Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Nova Scotia Teen Commits Suicide After Rape, Bullying

Default Nova Scotia Teen Commits Suicide After Rape, Bullying

Nova Scotia Teen Commits Suicide After Rape, Bullying

Rehtaeh Parsons, a 17-year-old from Nova Scotia, died this past Sunday in a hospital, after attempting suicide on Thursday. Her mother stated that a rape in 2011 and subsequent bullying lead to her daughter's suicide.

In 2011, Rehtaeh Parsons attended a party where she consumed enough vodka to not remember most of the evening. She recalls throwing up out of a window. Four boys then raped her; one of the boys allegedly yelled, "take a picture, take a picture." According to Rehtaeh's mother, "That picture began to circulate in her school and community three days later."

The picture prompted a torrent of online bullying as well as verbal abuse at her school. When Rehtaeh confessed the incident to her mother a few days later, they called emergency health services as well the police. After a year of investigations, the police told her it was a case of "he said, she said," without enough evidence to press charges. They told the family that though she was underage, the photographs were not a criminal issue.

The family moved from Cole Harbour to Halifax. Leah Parsons reports that her daughter attempted to maintain high spirits, but was depressed:

"Every text, every negative thing she would read to me. It was hard. She tried and she kept trying... She was never left alone. Her friends turned against her, people harassed her, boys she didn't know started texting her and Facebooking asking her to have sex with them since she had had sex with their friends. It just never stopped."

Rehtaeh admitted herself to a hospital in March because of suicidal thoughts. She attempted suicide on Thursday and was taken off life support on Sunday. Parsons has created a memorial page for her daughter, where she wrote:
    "She made my life complete. When Rehtaeh was born, I dedicated everything to her and promised her the world. Others in this world took that away from her."

Nova Scotia Teen Commits Suicide After Rape, Bullying

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

This is so sad.

Poor woman. How do you recover from this?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Silver Member

Awful.

JFC!! How sad.

How tragic. One would think that the pictures would be enough to have brought about criminal charges. Maybe things would have been different if the rapists were jailed.

ETA: I just realized her name is Heather spelled backwards.

What is up with the bullying? I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people will bully someone for being raped. That poor poor girl.
    greysfang, BITTER, stef and 1 others like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    ETA: I just realized her name is Heather spelled backwards.
    i saw. her name is as tragic as her story.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people will bully someone for being raped.
    Seriously. That's a special kind of evil.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    What is up with the bullying? I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people will bully someone for being raped. That poor poor girl.

Because only sluts get raped and therefore deserve everything they get before, during and after and should be shamed unto death. Or at least that's the way that some fucktards think because it gives them a false sense of security that it couldn't ever possibly happen to them. Fucking fools.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

How tragic. RIP. So awful for her mother and family, and such a waste of a young life. Why is the world so fucked up that things like this happen so much

It scares me how much rape culture seems to be growing with even friends of victims and other females all blaming them and giving rape the okay. Even the way people taunted her for 'having sex' - what part of being unconscious and being raped is 'having sex'?? The fact that any person could do this and then want to take photos excitedly like it's something to laugh at and show off about, just a bit of fun with the boys, that is fucking sick. I hope all of the little fuckers who raped her, bullied her, harrassed her all rot in hell. There's a special spot reserved for people (if you can call them that) like them.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

At first I thought the name might be Gaellic and then I read it a bit more carefully. Poor soul, that's a really stupid name.

How could the police not consider spreading these photos a criminal matter? What kind of parents raised those shitbags who raped a passed out girl and then harassed her about it? I wish there were names and lives to ruin as it was in Megan's case where Lori Drew's name came out.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Unfortunately, many teenagers who go thru this aren't able to see that everything will eventually work itself out (you probably won't even have to see most of these people after you get out of school anyway), and they can't "see" far enough into the future to see past this. And bullying is a big fat, hairy deal. Having friends and being "someone" at this age is way more important than it is when you are older, and being humiliated by your peers is more than they can take. I am FB friends with a woman whose teenage son committed suicide after years of bullying and who I joined in having anti-bullying legislation passed in Michigan, and you do not get over the suicide of your child. Her son died about 5 years ago, and she posts about him every day.

She was a beautiful girl.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

This is becoming one case too many aka Stubenville. The rape culture and bullying via social media is getting out of hand. IMO

this is so sad. poor, poor girl.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information