Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Michael Skakel denied parole in 1975 beating death of Martha Moxley

Default Michael Skakel denied parole in 1975 beating death of Martha Moxley

Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel denied parole in 1975 slaying

SUFFIELD, Conn. ó Imprisoned Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel lost a bid for freedom on Wednesday, turned down at his first parole hearing since he was convicted a decade ago of beating his teenage neighbor to death with a golf club and told he would not be eligible again to be considered for release for five years.

Skakel, who proclaimed his innocence at the hearing, nodded, grimaced and patted his attorney on the back as he was led away after the three-person state parole board announced the unanimous decision.

Skakel, a nephew of Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert F. Kennedy, was convicted in 2002 of fatally beating Martha Moxley in Greenwich in 1975, when they were 15. He is serving 20 years to life in prison.

The decision was the latest setback for Skakel, who has lost appeals challenging his conviction.

Skakel, whose case has long drawn national attention, has another appeal challenging the work and competency of his trial attorney coming up for trial in the spring. Skakel claims the trial attorney had financial problems and didnít devote enough money to prepare the case, but the attorney insists he did everything he could to keep Skakel from being convicted.

The denial of parole came after a concerted effort by Skakelís supporters, including his cousin Robert F. Kennedy Jr., to show him as a model inmate who has touched many lives in a positive way with his artwork, helping recovering alcoholics and teaching English as a second language to prisoners. The supporters also say heís been devoted to his son despite being in prison.

At the hearing at McDougall-Walker Correctional Institution in Suffield, Skakel spoke slowly and softly, saying: "I did not commit this crime."

In attendance was the victimís mother, Dorthy Moxley, who said losing a child is the worst thing in the world and Skakel should serve at least 20 years.

"Martha, my baby, will never have a life," she said, her voice breaking.

Skakel told the parole board he prays every day that whoever committed the crime is brought to justice but he is the wrong man. He said his best chance to win parole was to admit guilt.

"If I could ease Mrs. Moxleyís pain in any way, manner, shape or form I would take responsibility all day long for this crime," Skakel said.

But, he added, "I cannot bear false witness against myself."

The 52-year-old Skakel, with gray, thinning hair, wore a tan prison jumpsuit to the hearing. To support his claims of innocence, he told of how he became sober.

"I pose to you: How can a guilty man stay sober for 30 years with that kind of guilt on his mind?" he said.

Skakel also talked about his motherís death at an early age, his learning disability and a childhood in which he attended numerous schools. He said his ex-wife was recently diagnosed with cancer and he is concerned about his 13-year-old son.

"Iím at your mercy," Skakel said. "If anything this justice system, this life has taught me I have no power. The only power I have is prayer."

The chair of the parole board, Erika Tindill, said it was an odd situation for him to ask for early release while proclaiming innocence.

Ultimately, she said, the board concluded that the time he has served is not punishment enough for the crime while noting the denial was not based on a risk he would reoffend. Board members praised Skakel for activities in prison and noted he had not been in trouble.

The victimís brother, John Moxley, said during the hearing that he believes Skakel should serve a life sentence. He said Skakel has not shown any remorse.

"Thereís no upside in this," he said after the hearing. "So what? Heís got another five years in prison. What does that do for Martha? Itís a hollow victory."

Skakelís attorney, Hope Seeley, said the boardís decision is disappointing because Skakel is not a danger to society.

"To incarcerate Michael Skakel for at least another five years compounds the miscarriage of justice that has already occurred in this case," she said.

Many letters in support of Skakel cite his artwork in prison, saying he has made uplifting paintings that show his true nature, give joy to others and encourage family values. Letters objecting to his parole cite the brutal nature of the crime and say releasing him early would be devastating to the victimís family.

Skakel will have another chance to try to get out of prison next April, when his appeal, seeking a new trial, goes to court.

He seemed to be bracing himself at the parole hearing.

"I am resigned to do Godís will, whatever that is," he told the board.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view.bg?articleid=1061169987

Like the typical Kennedy, this guy has spent millions exploring every avenue of trying not to accept culpability. But this time, it's not working. But I'll let my friend Nelson say it better:

that he still denies his guilt is freaking amazing.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Many letters in support of Skakel cite his artwork in prison, saying he has made uplifting paintings that show his true nature
    When you stab and beat a 15 year old to death with a golf club, that is your true nature.
    ďWhat are you looking at, sugar-tits?Ē - Mel Gibson

I think my favorite part about his statements was, "if I was guilty, how could I not drink with that on my mind".... STFU.

As a drunk, I take high offense when someone claims they must have not been a dick because now they dont need to drink NOW. Fuck you dude... you've been in prison 10 years, suck it up. I hope you die in prison & stop using sobriety as your get out of jail free card
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

The book that I read about this was chilling. Fuck that entitled bastard, let him rot in jail. I feel for mrs. Moxley.
    Bluebonnet and Seapharris7 like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

What were some of the details that stuck out to you Shellee? Sounds like it might be a good read.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Hit By Ban Bus!

I feel so sorry for Mrs. Moxley. As the mom of a beautiful young woman like Martha who has her whole life ahead of her, I do not even want to imagine the searing pain of losing her.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    What were some of the details that stuck out to you Shellee? Sounds like it might be a good read.
    Actually, now that I'm sober, the book that I read was by Domminick Dunne and it was a fictional account based on the Skakel murder. I don't think it was too far off base though. It was a really good book though. It's called "A Season in Purgatory".
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

The Lifetime movie about this was on a few days ago. Skakel sounds like a manipulative, unrepentant sociopath to me, they should lock him up and throw away the key.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Actually, now that I'm sober, the book that I read was by Domminick Dunne and it was a fictional account based on the Skakel murder. I don't think it was too far off base though. It was a really good book though. It's called "A Season in Purgatory".
    Yes, Dominick Dunne wrote a fictionalized version first, but then Mark Fuhrman wrote "A Murder in Greenwich" based on the actual case. It's been several years since I read it, but IIRC, it was Dunne who encouraged him to investigate and write the book, and now that I've looked it up on Amazon--he wrote the foreward. It was Fuhrman's book that actually led to the case being re-opened and Skakel's arrest.

Murder in Greenwich: Who Killed Martha Moxley?: Mark Fuhrman,Dominick Dunne: Amazon.com: Books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Moxley
    Seapharris7 likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I've read all the wikipedia info on this, but what was some of the most damning evidence from the book that made them convinced of Michael's guilt? It's such a long drawn-out story, it's hard to tell.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

^ That's what I was wondering. What evidence did they have? I didn't see anything about any DNA evidence.

Crime Library - Moxley

Great website, there's over 10 pages detailing the crime & evidence + updates.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

love that site ^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information