Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shinola

Thread: US officer Randall Kerrick 'justified' in shooting Jonathan Ferrell

Default US officer Randall Kerrick 'justified' in shooting Jonathan Ferrell

The defence lawyer for a North Carolina police officer charged in the shooting death of an unarmed car accident victim has said his actions were justified.

Officer Randall Kerrick, 27, shot Jonathan Ferrell 10 times after responding to a report of a break-in early on Saturday morning.
    Ferrell, 24, had crashed his car and sought help at a nearby house.
    His family suggested his race - he was black - contributed to the white officer's response.
    Mr Kerrick, 27, did not appear in court on Tuesday for the first hearing on a charge of voluntary manslaughter.
    After Tuesday's hearing, defence attorney Michael Greene said the officer's actions "were justified on the night in question", but declined to take questions.

Ferrell's car went off the road in a suburban neighbourhood about 15 miles (24km) from downtown Charlotte, North Carolina, at around 02:30 local time (06:30 GMT) on 14 September.

The former Florida A&M University football player walked to the closest house he could see and started "banging on the door viciously", police Chief Rodney Monroe said, according to the Associated Press.

Jonathan Ferrell was shot 10 times on the morning of 14 September

The female occupant of the home answered the door, believing it to be her husband. When she saw Ferrell, she called the police.
    On Tuesday, police released what they said was a recording of the householder's emergency call in which she pleads for officers to hurry because she believes someone is breaking in.
    During the call, the unidentified woman repeats: "Oh, my god! Oh, my god!" She says a man has knocked on her door and is "in my front yard yelling".
    The officers found Ferrell on a dead-end road. Police said he ran at them, and they first attempted to stop him with a stun gun.
    Ferrell is said to have continued running at Mr Kerrick, who then shot at him 12 times, striking him 10 times, police said.
    He died at the scene.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, a civil rights organisation, and the Ferrell family's lawyer, Chris Chestnut, have questioned whether race played a role in the shooting.

"The officer is white, Mr Ferrell is black... To shoot first and ask questions later is not an appropriate action for a police officer," Mr Chestnut said on

BBC News - US officer Randall Kerrick 'justified' in shooting Jonathan Ferrell

Damn, 12 times? Some cops just shouldn't be carrying guns. Some people just shouldn't be cops.

the victim looks like an upstanding citizen. Cop, well he looks a bit inbred.

Gawd, seriously????
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

How do you knock on a door "viciously"? This story is weird. All of the dead man's actions are being characterized as threats, which is hard to believe unless he was out of his mind or had a death wish. (If I were a black man, I am pretty sure I would consider myself to be in danger much of the time.)
    olivia likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Elite Member

The home owner woman bears a small portion of the blame here. If she hadn't enjoyed her little panicky moment to the 911 operator, overstating the threat level, the poor fellow might be alive.

This ex-cop doesn't stand a chance. 12 rounds, 10 hitting the victim, there is no way around those ugly facts.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Thread Information