Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Alleged abductor of California teen killed in Idaho wilderness; captive rescued

Default Alleged abductor of California teen killed in Idaho wilderness; captive rescued

I was sort of monitoring this story off and on throughout the week. I was worried that this story would end with the abducted girl being killed. If you haven't been reading about it, a 40-year-old guy who was supposedly a "family friend" killed the mom and the little brother and then abducted the 16 year-old girl he was fixated on, triggering a massive manhunt. They found them in Idaho and killed the guy, while the girl was found alive. I still don't understand how the family let this guy insinuate himself into their lives.

Alleged abductor of California teen killed in Idaho wild; captive rescued - CNN.com

CNN) -- James DiMaggio -- the California murder suspect who allegedly kidnapped 16-year-old Hannah Anderson -- was fatally shot Saturday by an FBI agent in the Idaho wilderness, authorities said.
    Authorities first spotted the pair's campsite from the air, then sent in law enforcement personnel on the ground, said San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore. An FBI tactical agent shot and killed DiMaggio, 40, during a confrontation about 5:15 p.m. (7:15 p.m. ET) near Morehead Lake, according to the sheriff.
    The teenage girl was found alive near him.
    "Hannah is safe, and that was our first priority from the very beginning," Valley County, Idaho, Sheriff Patti Bolen said.
    Hannah Anderson had last been seen at her cheerleading practice August 3; her mother and brother died in a fire at DiMaggio's home in San Diego County the next day.
    About 250 law enforcement personnel -- among them about 150 FBI agents, in addition to state, county and other federal agents -- had converged on the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness, about 15 miles outside Cascade, Idaho, and some 1,000 miles from where she went missing, looking for the teenage girl and DiMaggio, who'd been described as a friend of Hannah's family.
    In addition to guarding all ways out, they tried to cover about 300 square miles of rough terrain frequented by nature lovers near where DiMaggio's car was found -- hidden by brush and with its license plates removed -- on Friday.
    This came after a tip from earlier this week leading them to focus on the area of Idaho about 1,000 miles north of Southern California where the girl and her alleged abductor were from.
    Shortly before DiMaggio's death, Ada County, Idaho, sheriff's office spokeswoman Andrea Dearden had vowed that authorities would "use every single resource possible."
    "Whatever they feel is most effective and most useful, that's what they are going to use," the spokeswoman said.
    Hannah Anderson did not appear to have suffered any significant physical injuries, but nonetheless was helicoptered out from the rescue scene to a hospital, Dearden said.
    Her father Brett will head to Idaho, where he will likely reunite with his daughter Sunday morning, according to Gore, the San Diego County sheriff.
    Brett Anderson said that he was going through a range of emotions Saturday, upon hearing of his daughter's rescue days after his wife and son's death.
    "It's now healing time," Anderson said via text.
    As to Hannah's alleged kidnapper, the sheriff had few details to offer late Saturday afternoon about how he was killed, beyond saying there had been a "confrontation." At a news conference a short time later in Idaho, authorities declined to say whether there had been a shootout.
    "Obviously we would have liked for Mr. DiMaggio to surrender and face justice in the court of law," Gore said earlier. "But that's not going to be the case."
    Father of missing teen pleads for daughter's release
    Witness: DiMaggio had crush
    Sheriff's officials in San Diego County had confirmed that 8-year-old Ethan Anderson perished in the house fire. The body of Ethan's mother, Christina Anderson, had been identified earlier as a second victim.
    A friend of Hannah Anderson on Saturday provided a clearer picture of the relationship between DiMaggio and the teen.
    Marissa Chavez told CNN that she was in a car with Hannah and DiMaggio a few months ago when the 40-year-old told Hannah he had a crush on her.
    He followed it up by saying if he was her age, he would date Hannah, Chavez said.
    Hannah was unnerved by the comments, but did not tell her mother because she did not want to ruin the close relationship that her parents had with DiMaggio, Chavez said.

After that, however, Hannah did not want to be alone with DiMaggio, Chavez said.
    In an earlier episode, Chavez recalled a trip that DiMaggio and Hannah took to Hollywood. The trip was supposed to be for one week, but Hannah told Chavez that they came back after two days because DiMaggio was upset that she wasn't paying enough attention to him.
    "I don't think she would have gone willingly with him at all," she said.
    Why more Amber alerts will be waking you up
    Focusing the search
    The suspect's car was found after a man on horseback reported he had a brief conversation with two campers in the Idaho wilderness on Wednesday. The rider's realization later that he may have been talking to DiMaggio and his alleged teenage captive has been the biggest break in the search yet.
    The horseback rider was not aware of the manhunt at the time, but he called the Amber Alert tip line after he saw a news account that night and realized the pair matched the description of DiMaggio and Hannah Anderson, according to Dearden.
    The rider's impression was that the pair "seemed odd," though he wasn't alarmed, she said.
    "They did speak and exchange pleasantries. I don't think there was a lot of information exchanged," she said. "He left the conversation believing they were camping in the area."
    The rider said the man and girl were on foot, hiking with camping gear, Dearden said.
    DiMaggio's car -- a blue Nissan Versa -- was found unoccupied Friday, spurring authorities to intensify their search in that area even further.
    Speaking late Saturday afternoon, Gore thanked the media for getting the word out on the case and the extensive law enforcement collaboration that culminated in DiMaggio's death and his alleged captive's recovery.
    "It truly was a joint effort," he said. "And I'm pleased to stand here today and say that Hannah was successfully rescued and appears to be in pretty good shape."

That sorry SOB. I'm glad he is dead. Why did he have to kill that little boy and her mother?? I hope he rots in hell.
    MmeVertigina and Clubber Lang like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yeah, that poor kid has to go home to two funerals after narrowly escaping her own. Creepy fucking pervert.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

It was bizarre because an Amber alert came over my cell phone last week with a loud alarm. I think most Calif cell phone users received it. This worthless piece of shit will rot in hell for what he has done to this family. That poor g has lost her mother and brother. Heartbreaking...
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I walked by a newspaper stand this morning and saw Amber Alert - I thought the US was looking for a terrorist. Just turned on CNN. What a story this is.

this all started out about 20 miles from our house. They did an Amber Alert via text message. it was so loud, scared the absolute shit out of me. I had my phone on vibrate and it still went off.
    i'm so glad they got her, but boy oh boy, does she have a LOT of healing to do. Lost her mom and little brother. so sad.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

"A friend of Hannah Anderson on Saturday provided a clearer picture of the relationship between DiMaggio and the teen.
    Marissa Chavez told CNN that she was in a car with Hannah and DiMaggio a few months ago when the 40-year-old told Hannah he had a crush on her.
    He followed it up by saying if he was her age, he would date Hannah, Chavez said.
    Hannah was unnerved by the comments, but did not tell her mother because she did not want to ruin the close relationship that her parents had with DiMaggio, Chavez said.

After that, however, Hannah did not want to be alone with DiMaggio, Chavez said.
    In an earlier episode, Chavez recalled a trip that DiMaggio and Hannah took to Hollywood. The trip was supposed to be for one week, but Hannah told Chavez that they came back after two days because DiMaggio was upset that she wasn't paying enough attention to him."

Damn! How many warning signs do people need? The real shame here is that Hannah felt like the parents' friendship with DiMaggio was more important than her safety. I wonder what would have happened if she had told her parents about all the inappropriate behavior and whether they would have believed her. How does one tell a daughter that this kind of behavior isn't a secret, it's an alarm bell?

Makes me so angry.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

He needed killing. Good riddance.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^ Yep, that is truly a happy ending.

Just a strange story all around though. I was under the impression this guy was the mother's boyfriend, not a family friend of the mother and her husband. I know it's hindsight and all, but what a shame this girl didn't let her parents know this guy was creeping her out. And I can't figure out why she went alone on a trip with him, or why her parents thought that was ok. Hope she gets the help she needs, because I'm sure she will suffer a major case of survivor guilt, even though none of this is her fault.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    It was bizarre because an Amber alert came over my cell phone last week with a loud alarm. I think most Calif cell phone users received it. This worthless piece of shit will rot in hell for what he has done to this family. That poor g has lost her mother and brother. Heartbreaking...
    Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    this all started out about 20 miles from our house. They did an Amber Alert via text message. it was so loud, scared the absolute shit out of me. I had my phone on vibrate and it still went off.
    i'm so glad they got her, but boy oh boy, does she have a LOT of healing to do. Lost her mom and little brother. so sad.
    Yes, the Amber alert was scary and crazy loud. The one on my SO's phone went off around 10 or 11. Mine was about two hours later. Then again the next day while I was driving. It paused my radio and went over my bluetooth. Very bizarre, but I think it's a good thing.

I'm really not clear on how long this guy has been involved with the family. I heard several years, but on the local news they quoted the father as saying he's been part of the family since before Hannah was born. Which makes his crush on her even more creepy.

Someone commented on Facebook that he was the mother's crazy boyfriend.
    Free Charmed.

^^That's what I thought at first, but everyone is saying he wasn't. The dad refers to him as a good friend. Who knows.

people here are saying they think the DiMaggio guy had a crush on Hannah, and when the mom found out about it, he killed her and Ethan and took Hannah
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    people here are saying they think the DiMaggio guy had a crush on Hannah, and when the mom found out about it, he killed her and Ethan and took Hannah
    The story I read said that the mother found out, ended the friendship and banned DiMaggio from the house and from seeing Hannah. I wonder if there is any truth to that story. That sounds true because why else would he flip out and kill the mom (and the son, who he probably killed because he was an eyewitness).

Anyways, glad they got Hannah home safe and that they the bastard is gone. Horrible for her though that she lost her mother and brother due to this scumbag.

Bastard killed their dog too.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information