Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gas_chick
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: Martin MacNeill murder trial starting

Default Martin MacNeill murder trial starting

This is the latest crazy murder trial that Nancy Grace and HLN will be flogging. It's starting right now. What do you guys think about it? It doesn't look good for MacNeill, in my opinion:

Prosecutors can proceed in murder case against Martin MacNeill, judge rules | Deseret News

ROVO A judge on Monday declined to disqualify the Utah County Attorney's Office from prosecuting the case of a Pleasant Grove doctor charged with killing his wife.
    The judge ruled that any issues had either been resolved or had not prejudiced the case.

"The motion to disqualify the (Utah) County Attorney's Office is denied," 4th Distrist Judge Samuel McVey ruled in the case of Martin MacNeill Monday. "We can proceed on this case."
    MacNeill, 57, is charged with murder, a first-degree felony, and obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony, in the April 11, 2007, death of his wife, Michele MacNeill, 50. His defense attorneys had filed a motion asking to disqualify the Utah County Attorney's Office from the case, alleging that prosecutors failed to provide requested information in a timely manner that may have helped their client.
    The defense also alleged that investigators tried to interview MacNeill despite knowing that he had an attorney in a fraud case, disclosed information about the case to the media, and didn't comply with requests for evidence and information, including emails.

"The remedy is to not disqualify the state, but make them produce the evidence, and that is what has been done," the judge said. He also said investigators were allowed to speak to the media in an effort to further their case and that their attempt to interview MacNeill didn't cause any problems since MacNeill didn't actually speak with them.
    MacNeill's trial will begin as scheduled in October.
    Prosecutors allege that MacNeill overmedicated his wife, administered a dangerous combination of drugs and drowned her in the bathtub of their home. MacNeill had worked as a doctor and had a law degree, both of which police believe he used "to commit the murder and frustrate the investigation in an attempt to cover it up," court documents state.
    Soon after his wife's death, MacNeill's longtime mistress, Gypsy Willis, moved into the MacNeill house as the children's new nanny. Prosecutors contend MacNeill killed his wife to be with Willis.
    MacNeill's defense attorneys, however, have long countered that Michele MacNeill's death was an accident.

Monday's hearing also addressed whether the judge will allow testimony from Willis' former roommates. Defense attorney Randall Spencer argued their comments about Willis' prior "bad acts" including an interest in a TV show about undetectable drugs are irrelevant because they predate Willis' relationship with MacNeill and would lead to prejudice against MacNeill. He claimed the state was "seeking to muddy the water in a circumstantial case even more to try and get the jury toassociate bad acts of Gypsy Willis with Martin MacNeill."
    But prosecutor Sam Pead countered that the testimony was important in establishing motive.
    "Gypsy Willis is the mistress, she is the motive," Pead said, adding Willis wanted to take Michele MacNeill's place. "These people were in bed together both figuratively and literally and we can infer that she had communications with him about this."
    The judge said he wouldn't prohibit testimony from Willis' roommates at trial altogether, but that he would wait until after Willis testifies before determining what specific testimony to allow.

He's guilty as hell. Love his girlfriend's name is Gypsy. Just listen to the 911 call. That's all I would need to convict that ass.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I watched some of the opening arguments for both sides. The prosecution explained things methodically and clearly. Within less than two minutes, the defense attorney lost me. She didn't grab me and if I were in the courtroom I would have been counting ceiling dots. I'm interested in this trial. I'm wondering why they keep showing photos of the wife
    in the 1980's. It's like a young woman was murdered instead of a middle aged woman and she was really pretty at 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I watched some of the opening arguments for both sides. The prosecution explained things methodically and clearly. Within less than two minutes, the defense attorney lost me. She didn't grab me and if I were in the courtroom I would have been counting ceiling dots. I'm interested in this trial. I'm wondering why they keep showing photos of the wife
    in the 1980's. It's like a young woman was murdered instead of a middle aged woman and she was really pretty at 50.
    I was wondering about that, too. She was absolutely stunning around the time they got married, but I don't like that we don't see a later picture of her. Weird.

The stuff that is coming out about this guy is just astounding. How he got his MD. How he got his law degree.

Update: GUILTY

Utah doctor Martin MacNeill found guilty of wife's murder - CNN.com

Utah doctor Martin MacNeill found guilty of wife's murder

By Lateef Mungin, CNN
    updated 7:24 AM EST, Sat November 9, 2013

(CNN) -- Utah doctor Martin MacNeill was found guilty of his wife's murder in a verdict read early Saturday morning.
    MacNeill showed no emotion as he learned his fate, but a yell came from the section where his relatives sat.
    He will be sentenced later on the charges of first-degree murder and obstruction of justice.
    MacNeill had said his wife's death was an accident.
    In the end, jurors believed prosecutors' allegations that MacNeill drugged and then drowned his wife, Michele MacNeill, in the bathtub of their home on April 11, 2007, to be with his mistress.

McJag likes this.

Aw shit. I missed the verdict. I love that moment when deliberations are over. He sure is evil looking. So this took a few weeks and the Jodi Arias trial took 4 months with so much DNA and blood evidence? I just don't know.

fgg

Convicted Doctor Martin MacNeill Sentenced to 15 Years for Sexual Abuse

A Utah doctor convicted of killing his wife was sentenced Monday to one to 15 years in prison in a separate sexual abuse case.

Martin MacNeill, 58, was convicted in July of sexually abusing his adult daughter in 2007.

Fourth District Court Judge Samuel McVey sentenced MacNeill after hearing from the doctor's daughter, Alexis Somers.

Somers read a letter in court calling her father a "monster."

"He destroyed my world and created a living nightmare in its place," the Deseret News reported.

The Associated Press doesn't normally identify alleged victims of sexual crimes, but the adult daughter asked to be identified in this case.

MacNeill on Monday was also ordered to pay $1,125 fine.

He's not eligible for probation because has not taken responsibility or shown remorse, the judge said.

Prosecutors said the sexual abuse occurred one month after MacNeill's wife was found dead.

MacNeill was convicted in November 2013 of drugging his wife and leaving her to die in a bathtub.

He is scheduled to be sentenced in the murder case on Friday.

Convicted Doctor Martin MacNeill Sentenced to 15 Years for Sexual Abuse - Crime & Courts, Murder, Sexual Abuse, Martin MacNeill : People.com
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Thread Information