• 1 Post By Clubber Lang
  • 1 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 2 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By Mel1973
  • 1 Post By choozen1ne
  • 2 Post By McJag
  • 1 Post By faithanne

Thread: Australian Radio Host Asks Sex Abuse Victim If It Was Somehow Her Fault

Default Australian Radio Host Asks Sex Abuse Victim If It Was Somehow Her Fault

victim blaming

Australian Radio Host Asks Sex Abuse Victim If It Was Somehow Her Fault

Earlier this week, Pleistocene-era radio broadcaster John Laws, the Rush Limbaugh-esque host of an Australian morning show, asked a caller who said that she'd been subjected to a nightmarish childhood of sexual abuse by five of her male family members (including her father and brother) if maybe all that abuse was really her fault. Listeners seethed, but Laws, who has been heavily criticized for his shitty line of on-air inquiry, is thus far unapologetic about his fit of victim-blaming.

According to Sydney's Daily Telegraph, Laws has so far defended a series of questions he asked a caller who confided that she'd been sexually abused for nearly a decade, from the ages of 6 to 16. He has also "bristled" at suggestions that, at 77, he might be too old to keep up the radio racket, dismissing the controversy raised by his questions as part of the "national sport" of ridiculing John Laws, or professional jealousy from other, less monstrous radio screechers.

Listeners most likely (hopefully) cringed, white-knuckling their steering wheels when Laws started down a line of questioning with caller (now 44) about whether maybe her male family members abused her because she was being "provocative." Ugh, here's the exchange, courtesy of the poor News Au scribes who had to copy it out:

"My God they were having a good time with you," said the broadcasting legend, missing the sensitivity of the subject matter.

"Was it in any way your fault?" he then asked.

"No, I don't think so," the woman, a nurse, said.

"You weren't provocative?" Laws pressed.

"I was a little girl. I don't think so John. No, I was just a little girl."

After nine years of abuse the woman finally found the courage to consult a social worker at age 15 - the year before her father kicked her out of home. As she broke down on air, Laws asked: "Are you unattractive?"

"I don't think so. I think I'm all right," she said.

"You sound all right," Laws encouraged.

There are lots of terrible ways in which people, in their zeal to out-awful each other, manage to blame the victims of sexual assault for crimes perpetrated against them. Twitter and Facebook, for instance, have opened up brand new avenues for complete strangers to screech about how, say, a teenage girl somehow deserved to be raped because she had too much to drink, or because she was somehow in too close a proximity to older men. Laws, however, has managed to remind us all that semi-anonymous victim-blaming isn't just for social media backwaters — it's also perfectly suited to the bombastic, asinine nature of talk radio, a medium dominated by crusty old dudes steeped in a firmly patriarchal culture that holds women squarely accountable for the misdeeds of men. It's bullshit, but it also doesn't sound like John Laws is going to change his worldview until he (and radio hosts like him) go thoroughly extinct.

Australian Radio Host Asks Sex Abuse Victim If It Was Somehow Her Fault
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

That John Laws dude should fall off the face of the earth. It's all good though, at 77 he'll be dead soon anyway
    Butterfly likes this.

Not soon enough.
    Butterfly likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Maybe we can get one of our Aussie girls to hurry him along to his final destination.
    Clubber Lang and faithanne like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

What a fucking asshole.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

faithanne..... do it!
    faithanne likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

This morning, Mr Laws responded on air by noting, “The newspapers have been having a field day ever since we took a call from a lady named Carol who had been repeatedly sexually abused as a girl and through her teens".
    “It has been claimed that I asked a series of alarming questions," he said. "If anyone has [been offended] I wouldn't offend you for anything,” he added.
    “If I created any ambiguity about what Carol had been through, then I am truly sorry.
    “At no point in our conversation did Carol once complain, not once," Mr Laws said. "However for anyone who did get that impression, I'm sorry. That wasn't an impression I wanted to create. You know I was genuinely concerned for Carol's welfare.”
    Later in the show, the broadcaster aired a number of talkback calls and messages supporting him. He also aired a clip of the victim calling him back after the initial call. The woman, “Carol”, admitted Laws’ question “did take me aback, but it's OK that you asked me that question. It was a fair question". She also said she understood why other women “would be very offended by it.”

Mr Laws then told his detractors, "You can all go to hell. It doesn't bother to me".
    Last year, Mr Laws attracted criticism among his peers when he aired a talkback caller who threatened to “kill people” and commit "a Lismore massacre" in the vein of the Port Arthur and Hoddle Street shootings.
    The man was later charged with using a carriage service to make threats of serious harm.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

What an arse

This seems like something one of the nut job "legitimate rape" republicans from the last election would have said .
    Callalily likes this.

Sadly, he's not even the worst of them. I'm just glad that talkback radio is a dying medium here and most of these old fossils will drop off soon, as will their dwindling band of senior citizen listeners.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Mr Laws is not going to hell fast enough to suit me.
    greysfang and Lobelia like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

What a crock of shit.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Mr Laws is not going to hell fast enough to suit me.

Now now, you can't blame him for all those provocative little kindergarteners being incestuously molested. It's their own fault.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Ambiguity? Oh, I think you were crystal clear, Mr. Laws. And I'm sure Carol didn't complain because she probably couldn't believe you were really saying the shit you were saying.

Die you fucking ass.

So basically because the woman was too polite to call him a disgusting piece of shit, anyone else who was offended by his comments can go to hell. Nice apology to any other victims of abuse.
    Honey likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Elite Member

Sorry Ladies and Gents.. even though i cannot stand John Laws, i should of kept my cool and stuck with the subject at hand (that's why i'm editing this post).
    Last edited by *Wookie-Chick*; March 22nd, 2013 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Should of kept my cool!

Thread Information