Thread: Alleged Anti-Gay Hate Crime Victim, Says Attack Wasn't Motivated By Sexuality

Default Alleged Anti-Gay Hate Crime Victim, Says Attack Wasn't Motivated By Sexuality

I can barely believe this story. What is going on in Mallory Owens' head, and can they prosecute the person who did this to her if she isn't going to be cooperative?

Mallory Owens, Alleged Anti-Gay Hate Crime Victim, Says Attack Wasn't Motivated By Sexuality

The victim of an alleged Alabama hate crime is dismissing claims that the attack was somehow motivated by her sexuality.
    Mallory Owens, 23, told CBS affiliate WKRG that the alleged Nov. 22 attack was "just a bad, bad night."
    Though her family has said she was beaten by her girlfriend's brother Travis Hawkins Jr. because of her sexuality, Owens noted, "A lot of things have happened between us, but it doesn't make me hate her brother. I don't hate her family at all, or anybody for that matter."
    Owens, who was reportedly attending Thanksgiving dinner at the family home of girlfriend Ally Hawkins (Travis' sister) at the time of the attack, suffered multiple skull fractures and crushed bones, and had metal plates put under her eyes because of her injuries, according to earlier reports.
    She has since been released from the hospital and is said to be recovering at the Hawkins family home, where the attack took place.
    Owens' sister and mother were among those to allege that 18-year-old Hawkins had attacked Mallory because of her sexuality. "I want him behind bars for life," Avery Godwin (Owens' sister) told WKRG. "He doesn't need to be out, because if he does he could do this to someone else or he'll finish it off with my sister."

Silver Member

I can't believe this.

This happened in Alabama and people are going nuts about it. Allegedly the victim also returned to the house the attack happened in to recuperate after she left the hospital - though she may have to return to the hospital for additional plastic surgeries - which has people baffled. That whole Hawkins family is apparently whacked in the head, because last year the father of the assailant allegedly shot him. The poor victim needs deprogramming.

ETA: Yes, they can prosecute without the victim, but it becomes much harder. They will have to prove that HE did this to her without her testimony, or without I assume the testimony of anyone else there who witnessed it, since they're all his family. It will depend on what other evidence they have going.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Silver Member

Could they get statement from her or a written account of what happened? Or would that be considered hearsay?

poor girl.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Update - statement by Mallory Owens:

I am represented by attorneyChristine Hernandez. I am supported by my family, friends, several organizations including Equality Alabama and GLAAD as well as numerous other indviduals who have offered a multitude of support to myself and my family including all of those that have donated to help me with my medical expenses. For all of you that have supported me, I am very grateful.The last week has been the most traumatic several days I have ever experienced, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Not just for me, but for my family as well. Fortunately, we are a strong family, and we are sticking together as a family. On Thanksgiving Day, I visited the Hawkins' home, the family home of my girlfriend Ally Hawkins. As I was leaving, I was brutally attacked by Travis Hawkins Jr., Ally's brother. I believe that he intended to kill me. I was defenseless against him. This was not the first time Travis Hawkins Jr. attacked me and sent me to the hospital.
    Travis Hawkins Jr. has been charged with Assault Second Degree by the District Attorney's office. Although, I appreciate all the efforts of the hospital and EMS staff, police, all the investigators, and District Attorney Ashley Rich, neither I nor my family agree that Assault Second Degree is the right charge. We are very hopeful and optimistic that as Ms. Rich, her offce and the police continue to investigate this crime, that the charges will be upgraded to attempted Murder. I was unconscious when the beating ended. I do not know what stopped him. I do know he has threatened to kill me before, he has attacked me with a metal pipe before, and on Thanksgiving Day he launched an unprovoked attack on me that left me unconscious, hospitalized, suffering horrific head trauma, severe injuries and in need of surgery and additional treatment. Since the attack, Travis Hawkins Jr. has been seen following my family and appearing at locations where they have gathered. He has threatened to finish me off. I believe as long as he is free on bond that my life continues to be in danger. Even beyond the physical harm, I am quite traumatized. I am afraid and I feel that I have been victimized repeatedly by the Hawkins family.
    The interview at the Hawkins home was not requested by me, nor was I aware that the media would be at the Hawkins home. I was brought back to the home by Ally Hawkins. I wanted to be in my own apartment. Mr. Hawkins Sr. insisted we give the interview and statements were made. I believe Mr. Hawkins Sr. is very manipulative, I believe he organized the family and orchestrated the media represenation to portray himself in a better light. I do not feel safe there. I was very uneasy and nervous while I was there. I was still very disoriented, weak, and intimidated. Mr. Hawkins Sr. has also threatened me with harm based on my relationship with his daughter. Travis Hawkins Sr. threatened me with a metal pipe while I was waiting in the car on a prior occassion. Travis Hawkins Jr. used a metal pipe to assault me on a prior occassion. He and his son pose a very real threat. I will not go back there.
    It will be a very long time before I feel safe again. This sort of attack whether it is proven to be a hate crime or a crime derived from one man's hate of another human being should not happen to anyone in this country. No one should have to endure an attack the way that I did. Neither should a mother have to see her daughter in the state that my mom had to see me.
    During this investigation, many statements were made to the media, some were premature and misguided. All of us involved have been at the center of a huge media storm. At this time, we want to let the investigation continue and we need to heal. Ally Hawkins has continued to release statements and make arbitrary facebook posts and she has even offered a motive for her brother's actions. Please know that Ally Hawkins is NOT SPEAKING for me, she is NOT representing me in the media in any way. Her statements and public posts on facebook or any other form of social media are NOT representative of my opinions, beliefs or words.
    I am fortunate that my family's love for me is unconditional. I fell in love with a girl. My family loves, accepts and supports me. They have shown nothing but love and acceptance throughout my attack, my time in the hospital, and the investigation of this brutal attack, they have been there for me, loving me and supporting me. I want to thank and publicly show my appreciation for my mom, my brother and sister, my Uncle Ricky, Linda, my grandma. Besides the countless individuals who have offered their support financially and in words of kindness, I also want to thank organizations like Equality Alabama and GLAAD for offering their direct support to me and my family, as well as working to create a culture in Alabama where people aren't attacked for being who they are and loving who they love. Thank you to all those who have prayed, supported and advocated for myself and my family. For those of you who pray, we ask you to continue to pray for us as we heal.

Elite Member

It sounds like she didn't want to lose her girlfriend, but it's not worth her life and someone that does not stick up for her after this is not worth her time.

Omigod, that poor woman. How can what happen to her NOT be a hate crime? I just don't understand. I mean, the fucker attacked her with a metal pipe for godsakes! Anyway, I pray she has a quick recovery from this horrible ordeal. And the asshole gets what's coming to him.
    Rock the fuck on!

So, basically, the girlfriend set her up by taking her to her family's home when she didn't really want to?

I don't even know what to say, this is a horrible case. D:

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

I hope this disgusting piece of shit goes to prison for a long time and becomes the bitch of the biggest, baddest guy in there. Oh the irony that will be.
    How can you almost beat someone to death with your hands? This guy needs to be taken out of society asap.

Thread Information