Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Family Gets Driven Out of Missouri Town After Daughter Gets Raped

Default Family Gets Driven Out of Missouri Town After Daughter Gets Raped

Family Gets Driven Out of Missouri Town After Daughter Gets Raped

A horrifying story out of Missouri: A mother was run out of a small town after her daughter blacked out at a party filled with older high school athletes and was left, with clear marks of rape, on the front lawn of her home in freezing weather.

The Kansas City Star details how the small town of Maryville turned against a newly-arrived family after 14-year-old Daisy Coleman reported that an older athlete had sex with her while another older male videotaped, after she was given an alcoholic drink at a party that left her barely able to stand. Her friend, a 13-year-old, was also made to have non-consensual sex.

After a thorough investigation by the local police however, clearly implicating 17-year-old Matthew Barnett in the sexual assault, charges were inexplicably dropped by the prosecuting attorney. Barnett, coincidentally, is the grandson of a prominent former Missouri state representative.

Star reporter Dugan Arnett writes,

Sexual assault cases can be difficult to build because of factors such as a lack of physical evidence or inconsistent statements by witnesses. But by the time his department had concluded its investigation, Sheriff Darren White felt confident the office had put together a case that would “absolutely” result in prosecutions.

“Within four hours, we had obtained a search warrant for the house and executed that,” White told The Star. “We had all of the suspects in custody and had audio/video confessions.

“I would defy the Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department to do what we did and get it wrapped up as nicely as we did in that amount of time.”

But no prosecutions ever came. The charges were dropped by the prosecuting attorney who didn't believe the evidence was strong enough. He dismissed any idea that political influence had anything to do with his decision.

In the meantime, the town had already begun to turn on the Coleman family. Threatening phone calls and online threats were directed at the family. Melinda Coleman had moved to the town with her four children after her husband, a physician, had died in a car accident. She was easily targeted by the community for being an outsider.

The parent of one of the teens at the Barnett house that night was the only one to comment briefly to The Star: “Our boys deserve an apology, and they haven’t gotten it yet.”

In a later interview, Rice [the prosecuting attorney] called it a case of “incorrigible teenagers” drinking alcohol and having sex. “They were doing what they wanted to do, and there weren’t any consequences. And it’s reprehensible. But is it criminal? No.”

Robert Sundell, who represented Barnett, echoed that sentiment: “Just because we don’t like the way teenagers act doesn’t necessarily make it a crime.”

After the charges were dropped, things just got worse for Melinda and Daisy Coleman. Daisy has struggled with depression and attempted suicide. Melinda had to move away from Maryville and back to the town she had lived in with her now-deceased husband. In April, the house in Maryville she still owned burned down under mysterious circumstances.

And Matthew Barnett, the young man accused by Coleman of raping her? He's attending the University of Central Missouri and apparently having a great time:

In a recent retweet, he expressed his views on women — and their desire for his sexual attentions — this way:
    “If her name begins with A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z, she wants the D."
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

i am just left speechless ....

Haven't we seen this from them before? Or did I read it elsewhere about a month ago?

Or maybe there is just alot of this about?

Serena Williams' idiotic Steubenville comments
    14 year old pregnant rape victim slut shamed

Etc etc etc
    Brookie, MmeVertigina and BITTER like this.
    Free Charmed.

Was just going to post something like that, Novice. UGH.
    Novice likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Unfuckingbelievable!! Hopefully that shithead will pick on the wrong girl next time, and end up neutered.
    McJag likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Disgusting. And they want apologies. Diaf assholes.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

These stories always hurt my heart.

Are those boys' mothers proud? Would they behave the same if it was their daughter, a sibling of the jocks? Say, "oh well, she should have known better". Why do they encourage this behaviour??? Oh I'm rambling but I'm so angry.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

In a later interview, Rice [the prosecuting attorney] called it a case of “incorrigible teenagers” drinking alcohol and having sex. “They were doing what they wanted to do, and there weren’t any consequences. And it’s reprehensible. But is it criminal? No."

The two girls were 14 and 13 years old. Even if they were willing participants who cast their underwear to the wind (which I don't believe they were, Prosecutor Rice, you fucking fucktard) they were still underage! Statutory Rape is still a crime. Unless you are a High School Trophy donor, it seems.

/blood boiling
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I just can't imagine wanting my son to get away with this shit. I would be so angry and sick about something like that and I would want them to be punished.
    rockchick and ConstanceSpry like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

These stories always sicken me. It's the "good ole boys" mentality which seems to permeate many in our government. Hopefully Karma will get her revenge on the monsters involved.

And Matthew Barnett, the young man accused by Coleman of raping her? He's attending the University of Central Missouri and apparently having a great time:

In a recent retweet, he expressed his views on women — and their desire for his sexual attentions — this way:
    “If her name begins with A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z, she wants the D."

Everyone remember that name. At least if he can't be legally prosecuted he can be tried in the court of public opinion. He'll always come up in a Google search.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

This "boys will be boys" attitude is just unbelievable. I was just reading this article yesterday, after seeing the girl's mom on Katie Couric's show. This girl got drunk at a party, passed out, and woke up to find herself naked and covered with sharpie drawings all over her body. Some boys had sexually assaulted her, and then distributed pictures of their doodled handiwork. She later hung herself.

Sexting, Shame and Suicide | Culture News | Rolling Stone
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

May they go to prison to get a dose of what happened to them. Horrible.
    And the victim and her family have to move - in this day and age. I cannot believe this shit.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

It's sickening, absolutely sickening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information