Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By HWBL
  • 1 Post By pinkbunnyslippers
  • 1 Post By Aella

Thread: Woman Thrown on Subway Tracks in Philadelphia

Default Woman Thrown on Subway Tracks in Philadelphia

Woman Thrown on Subway Tracks During Violent Attack | NBC 10 Philadelphia

A woman survives being thrown onto the tracks during a vicious attack in the SEPTA subway.
    We want to warn you that the video above may be difficult to watch.

The attacker and the woman were alone at the SEPTA subway station at 8th and Race in Chinatown on Tuesday afternoon. He asked to borrow a light for his cigarette. Then, without warning, he attacks her, drags her onto the landing and throws her down onto the tracks.
    SEPTA Chief of Police Thomas Nestel tells NBC10 the woman, 23, was very fortunate she walked away with only bumps, bruises and some cuts.

"It's horrifying. And when you see that happen, you think the worst. We all know that there is a tremendous electric source. You touch that, you die," Nestel said.
    Why then, didn't SEPTA get the attack video and the man's description out to the public as soon as possible?
    Nestel says he made the call not to go public because the attacker had a very distinct jacket on and he was confident that was their best lead.
    He admits it was risky, but "it's also risky to put that information out. He gets rid of that coat and I lose my best chance to get a dangerous man off the streets."
    The attacker was found two days later at 15th and JFK -- in that very jacket -- by a SEPTA officer.
    Police say he had the victim's cell phone on him.
    Chief Nestel tweeted this praise for the arresting officer:

I take the Broad Street line 5 days a week. This truely bothers me. After hearing about people being pushed onto the tracks has made me stand back away from the edge even more. It goes to show that even sitting away, no one is safe. This sickens me.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Seriously, for a fucking cell phone?! I hate people.
    KrisNine and laynes like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That was horrific.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Are there not Police that patrol these places? I mean jesus f*cking christ.. This is the 3rd one in two months.

WTF is wrong with people? Jesus, really makes you wish the Mayans were right.
    laynes likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

It's why I hate riding the subways here. And when someone comes to sit next to me, I am tempted to move.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Surveillance was watching live--they couldn't run to help the woman out of the tracks before the train came?

Leads me to think, if this were to happen to us God forbid, what is the best thing to do if we're stuck in the tracks and a train is coming: lay down flat between the tracks??
    Go Habs Go!!

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    Are there not Police that patrol these places? I mean jesus f*cking christ.. This is the 3rd one in two months.
    There are at some stations, during certain times. There are also undercover cops riding the subway. A few weeks ago there was someone who got caught trying to steal something from someone. I posted a story about it. I'll look for it when I'm on my laptop instead of my phone.
    laynes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    Surveillance was watching live--they couldn't run to help the woman out of the tracks before the train came?

Leads me to think, if this were to happen to us God forbid, what is the best thing to do if we're stuck in the tracks and a train is coming: lay down flat between the tracks??
    What To Do If You Fall In The Subway Tracks: Gothamist

What To Do If You Fall In The Subway Tracks

Because sometimes these things happen (Photograph by John Ross, courtesy of the Daily News)

In the wake of this week's awful and well-documented fatal subway shoving many New Yorkers have been wondering what, exactly, they should do if they suddenly were to find themselves lying in the subway tracks. Because not every conductor can stop in time. And sadly, there is no one answer.
    Because every station is different the MTA refrains from giving any tips on what to do if you fall off the platform. "What we do say officially is that customers should stand well back from the edge of the platform when waiting for the train," a spokesman tells us. "Also, if a customer drops something onto the tracks they should contact a transit employee who will call personnel to retrieve the item."
    And the MTA's advice is sound. But also doesn't really help. Luckily, earlier this year an MTA conductor offered his take on the eternal question during a Reddit AMA. His response?
    If, god forbid, I fall onto the tracks or someone I am willing to risk my life for falls into the tracks and is knocked out - and a train is coming (lets say 30sec away) - what should I do? Are those pits between the rails by the platforms made for people to hide in in a worst case scenario?The best thing you can do is run as far down the platform as you can (in the opposite direction from where the train enters the station) and wave your arms frantically to get the train operator and passenger's attention. Believe me, the passengers WILL be doing the exact same thing, as nobody wants to see you get run over and their train get delayed.
    If you can get to the far end of the platform, it gives the train more room to stop, and there is a ladder at the end of each platform where you can climb back up -- do NOT try to climb up from where you are. So many people have been killed trying to jump back up rather than getting away from the entrance end of the station.
    Do NOT trust the pits between the tracks --- they are often right next to the third rail which can be just as dangerous (and note that the wooden planks are not designed to hold a human's weight - they are there to protect the energized rail from drips and weather) and the train operator is less likely to see you if you're in there. And don't duck under the train, because most stations do not have enough clearance for the average human.
    And do NOT jump down onto the tracks to try to save someone else. The best thing you can do is run on the platform towards the tunnel where the train enters so you can get the operator's attention sooner. Waving your arms over the tracks will tell the operator to stop immediately.

So really the best thing you can do? Try and stay well clear of the edge of the platform until your train is in the station. But if you do end up in the tracks, getting as far from where the train enters on is a good start.
    I think I'll stick with the bus.

Christ, that video.... I'm just glad the poor woman survived and that shitstain was caught.

All those stories will end up giving me tube phobia.
    laynes likes this.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Here ya go laynes. There is also a video of that kid being taken down. Awesome!
    14 Year Old Robbed Someone, Then Gets Nabbed By Undercover Cop

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    Here ya go laynes. There is also a video of that kid being taken down. Awesome!
    14 Year Old Robbed Someone, Then Gets Nabbed By Undercover Cop
    Thanks! That's awesome! Little shit.

Thread Information