Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 4 Post By A*O
  • 1 Post By BoogsBun

Thread: Dashcam video captures fatal traffic stop confrontation

Default Dashcam video captures fatal traffic stop confrontation

I can't figure out what prompted the guy who was pulled over to act this way. He was fully armed and his first reaction was to immediately get out of the car to confront the cop. Is that really a possible PTSD scenario?Oregon Police Release Horrifying Dashcam Video of Fatal Gun Battle

Yesterday, Oregon State Police released video footage of a roadside shootout between a state trooper and a motorist. The August 29 shooting left the motorist, who was traveling with his three young children, dead, and the trooper wounded.
    The video starts with Trooper Matt Zistel pulling over John Van Allen, a 34-year-old former Army Reservist. Allen exits the car and assumes what The Oregonian describes as a military pose. Ignoring Zistel’s warnings, Allen approaches the squad car, pulls out a pistol, and begins firing at Zistel, hitting the trooper in his side.
    Zistel returns fire, wounding Allen in the chest. Allen continues firing, then climbs in his car and speeds off. Zistel radios in the incident: “Shots fired” and moments later, “I’ve been hit in the side. I’m okay.”
    Officers found Allen’s car half a mile down the road; Allen was inside, dead. Zistel was treated at a local hospital and released. While he’s been on administrative leave since the shooting, an investigation by the Sherman County District Attorney concluded that Zistel’s use of force was justified.
    Allen was reportedly returning to his home in South Carolina at the time of the shooting.

Lucky none of the kids or other motorists got hit.
    ribbit likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

damn cop wasn't even threatening the guy. thank God kids were okay, but I doubt if witnessing him being shot and dying did them any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    damn cop wasn't even threatening the guy. thank God kids were okay, but I doubt if witnessing him being shot and dying did them any favors.
    Those poor kids watched him get in a gun battle with a cop, get in the car, drive half a mile and then die. I can't imagine what that experience has done to them.

A*O

I know US cops get a lot of flak for over reacting (eg the Reno 911 scenes outside the Capitol building yesterday) but when everyone they encounter is potentially armed and dangerous, and not just the crazies, I really admire their courage.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

I wonder if it was a "suicide by cop" type thing. You don't go emptying your gun at a cop, and think they won't shoot back. Plus, when he runs back to the car, it doesn't even look like he's been hit, but he's dead a half mile down the road.
    ribbit likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    I wonder if it was a "suicide by cop" type thing. You don't go emptying your gun at a cop, and think they won't shoot back. Plus, when he runs back to the car, it doesn't even look like he's been hit, but he's dead a half mile down the road.
    Notice how he's standing in the right traffic lane, too, after he stops. Any car coming by could have hit him (and his car with the kids in it.) This guy wanted to die, one way or another. Or he was very, very high on meth or crack.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Followup - I was just struck by the statement by the friend who knew him as a happy-go-lucky guy. I guess I just think it highlights that we have a lot of people with undetected/untreated mental health issues and you can see the devastation it creates. This guy, the woman who tried to drive her car through a barrier at the White House, and the DC Navy Yard shooter.

Friend says man who shot at trooper was a pastor | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

NEAR THE DALLES, Ore. – Investigators have identified the man who opened fire on a state trooper during a traffic stop east of The Dalles on Thursday, although they have not said what might have motivated him to start shooting.

John Van Allen II, 34, was shot and killed by the trooper who pulled him over, according to state police spokesman Lt. Gregg Hastings.

Trooper Matthew Zistel, 26, was patrolling a construction zone on I-84 on Thursday afternoon when he pulled Allen over for speeding. Allen had his three children in the car – a 10-year-old girl and two boys, ages 13 and 15.

During the traffic stop, Allen shot at Zistel with a handgun, hitting the trooper in the side, according to Hastings. Zistel managed to return fire and hit Allen in the chest.

Allen drove away after being hit, but other troopers found him down the highway slumped over dead in his car.

Zistel was taken to the hospital and released later the same day.

Allen’s friend Tiffany Haines said he was a single father who moved to Oregon about a year ago.

“He was always a happy, hopeful, lovable person. He never got into trouble,” Haines said. “He never got into fights in
    school. He was just very respectful.”

The picture Haines paints is in stark contrast to the image of a man who fired at a state trooper. She said Allen was ordained when he was 22 and served as a pastor when he previously lived in Pittsburgh.

He also served in the military, although Haines said he hadn’t been active for at least two years.

She said Allen had his first child at age 15 and was now a grandfather.

“John was a God-fearing man. This is so out of character,” Haines said. “I think there’s more to this story. It’s so horrible that his children had to witness.”

Investigators are still reviewing the case and have not said why Allen might have started shooting.

The Sherman County district attorney will review the case and make the final determination if Zistel was justified in shooting Allen.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Did he take any anti-malarials? JFC.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Thread Information