Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By faithanne

Thread: UK Man Arrested After Threatening Feminist Campaigner with Rape on Twitter

Default UK Man Arrested After Threatening Feminist Campaigner with Rape on Twitter

UK Man Arrested After Threatening Feminist Campaigner with Rape on Twitter

After successfully leading a campaign for a woman's image to be used on a new banknote (Jane Austen will replace Charles Darwin on the 10 Bank of England note in 2017), UK feminist activist and co-founder of thewomensroom.org.uk and the Week Woman blog Caroline Criado-Perez has received a deluge of rape and death threats from Twitter users, mostly male, over the last five days.

Despite entreaties for Twitter to intervene, the threats, as well as the publishing of her home address and personal information, continued unbridled. Responses by and on behalf of Criado-Perez have included a popular hashtag campaign (#ShoutBack / #SHOUTINGBACK) aimed at calling out abusers, a nearly 50,ooo signature strong petition for Twitter to provide a one-click "report abuse" feature, and support from MPs and celebrities, including a public letter to Twitter from shadow home secretary, Yvette Cooper, yesterday.

Yet nothing much transpired until today, when a 21-year-old Manchester man was arrested "on suspicion of harassment offences," after Criado-Perez reported "malicious communications" of "about 50 abusive tweets an hour for about 12 hours" to local police.

A boycott of Twitter is planned for 4 August to draw attention to the issue.

Edit: rybpierce reports that Anita Sarkeesian of the video web series Feminist Frequency is experiencing a similar onslaught, with Twitter refusing to take action.

Edit: A little backstory on the banknote campaign: It's Boudicca v Bank of England in the battle of the banknotes (Guardian, 5 July 2013)

Edit: "The Bank [of England] regularly changes the design of its banknotes to address issues such as counterfeiting and quality." The Queen appears on the front, while a national "character," as the bank terms it, is featured on the back. When the Charles Darwin series naturally comes to its end, there existed the possibility that, excepting the Queen, no women would be represented on the banknote, hence the push for Austen and other women.

In a Guardian article by Belinda Webb (shared by Hermione Stranger), here are six feminist alternatives to Jane Austen. Boudicca was/is one popular choice. Here she is featured on a now rare Victorian banknote issued by the private Bolton Bank.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Jesus.

Boudicca was that ancient queen (and no, I'm not talking about Rex Reed) who defeated the Romans in a bunch battle when they invaded England?

I'm glad he was arrested. Asshole.

What's he all riled about, having a woman's picture on the currency? Isn't the queen on a lot of currency anyway?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^ The Queen is on all currency. The other pictures are on the other side of the notes.

Elite Member

I always loved getting British money for my birthday when I was a kid. I think America's currency is so ugly, compared with other countries.

We have very pretty currency. All different colours with their own nicknames eg Lobster for a 20, pineapple for a 50, avocado for a 100 etc
    Honey likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

It's all different colours for each denomination. - to Boogs!

Youre just trying to elbow that Aussie cash in to the convo there Faithanne....
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Boudicca was that ancient queen (and no, I'm not talking about Rex Reed) who defeated the Romans in a bunch battle when they invaded England?
    Yes, her tribe was called the iceni.
    Here you go:- BBC - History - Boudicca

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    What's he all riled about, having a woman's picture on the currency? Isn't the queen on a lot of currency anyway?
    She's on all of it, and stamps, some just a little profile, other stamps the big picture.
    The harasser has to have mental issues, however WTF do twitter think they're playing at? Do they just not gaf?
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information