Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 7 Post By Kittylady
  • 1 Post By twitchy2.0

Thread: 45-Year-Old Hit and Run of Little Girl Solved Via Facebook

Default 45-Year-Old Hit and Run of Little Girl Solved Via Facebook

On Halloween of 1968, 4-year-old Carolee Sadie Ashby of upstate New York was struck and killed by a driver at an intersection as she walked home from trick-or-treating with her sister and cousin. For 45 years, police have been unable to identify the driver responsible for the little girl's death and have only now, in 2013, succeeded in finding the culprit behind the hit-and-run, thanks to the help of Facebook.

In recent history, social media has been hit or miss when it comes to solving crimes. In one incident, commenters were able to track down the identity of a subway mugger within a day of his image being released (something that the police weren't able to do in a month), but in more recent history, internet speculation and online amateur detective sparked a full-on witch hunt for the Boston Bomber suspect that led to the extreme harassment of one innocent and missing young man's already grieving family.

In the case of Carolee Sadie Ashby, however, a Facebook user was able to correctly identify 62-year-old Douglas Parkhurst as the driver who didn't stop after striking Ashby with his car. Last year, when retired cop Lt. Russ Johnson posted the details of the case on the social network site, a woman recognized the circumstances and contacted police with new information about how, in 1968, she was approached by Parkhurst's family about coming forward as a false alibi for the night of October 31st. The woman declined and was never informed of what it was that they wanted her to cover up.

Parkhurst was originally questioned at the time of the crime, but there wasn't enough evidence to hold him. Since the woman has come forward, the case has been reopened, Parkhurst has been requestioned and he has admitted to the crime, saying that he was intoxicated the night that he hit Carolee. The statute of limitations has expired on the case and he will not be charged.

http://jezebel.com/45-year-old-hit-a...aceb-482505984
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Well, at least the family has some closure. I hope guilt eats that fucker's liver out.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hm, so a fatal hit-and-run is not considered a homicide or similar, worthy of no statute of limitations. That sucks. I wonder if the family can sue him for damages as the relatives of OJ's family sued OJ? I also wonder if he gave up drinking and driving after that night, or what...
    Novice likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Generally only murder cases have no statute of limitations. Sucks for the family, and hopefully this will bring some sort of closure. Sad story.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

You get in your car when pissed out of your head and run someone over and kill them? That's murder to me.
    Brookie, Sylkyn, Novice and 4 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

maybe the vehicular homicide law didn`t exist then so can`t be applied to this case (i think you can only apply laws that existed at the time the crime took place)?

side note: did those personals exist just to show you had friends or something? i don`t get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JerriBlank View Post
    side note: did those personals exist just to show you had friends or something? i don`t get it.
    The Facebook of its era.
    JerriBlank likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

maybe the vehicular homicide law didn`t exist then so can`t be applied to this case (i think you can only apply laws that existed at the time the crime took place)?
    Driving while drunk = wilfully committing to a course of action that can result in the death of someone by disregarding the safety of yourself and others. I say that anyone who kills while drunk or drugged while in charge of a vehicle shouldn't see daylight again. Get a taxi, get a ride or stay at home and get pissed there if you really have to get blitzed.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

LOL!

Mr and Mrs Levi Brown Sr. of Crosby Hill visited with Mr. and Mrs. David P. Barton, Suttons Corner, Sunday, October 27th. They e n j o y e d playing cards.

Love the emphasis on enjoyed.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

That's because playing cards was a euphemism. Everyone knows the Bartons were swingers.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Thread Information