Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: UK cops make first arrests for 'hate crime' against emo subculture

Silver Member

Default UK cops make first arrests for 'hate crime' against emo subculture

UK cops make first arrests for 'hate crime' against emo subculture

By Alastair Jamieson, Staff writer, NBC News
    Two people were arrested in Britain Thursday over an assault on an "emo" teenager -- the first such move after police began recording attacks on subculture members as “hate crimes.”
    The term, short for “emotive” or “emotional,” usually refers to an introspective style of music -- somewhere between punk and grunge -- and its associated fashion styles.
    Earlier this month, Greater Manchester Police became the first force in the U.K. to treat attacks on groups such as goths, emos and punks in the same way as crimes based on race, religion, disability or sexual orientation.
    Advertise | AdChoices
    The 16-year-old victim was “distinctively dressed as an emo” in an eastern suburb of the northern England city when he was punched in the face Monday evening, the Manchester Evening News newspaper said.The victim “describes himself as an emo,” police said in a statement, adding that officers had arrested a 14-year-old boy and a 44-year-old man over the attack.“The assault has been reported as an alternative subculture hate crime and will be investigated as such,” the statement added.A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said the injured teen was hit "several times."Garry Shewan, assistant chief constable of Greater Manchester Police, said: "It is unfortunate that this incident happened, but the fact we were able to identify this as a hate crime is very positive. Just last Thursday we announced that we will now record alternative subculture as a hate motivation."

"We hope this encourages victims to continue to come forward so we can take positive action against offenders," he added.

In England, a hate crime is defined by prosecutors as “a criminal offense motivated by prejudice based on a person's disability, race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.”
    The decision by police to include subcultures was partly a result of the 2007 killing of Sophie Lancaster, a 20-year-old in the northern England county of Lancashire, who was kicked and stamped to death for being a goth.

i know it's wrong but
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i know it's wrong but
    That made me burst out laughing. And yes, I know it's wrong, too.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

So its not fair game to give their wussy asses something to cry about?
    Waterslide likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

You guys are awful. I'm glad these thugs were arrested, emos shouldn't be punched any more than anyone else should.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Another reason to board the hell bus. This begs that 'cry, emo kid' lolcat. I'll control myself.

Yes, I agree that emo kids don't deserve to get punched. [/straight face]

p.s. waiting for the defense attorney who says, 'but, my client thought the emo kid WANTED to be unhappy, more keenly in touch with the raw anguish of existence, if you will. My client was just trying to help.'
    greysfang, Ravenna and BITTER like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

As somebody who was almost beaten up, and definitely spat on, when I was a gothed out teenager, I find this heartening. It's also funny as fuck.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Damn you all for making me giggle over a hate crime.

I certainly don't think anyone should be beat up or picked on, but if this is considered a hate crime, what isn't? Aren't almost all violent attacks and assaults "hate" crimes?

Back off everyone, this is my home town and my Dad works for Greater Manchester Police! Not doing any arrests, may I add...
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I certainly don't think anyone should be beat up or picked on, but if this is considered a hate crime, what isn't? Aren't almost all violent attacks and assaults "hate" crimes?

I don't think it can legally qualify as a hate crime since emos aren't a protected class.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

When will the hipsters get protection!!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Ugh NEVER. HIPSTERS ARE BAD.
    Kathie_Moffett and Callalily like this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I don't think it can legally qualify as a hate crime since emos aren't a protected class.
    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    When will the hipsters get protection!!
    nevurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    As somebody who was almost beaten up, and definitely spat on, when I was a gothed out teenager, I find this heartening. It's also funny as fuck.
    Don't forget being bottled by chavvy dickheads in a pathetically souped up Vauxhall Corsa while they jeer and yell insults. Yep, been there and done that, although they were stupid enough to come around for a second pass so we got their plates and made a police report (although nothing came of it, even though we were told that it was technically an assault).

As a gothy/rocker/biker looking person with many friends who are the same I say it's about time that it was taken seriously. Crossing the town center at night used to be something that was only usually attempted in a group as a lone person would be an instant target for the pissed up 'trendies' who wanted to end their evening by smashing the face in of someone 'different' to them.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information