Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Woman murdered while on 911 call not found for two days

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Woman murdered while on 911 call not found for two days

Dallas police are investigating why it took two days to discover the body of a murdered woman who had called 911 pleading for help as she was attacked in her home.

Deanna Cook, 32, was on her cellphone with 911 for 11 minutes as she was murdered Aug. 17. Police said they responded to her home after about nine minutes — the time it took to locate her address.

There, they knocked and when they didn’t get an answer at the door or on her phone, they left.

Cook’s body was found in the bathtub on Sunday by her teenage daughter, who had helped other family members break into her home after she didn’t make it to church.

Cook’s ex-husband, Delvecchio Patrick, has been charged with her murder.

Police have refused to release the 911 transcript, but the Dallas Morning News reports that “Deanna Cook was heard choking, gurgling . . . screaming ‘Delvecchio, why are you doing this?’"

Patrick had multiple past arrests for allegedly assaulting Cook and police had responded to the address before.

Cook’s family wants to know if more could have been done to save her.

“We just deserve more answers than we’re getting,” sister Karletha Gundy said.

Police say the seriousness of the incident was not relayed to them by the 911 dispatcher. Sources told KHOU-TV that “the operator never relays that Cook is being attacked,” only that police were to report to a disturbance.

But the 911 operator, who hasn’t been identified, said she didn’t feel like she knew what was going on at the house.

“I can say that it's obvious that there was an active disturbance taking place, the screaming and things like that, so I can't say that I knew what was going on, other than there was a disturbance,” she told the Dallas Morning News.

Gundy wants to know why police didn’t make more of an effort to get inside the home.

“If they could have kicked the door down, maybe she could have been saved," Gundy said.

The day Cook died, she Tweeted that she was being threatened.

“Now Dude say He Gone KILL me. Wouldn't be so bad if he ain't tried 3 times before,” the post reads.

In a statement, the Dallas Police Department said it was "seeking to determine if the nature of the [911] call was sufficiently communicated...to the responding officers.”

Read more: Woman murdered while on 911 call not found for two days** - NY Daily News

Police have refused to release the 911 transcript, but the Dallas Morning News reports that “Deanna Cook was heard choking, gurgling . . . screaming ‘Delvecchio, why are you doing this?’"
    And the 911 operator couldn't interpret this any better than as "a disturbance"?
    Waterslide likes this.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

She sounds like a total twit. She needs to be fired. There is a lack of common sense there that can never be taught.
    That poor woman.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

How horrid. So, so sad for her family.

Those must have been absolutely horrific sounds.
    I remember one real forensic show on TV where they played a tape of (what turned out to be) a dying woman. I don't remember how the phone happened to be "on" (I believe this happened in the early 1980's) but all the 911 operator heard was one long, agonizing, groan, howl almost. Back then, however, they were somehow able to locate where the call was made from and found the woman dead, practically mutilated, which indicated it was most likely a crime of passion. I'll never forget that sound, very disturbing.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I used to be a 911 operator, and let me tell you, absolutely none of this is excusable, or defensible. There are protocols in place to prevent just this type of thing.

And I'm not sure how the police can refuse to release the 911 call transcript - that wasn't an option where I worked. If someone requested the transcript, they got it.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

Man this story really pisses me off. How incompetent can this police force be?

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Man this story really pisses me off. How incompetent can this police force be?
    Not the police- the 911 operator did not give them the right info. She needs to be fired.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We'll see if more information comes out, but I think the police who showed up should have done more as well. The call came from inside that house and now there is no answer? no response? So they just leave?

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    We'll see if more information comes out, but I think the police who showed up should have done more as well. The call came from inside that house and now there is no answer? no response? So they just leave?
    The are not allowed to do anything unless someone is in danger. She was,but they were not given the correct information that would have allowed them to act further. They have pretty strict rules.
    The operator screwed it.

This is so horribly tragic. I can't help but feel so horrible for the murdered woman as she probably felt like she had a lifeline while she was on the phone.

This reminds me of the story of this young woman in Florida who was kidnapped and raped, had numerous people call 911 - one witness even saw her in the car and called 911 while she could see and hear the woman - and they could not coordinate 911 and police to find her. It was like everyone involved did what exactly what they were supposed to do except 911.

Murder of Denise Amber Lee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't even imagine being a 911 operator. I'd be in shreds by the end of day 1. I couldn't handle it. I imagine there are probably a lot of incredible people working the phones at 911 and the only ones who get any airplay are the ones who fuck up, and when they do, they fuck up bad.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I can't even imagine being a 911 operator. I'd be in shreds by the end of day 1. I couldn't handle it. I imagine there are probably a lot of incredible people working the phones at 911 and the only ones who get any airplay are the ones who fuck up, and when they do, they fuck up bad.
    That's the nature of the beast though. By definition their job is to handle emergencies, typicaly life threatening. No one is calling up to get their kitty out of the tree. So when they fuck up, it has bigger consequences than the cable guy being dense.

I don't know why this story has me so mad but it does. I know mistakes happen but I doubt the victim called all calm and said her ex was "disturbing" her. I'm betting she was in a panic and begging for help. I don't fucking understand how you screw that up.

I totally agree CFG, which is why I know I couldn't handle the stress of that job. It's a lot of responsibility, it's not just answering a phone and I think it takes a person who can stay cool and calm in a panic. Although, maybe not as cool and calm as the person who took care of this, they're just useless as a human being. I don't know how you can fuck something up that bad either.

In the story I posted, the father and husband of the victim started lobbying to get standardized training and certification for 911 operators. I never realized they didn't have those things put in place already.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    The are not allowed to do anything unless someone is in danger. She was,but they were not given the correct information that would have allowed them to act further. They have pretty strict rules.
    The operator screwed it.

Wouldn't exigent circumstance apply here?

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Wouldn't exigent circumstance apply here?
    Not if they didn't hear any sounds from the house. If all the 911 operator told them was there was a report of a disturbance, then they don't have grounds to enter the home.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information