stoner friend. His stoner friend must have been in on the ruse because he excused himself from the lounge with the words ''have fun you two'' and left us alone.

The guy then proceeded to sexually assault me. From the outside, I think it would have looked consensual, but inside I was screaming, I didn't know what to do, I didn't know how to get him off me. I was also paralyzed by the idea that I had to keep the status quo of our friendship, that I couldn't call my parents to come rescue me because I didn't have that type of relationship with them and they would blow up at me, so I played along, he was forcefully trying to undress me and I helped him because in my mind I would try and pacify him until I could plan an escape. What I was afraid of was that this guy was going to rape me, I rationalized getting groped was a price worth paying if I could avoid being raped.

From the outside it looked consensual but it was not. I was terrified of him and what he could potentially do to me. So I avoided the potential worse case scenario by playing along. At that point in my life no-one had taught me how to say no and I was terrified of pissing people off. Anyway, my plan worked, I got him off me without angering him, I curled up on a chair and stayed awake the whole night, I called my parents at 7am to come pick me up and I never spoke of it with anyone.

So in this case, if the woman claims it was sexual assault, I'll side with her. Just because it doesn't appear to be on the outside doesn't mean it isn't. But I don't blame the witnesses for not intervening either.

^^^
    i don't think anyone is saying it wasn't, just that, like you said, you can't expect people to call the cops and report a rape when what they witnessed looked consensual.
    that was really brazen of the guy though, it really was in plain sight.

I'm sorry that happened to you when you were younger. you never let on that you didn't want to do this, you let him buy you drinks, and you went back to his place, and you went along with his advances, so I have to ask: Do you think that at any point in this, he had any idea that you didn't want to be there and that you didn't want to have sex with him?

Please don't think that I'm in any way saying that what happened wasn't assault of that you were in any way to blame I just think your story highlights how important it is to talk to young girls about this and let them know it's ok to say no and that most rapes are committed by acquaintances/friends and that they shouldn't feel any pressure to go along with something they don't feel comfortable doing. And I can't help but blame your parents too, for giving you the impression that you couldn't reach out and ask for help if you found yourself in that sort of situation.
    not that boys don't need to be taught to respect women...
    Last edited by sputnik; October 18th, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
    Shinola likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. People are thinking that she was really drunk and that he took advantage of this situation. But how would anyone walking by know that?
    Agreed.

I'm sure they were both pretty drunk. In other articles it says they both posed for pictures afterwards and that she even put her hand on his head during the act. I guess I've just never heard of a guy raping a girl by going down on her. It's odd. Part of me thinks she was drunk and now she's embarrassed that it's out there on the internet. She could ruin this guys life by accusing him of something that wasn't truly assault.

She must've been very under the influence, because like sputnik said, she could have signaled to someone watching that it wasn't consensual. Maybe she was too fearful of the man to signal, I don't know. But it's very odd. My guess is that she was either very intoxicated to where she didn't realize what was going on (rape, though IMO if he was aware of that fact and used it to his advantage), or she's saying this out of embarrassment, now that it's broadcast everywhere.
    Last edited by Brah; October 18th, 2013 at 03:58 PM.

I could see how someone would lie about that because of embarrassment, but that's really not the right thing to do. If she was lying, she should confess soon. That guy could get into alot of trouble. Probably he really did rape her though, meaning she was very drunk and he took advantage and she was afraid to signal for help. He may have been looking down, but he was still right there. He could attack, until the third person stopped him. I don't know, but it is a very weird story.

^^^^
    maybe he was incredibly drunk too? (which would explain going down on a chick in plain sight in a public place). in which case, if both are super drunk, and the girl doesn't say no or fight back and the guy hasn't been given any indication that the chick isn't into it, is it still rape?
    laynes likes this.

But there were people standing around, taking pictures and at some points talking to them. It's just a very weird story because the facts are so weird. Maybe she was really drunk, but maybe he was too. Even though the rape culture of teens/college students seems to be really running rampant, is the solution that a drunk boy becomes responsible for a drunk girl?

Yowzers, I'm sorry for your experience.
    laynes, yowzers and Banshee like this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

In my opinion, no it is not. If the situation were reversed, most people wouldn't care. They would wonder why the guy even reported being raped by someone.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    i don't think anyone is saying it wasn't, just that, like you said, you can't expect people to call the cops and report a rape when what they witnessed looked consensual.
    that was really brazen of the guy though, it really was in plain sight.

I'm sorry that happened to you when you were younger. you never let on that you didn't want to do this, you let him buy you drinks, and you went back to his place, and you went along with his advances, so I have to ask: Do you think that at any point in this, he had any idea that you didn't want to be there and that you didn't want to have sex with him?

Please don't think that I'm in any way saying that what happened wasn't assault of that you were in any way to blame I just think your story highlights how important it is to talk to young girls about this and let them know it's ok to say no and that most rapes are committed by acquaintances/friends and that they shouldn't feel any pressure to go along with something they don't feel comfortable doing. And I can't help but blame your parents too, for giving you the impression that you couldn't reach out and ask for help if you found yourself in that sort of situation.
    not that boys don't need to be taught to respect women...
    I've thought about what happened since, and I, because of what happened feel very strongly that we have to start teaching girls how to say no, boys too actually. But we have to give girls permission to say no. I didn't think I had permission to 'upset' him, I was scared of making him angry, I was completely brainwashed by that, so I didn't know how to even say the word 'no'. I also now strongly believe that we need to teach boys/girls about consensual sex. It can't just be ''say no if you don't want this to happen'' because sometimes you're too scared to say no. I think it needs to be ''say an enthusiastic yes'' if you want this to happen. That's how I think this problem is solved.

So it's not that I completely blame everything on this boy, if I could go back I would have shouted 'no' from the rooftops but I wasn't that type of person back then. I was a people pleaser and very shy and everyone who knew me, knew I would never rock the boat.

However, looking back on it now, I realize that he had every intention of doing this to me and that I was completely unaware. When I was in high school with him, he used to bully me relentlessly, a key part of his bullying was calling me ugly. He started stalking me home from school, sitting next to me, putting his hand on my leg, all under the pretense that we were only friends, and that I shouldn't get creeped out because I was too ugly for him to consider a romantic interest. I never gave him any encouragement, I talked about my boyfriend to him, I talked about how I would never cheat on my boyfriend, I moved seats when he started doing this, I got off the bus earlier than I needed to and I started hanging back late at school to avoid going home with him. But I never blatantly told him to fuck off. That was the problem. I didn't know that I could do that.

I avoided him for the rest of school, and then at 16 we met back up at that party and I think he fully planned on getting me drunk and taking me home, it was his only chance right? So his intention was always there. He co-erced me into getting really drunk and then he lied to my face to make me go back to his house. The thing is, he really had to persuade me to do that, I wanted to go home, I talked about how my boyfriend wouldn't like me sleeping at his house, how my parents wouldn't allow me to change my plans, I remember him dialing my parents number from my cell and forcing me to talk to them. I was too trusting. I thought he was my friend.

Looking back I think I was a naive idiot, but did I deserve what happened to me, no?

Did he know I didn't want to go along with it? Yeah I think he did but perhaps in his mind he thought once he got things started I would give in to his charm.

Anyway because of this I know that even in a crowd some girls find it really really hard to signal/ask for help. I know this because I was one of them, and all I can describe it as is being paralyzed and not knowing what else to do. If the girl was embarrassed she wouldn't be saying anything at all IMO because she would just want it all to go away.

I think the other problem is that a lot of information is missing at this point. For example, were they friends previously? Did they meet and talk in the bar before this happened? Did he first meet her, and accost her, outside the bar? Did he have friends around him, cheering him on in a way that would have intimidated her and led her to just hope whatever he was doing he would do quickly and she could get away? How much did either of them drink? Did she really hang out with him after it was over?
    yowzers likes this.

Maybe I'm stupid (shut up) but isn't his head in the wrong place if he's performing oral sex on her?

^That's what I was thinking.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information