Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Alabama man kills bus driver, kidnaps 6-year-old boy

Default Alabama man kills bus driver, kidnaps 6-year-old boy

This story is just nuts. This guy has to have serious mental issues.

Man kills Alabama bus driver, holds child hostage underground

By Lateef Mungin, CNN
    updated 10:33 AM EST, Wed January 30, 2013

Bus driver shot; students 'in shock'
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• NEW: Authorities identify the bus driver as Charles Albert Poland Jr., 66
    • Pastor tells CNN affiliate WSFA other children on the bus saw the driver shot 4 times
    • The gunman is holding the boy hostage in an underground bunker
    • The incident happened in Midland City, Alabama

(CNN) -- A gunman boarded a school bus in Alabama, took a 6-year-old boy hostage and killed the driver who tried to save him, police said Wednesday.

The incident occurred Tuesday and continued into Wednesday morning, with authorities still desperately trying to free the young child, who was being held by the gunman in an underground bunker.

"We will continue to work diligently through the night in an effort to bring closure to this incident as quickly as possible," the Dale County Sheriff's Department said late Tuesday.

Authorities identified the slain bus driver as 66-year-old Charles Albert Poland Jr.

Late in the evening Tuesday, the shooter had the child in some sort of underground bunker or storm shelter, and authorities were communicating with him through a PVC pipe, CNN affiliate WSFA reported.

Adding to the tension was the fact that the child needs medication that has to be taken daily, CNN affiliate WDHN reported.

Overnight, authorities were able to send the child's medication down the pipe into the bunker and also determine that the boy had not been physically harmed, WDHN reported.

The incident started at about 3:40 p.m. (4:40 p.m. ET) near a church in Midland City, Alabama, in the southeastern corner of the state. Authorities have since expanded an evacuation area in an effort to protect nearby residents.

Michael Senn, a local pastor, told WSFA that he spoke to several students who had been on the bus.

He said a girl described the shooter getting aboard.

"He told most of them to get off the bus," Senn related. "And then he grabbed a little boy and shot the bus driver four times." The driver's body was removed from the bus early Wednesday, WDHN reported.

Mike Creel, the suspect's neighbor, said he also talked to some of the children who escaped the bus. It was a terrifying scene, Creel told the affiliate.
    The suspect initially demanded two children, Creel told WSFA.

"The one child he got ahold of actually fainted," said Creel. "That was the reason he was able to grab him. And now he is hidden in his homemade bomb shelter."

Creel said the suspect had been living in the area for about two years and began building the shelter right when he moved in.
    Authorities have not released the name of the suspected gunman.

Early in the morning, local authorities allowed the FBI to take the lead in the hostage situation, WDHN reported.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It's been all over the news this morning. I cannot imagine the terror that little boy is feeling. And the poor bus driver's family...this is just so terrible and horrific.

That poor child. I can't imagine what his family is going through. Same for the bus drivers family. Awful.

This has totally taken over the local news. I hope it ends as well as possible, but I'm afraid it won't. The weather is shit all over the state today, so a lot of schools and businesses are closed and people are just sitting around watching this unfold.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I don't understand this story at all. The man who took the child is not the father of the child? Or of any other child on the bus? This guy's plan was to abduct a child off of a bus after committing a murder in broad daylight and he thought nobody would look for him (and the child) in his bunker?

Officials aren't coming off a motive, but some witnesses and people who know the parties involved are telling the local news that the suspect is a Vietnam veteran who's using this as a platform to air his anti-government/anti-America views.

He was scheduled to be in court on a menacing charge today, apparently. He allegedly pulled a gun on a neighbor last month.

Jeebus. I hope this kid will be ok.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I don't understand this story at all. The man who took the child is not the father of the child? Or of any other child on the bus? This guy's plan was to abduct a child off of a bus after committing a murder in broad daylight and he thought nobody would look for him (and the child) in his bunker?

Actually, I read somewhere that he asked for two children and he shot the driver when he tried to stop him. The only reason he got that particular child is because that one fainted. But again, you know how stories run in the early stages so that all could be true or not.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Actually, I read somewhere that he asked for two children and he shot the driver when he tried to stop him. The only reason he got that particular child is because that one fainted. But again, you know how stories run in the early stages so that all could be true or not.
    Okay. Thanks. And I agree with the disclaimer, too.

True. I have read various stories, so not sure what all is true or not at this point. I feel for the bus driver and his family, my Lord. It sounds like he did his job and tried to protect the kids in his care. Such a trauma these children went through on a simple bus ride home from school. And this poor little boy,...words can't express my worries for him.

Oh, I hope they get the boy. Please get the boy.

There aren't any updates on the national news about this. Any local updates? I hope this poor boy is rescued and safe.

This is the stuff of nightmares. That poor little boy. I hope he is released safely.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

All the stories are now 4 hours old or older. Do we have any local Alabama posters with any updates?

Nothing new. They're saying the kid has a medical condition and they were able to get his meds to him. The weather is deteriorating and there have been several tornado warnings in the area, but I'm not sure if Dale County specifically has been.

The neighbors are saying he was a time bomb. Apparently, he recently killed a neighbor's dog and she was on the local news saying that it was just a matter of time before this guy snapped.

I've got the tv on and will post anything new I see.
    Waterslide likes this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information