Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: 14-Year-Old Accused Of Killing Her Baby Could Get Life In Prison

Default 14-Year-Old Accused Of Killing Her Baby Could Get Life In Prison

A 14-year-old girl charged with killing her newborn baby will be tried as an adult in court.
    Cassidy Goodson was indicted by a grand jury on Thursday, according to the Lakeland Ledger.
    Authorities say that on September 19, Goodson gave birth to her son in a Lakeland, Fla. bathroom, then strangled the baby. When asked why she killed her child, Goodson allegedly told authorities she "didn't know what to do with it." She had reportedly tried to hide her pregnancy using baggy clothes.
    The Ledger notes that the maximum penalty for first-degree murder is typically a mandatory life sentence or the death penalty, but Goodson's age prevents her from getting the death penalty. If she were tried as a juvenile, the toughest sentence she could get would keep her locked up until she turned 22.
    State Attorney Jerry Hill justified his decision to try Goodson as an adult.
    "The decision was fact driven," he said. "I think the facts demand first-degree murder charges."
    Police say the high school freshman ultimately used scissors to pry the baby out of her body and into the toilet. Lifting the baby out of the toilet, Goodson "placed her hands on the infant's neck and squeezed until he wasn't moving or breathing any longer," according to a statement released by Polk County Sheriff's Office.
    Writing for the Juvenile Justice Information Exchange, Tamar Birckhead expressed hope that the case would bring attention to the plight of teen mothers who hide their pregnancies out of shame:
    Infant safe haven laws have been enacted in many states as an incentive for mothers in crisis to relinquish their babies to designated locations, but pregnant teens are poorly positioned to take advantage of these programs. If we are to reconsider how we respond to these acts, we must take steps to understand the causes of infanticide and deal with its complexity.
    "It may be too late to change the ultimate outcome for Cassidy Goodson, but thousands of other young girls are currently hiding their pregnancies in our neighborhoods and communities," Birckhead writes.

Cassidy Goodson To Be Tried As Adult: 14-Year-Old Accused Of Killing Her Baby Could Get Life In Prison

This poor baby. I hope they make her be tried as a juvenile.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Police say the high school freshman ultimately used scissors to pry the baby out of her body and into the toilet.
    Holy shit. I can't.
    Mel1973 and holly like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

^ I hope so too. 14 year olds should not be tried as adults.

fgg

because a 14 year old isn't mature enough to know that you shouldn't kill someone? sorry, she gets a life in prison vote from me.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I could understand abandoning the baby in the bathroom or elsewhere for someone else to find, but strangling it is pretty hardcore and cold-blooded.
    holly and pinkbunnyslippers like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

What a horrible story. I'm torn on this, she's just a baby herself - but I have to agree with fgg, what 14 year old doesn't know that this is fundamentally wrong? ... so so sad. That picture of her is haunting me.
    Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I saw one a while back that had two guys dressed like pterodactyls and some chick doing stuff while a little unidentified dinosaur watched. It was at that point that I realized (hoped?) I'd reached the end of the internet.

Once again, I'm not sure what is supposed to be done with these kids that commit these types of crimes. I agree, at 14, you fucking know it's wrong to murder someone. Strangling your newborn in a toilet is pretty hardcore and cold-blooded. Don't most states have safe haven laws where you can drop off your baby and face no charges? Still, I'm not really on board with life in prison. It's horrible because something has to be done that's harsh and serious enough, but that also allows this girl to eventually be a productive member of society when she gets out.

Well, she was old enough to fuck, old enough to know to not let her pregnancy show, old enough to lie about it and old enough to kill her child. She doesn't get off the hook from me either.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Life in prison, and sterilization.

She is 14, which is more than old enough to understand that killing someone is wrong. She killed her baby by strangling him immediately after he was born. That takes time and effort. It's not even like she just abandoned him. She cold-bloodedly murdered him because he was an inconvenience to her.

This bitch had 9 months to look into all of her options, and there were many. The fact that she hid the pregnancy and then killed the baby immediately after its birth indicates to me that this was premeditated. She never had any intention of doing anything else. She didn't want anyone to know about the baby because she planned to dispose of him and pretend it never happened.
    Brookie and Kathie_Moffett like this.

I can't help feeling sorry for her. 14 isn't old enough to have sex, which is why we have statutory rape laws. We don't know that she murdered him because he was an inconvenience - maybe she came from a strict/religious background and was scared of what would happen to her. I can't imagine what it would be like to be 14 and trying to hide a pregnancy, and while I'm sure I wouldn't have killed it, that's more likely because I wouldn't have been as afraid to tell my family. She's just a baby herself, so I'm not willing to write her off as a sociopath until I know the circumstances.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

We consider them children when it comes to fucking, driving, drinking, working. But yet, they should be considered full fledged adults when crime is the issue. What the fuck is with the disconnect?

[YOUTUBE]75XKGVwGEt4[/YOUTUBE]
    sputnik, yanna, Kittylady and 3 others like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I do not think most 14 year olds would strangle a puppy,kitten,baby or any other helpless critter. I don't think most 8 year olds would either. She was old enough to
    choke a helpless being.
    There is something badly wrong with this girl. Badly. I leave it to the experts to figure out what. This happens,usually the kid does not kill. This one did.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The difference for me is with working, driving, sex, etc - those laws exist to protect a minor from the world. When the world needs protecting from the minor, that's when the game changes for me.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

it's not about 'knowing' that killing a baby is wrong. a 9 year-old knows it's wrong too, that's no reason to try a child as an adult. you can't pick and choose and say that if a kid has something bad done to them, they're children, but if they're the ones who commit a crime, all of a sudden they're monsters who deserve to be punished like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    There is something badly wrong with this girl. Badly.
    yes, you're probably right. but having something wrong with her doesn't make her an adult. it does not justify trying her as one.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information