Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mel1973
  • 1 Post By sluce

Thread: Brown Student Misidentified as Boston Bomber Found Dead in River

Default Brown Student Misidentified as Boston Bomber Found Dead in River

Brown Student Misidentified as Boston Bomber Found Dead in River

In one of the more major media failings in a long line of media failings last week, Brown University student Sunil Tripathi, who'd been missing since March 16, was widely identified as a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings. Though the origins of the rumor are difficult to pin down, it appears as if the speculation about Tripathi's involvement in the attack began on Reddit before making the leap to Twitter, various news outlets (including this one), and even, reportedly, police scanners. In the chaos that ensued, Tripathi's family members were inundated with dozens of phone calls from reporters—his sister got nearly 60—and were forced to take down a Facebook page dedicated to finding Tripathi after it became littered with "hateful, angry posts." This morning, a body pulled from the Providence River was officially identified as Sunil Tripathi's, finally putting to rest the rumor mill that had made his family's life hell last week.

On Monday, Reddit General Manager Erik Martin issued an official apology for Reddit's role in the Tripathi "witch hunt," writing, "[S]ome of the activity on reddit fueled online witch hunts and dangerous speculation which spiraled into very negative consequences for innocent parties. The reddit staff and the millions of people on reddit around the world deeply regret that this happened."

It was an important apology to make, but it also gave no indication as to how future witch hunts would be prevented.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

well, that sucks. at least he's been found, I guess, and the family has some closure and can stop searching. So sad.
    levitt likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I wonder how long he'd been dead? I hope it was before the accusations.

^ That's what I thought too. I hope so, I mean I'm sure if this was suicide he had made his mind up long before he went missing, but it still wouldn't help the grief of the family.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

What makes his death scary for us is that if it is, in any way, related to the "witch hunt" then it could happen to any of us.
    Put social media together with any one of us in the wrong place and the wrong time then we're......deadmeat.

Apologies don't make up for this young man's death.

Even if it is somehow related to him being misidentified as a "terrorist", the media will continue to be just as careless in each and every event in the future. That's the shittiest reality in this - next to a kid being dead.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

It's not just the media. A police speaker makes one mistake (or whatever happened here) and it spreads like a wildfire via Facebook and Twitter. Instead of bashing the media, in this particular case, I blame those individuals who started this witch hunt. Meaning, the idiots who spread this shit based on intel they got from a source like Reddit. And I blame sketchy sources like this.

That's the downside of everyone being able to play journalist these days. Publishing has serious consequences, it's about time blogs and entertainment websites realized that, too.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

His poor family has been through so much...
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Personally, I didn't hear/learn of this guy's possible involvement on the interwebz, it was national freaking news where I heard it.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

I feel so sorry for these parents. But, I agree with the statement about,...at least they have some closure now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Personally, I didn't hear/learn of this guy's possible involvement on the interwebz, it was national freaking news where I heard it.
    Okay then I blame stupid media outlets in general who acted irresponsibly. I online read about it online, but then again I only watched CNN and German news during the coverage of the events.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

This young man graduated a few years before my daughter. His family is wonderful and Sunny will be missed. They suspected he was gone as his note indicated he had intended to harm himself, but still they held out hope. Now they do have closure and the end to a long 6 weeks for them. Depression is a bitch.
    levitt likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Thread Information