Thread: Chicago’s Shootings Didn’t Happen In a Movie Theater, But It’s World’s Deadliest City

Default Chicago’s Shootings Didn’t Happen In a Movie Theater, But It’s World’s Deadliest City

Two months before alleged killer James Holmes stormed a Colorado movie theater, murdering 12 and injuring dozens more, police and politicians in a different place were trying to squelch the tremors from their own mass killing. It was in Chicago, over Memorial Day weekend, when police responded to more than 40 shooting victims in about 72 hours. Ten of those victims were shot dead, including four teenage children. Alas, despite the fact that more people died that weekend than in both the August 5 Sikh killings and yesterday's College Station shootings combined, there will be no flags at half-staff for those 10 Chicagoans. It's likely you didn't even know those people were dead, just like most of your friends and family. In a summer of now three much-lamented shootings with multiple victims, Chicago's murdered are the forgotten ones.

Because people in the media like to compare and contrast things in order to add perspective, there are now dozens of ways to look at Chicago's murder rate: In May, it was up 49 percent from last year. The Windy City's murder rate is worse than the murder rate in Kabul, a literal war zone. It's worse than New York, a city three times its size. And trumping them all: It's the worst murder rate out of every so-called "Alpha" city in the entire world, a grouping that includes even historically rough locales like Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Los Angeles, and New York.

Some people, especially the police, like to blame the violence on gangs, but Berkley law professor Franklin Zimring told the Daily Beast last month that saying Chicago violence is mostly gang-related is "both helpful and extremely mysterious." "Because there is no sense that Chicago has a gang profile which is vastly different from that of Los Angeles, and yet [the murder rate in] Los Angeles has continued [to be] low," he said.

I emailed Chicago Tribune crime reporter Peter Nickeas to ask him how the lack of attention given to Chicago's violence makes him feel. President Obama, I pointed out, had visited Aurora and made calls to the Oak Creek temple members just after the respective shootings. But his last visit to Chicago, on a weekend in which seven people were killed and 35 wounded by gun violence, was for a wedding and a round of golf. Here's what Nickeas wrote:
    I love my job. It matters. I don't see any other reporters, most nights, at the crime scenes I visit. I don't see anyone else standing next to crying family members or cops who are desensitized to it because it happens every shift, like clock work, across the city. Someone has to put these shootings into context, and make people realize that the nightly stories are more than box scores, even if we can't get out to a crime scene to illustrate it that night.

Everytime someone gets shot, someone in the neighborhood has to hear the gunfire, kids in the neighborhood see the police and hear the screaming relatives, they have to find out what happens as word trickles out into the community. So, that needs to be covered. I do what I can, and I'm proud of my organization's coverage. My editors give me wide leeway to go out and chase these stories overnight and I'm thankful for that.

Overall, the general lack of media coverage of Chicago violence bothers me. I wish more people paid attention. I feel like people just say "oh well, that's Chicago," with its 450 or so homicides a year. No other big city in the country would tolerate this. New York City is three times the size and is on pace for about 400 homicides this year. Chicago is looking at a real possibility of passing 500, if trends in both cities hold.

Regarding the presidential visit - I don't know why there's no visit. You'd have to ask his PR shop, I can't speak for him. I would note that if he visited after every weekend where 30+ people were shot, he'd be here every summer weekend, it seems.

I absolutely am not comparing the shootings in Aurora or Milwaukee recently to Chicago violence - they are two totally different things. I think part of the media coverage in those two places is that it was unexpected, it's a crazy outburst of violence by a single offender targeting people who have no reason to be targeted.

I think people here are numb to it. There are parts of the city where it's normal to hear gunfire. I've heard gunfire standing next to crime scenes and waited for someone in the neighborhood to call it in, only to hear silence on my portable scanner. I've listened to the scanner and heard cops calling in gunfire while they're guarding a crime scene from earlier in the night, only to hear the dispatchers keep saying "no tickets yet," (which means nobody's called 911 to report shots fired calls).

The reality is, Chicago was clocking 800+ murders 10 years ago and was down to about 440 last year, might be more than that this year (we're up about 30% year over year at this point, though the Superintendent has noted, the rate of the increase is decreasing. We were up 60% at one point this spring. I think we're at 320 or 330 this year compared to maybe 250 or 260 last year). A lot of the shootings here are gang related, and a lot of times the people shot are mutual combatants. It's a matter of people settling scores with each other, often times, and not someone walking into a random crowded place and shooting.

So what I try to do is show that the violence ripples out, even when it's confined to gang members and the people shooting hit only their targets. Nobody lives in a vacuum. The only thing we can do is keep visiting crime scenes, talking to families, talking to neighbors, talking to cops, and piecing together stories that show what the violence does to the city.
    For his part, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has responded to the killings with his unique brand of tough love, saying that he doesn't really care if gang members kill each other, just as long as they do it away from children and other innocents. "Take your stuff away to the alley," he told a press conference in early July. "Don't touch the children of the city of Chicago. Don't get near them." In Emanuel's words is the tacit understanding that it's not kids committing these crimes—at least not very small ones. It's young men committing these crimes, and the vast majority of those young men are black (though blacks make up only 33 percent of Chicago's population, they're 78 percent of the murder victims).

Wherever and why-ever and whomever is doing these shootings, it's been interesting to juxtapose them with the recent spate of mass killings that has America rapt. Chicago is on track to have 504 homicide victims by year's end, or about twenty-five times more than the casualties in the Aurora, Oak Creek, and College Station shootings combined.

To be sure, there is a problem of false equivalency here in that tragedy befalling people in one fell swoop—as it did in Aurora and Oak Creek—is jarring in a way that a consistent barrage of little tragedies is not. It's the difference between a home being flooded and a home suffering a steady leak in the ceiling. But that doesn't explain away why we as a nation care less when it's Chicagoans dying in their neighborhoods instead of Batman fans in a movie theater.

New pieces in the New Yorker and the New York Observer have pointed out the differences in how people have treated the Aurora shooting versus the Sikh temple shooting. The Observer's Hunter Walker noted that some Oak Creek Sikhs are disappointed Obama hasn't yet paid them a visit. In the New Yorker, political science professor Naunihal Singh wrote, "Unlike Aurora, which prompted nationwide mourning, Oak Creek has had such a limited impact that a number of people walking by the New York City vigil for the dead on Wednesday were confused, some never having heard of the killings in the first place."

When a hospital is overwhelmed with people in need of care, they perform triage to decide which patients to see first. Those hemorrhaging blood and on the verge of death take precedent, and those with headaches are told to wait. Society institutes triage, too, though it's mostly unspoken.

Tragedies like the Aurora shooting get months and years of press, and Americans of all stripes cry together over the preciousness and loss of life. After that, tragedies like the Sikh shooting and the College Station shooting get political statements, and maybe some people wonder what went wrong. But as Naunihal Singh lamented, there simply isn't the same level of interest as there is other times, perhaps because the victims were less in number or of an esoteric religion. Then, after all of those, comes Chicago, and the 100 or so people mowed down by gunfire there every few months.

Maybe if everyone killed annually by guns in Chicago was executed at the same time on Wrigley Field, the world might decide to pay attention. Life, for whatever reason, seems to be valued more when a lot of it is snatched away unfairly all at once. Also possible, and far more chilling, is that maybe people don't think it's so unfair for young black people to get killed in Chicago's ghettoes.

Chicago's Shootings Didn't Happen In a Movie Theater, But It's Still the World's Deadliest City
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; August 14th, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

If you think that's bad, can you imagine how bad it must be in San Pedro Sula, Honduras? Chicago's murder rate is 15.2 per 100,000 inhabitants. San Pedro Sula's is 159 per 100,000.

^^^^
    it's not only dangerous, san pedro sula is also a butt fucking ugly shithole.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    it's not only dangerous, san pedro sula is also a butt fucking ugly shithole.
    I don't remember very much of it - it's been about 20 years. I do remember, however, how grateful I was to arrive at a rental house there after showing up at Copan a day earlier, where there no hotel rooms available and 9 of us had to sleep overnight in a minivan.

copán is awesome though.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    copán is awesome though.
    It was amazing, even back in 1992. I heard it's even better now since they have uncovered a lot more ruins.

yeah, first time i was there was maybe mid-90s and i went back again about 4 years ago and it was a lot bigger and the museum and grounds great and well maintained. it still doesn't compare to tikal in terms of beauty and historical significance but it's an amazing site.

Damn, that's a shocking murder rate. I knew it was dangerous there but not that bad.

Huh, I thought Oakland came in first. Thanks for the article!

The media sensationalizes this. Yes, it's a ridiculously high murder rate but much (most) of the city is quite safe. Like any other big urban city, you have to know which areas are safe and which aren't.

Default Chicago Shootings: At Least 19 Wounded By Gun Violence Thursday, 13 Over 30 Minutes

CHICAGO -- Police say 13 people were shot and wounded in a 30-minute spate of violence in Chicago, including eight gunned down on a single street.

Authorities have been battling an increase in homicides in the city where some aldermen complain gangs have no fear of the police.

Police say a drive-by shooting on Chicago's South Side late Thursday wounded seven men and one woman ranging in age from 14 to 20 years.

Two of the victims were taken to Comer Children's Hospital. Most are in stable condition. Police say the 19-year-old woman wounded was shot in the arm while walking to work.

Five people were wounded in three other shootings around the same time.
    Police say 19 people were shot in Chicago on Thursday night and early Friday.

Chicago Shootings: At Least 19 Wounded By Gun Violence Thursday, 13 Over 30 Minutes
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Chicago marks grim milestone with 500 murders this year while New York sets an 18-year record low

By Daily Mail Reporter
    PUBLISHED: 00:00 EST, 26 December 2012 | UPDATED: 15:00 EST, 28 December 2012

Chicago has logged its 500th homicide of 2012, while New York dipped into a record low.
    On Thursday, officials with the Chicago Police Department said the city was one homicide away from the 500 mark. Hours later, a 40-year-old man was fatally shot on the city's West Side.
    Police say Nathaniel Jackson was found on the sidewalk outside a convenience store with a gunshot wound to the head late Thursday.
    WATCH VIDEO BELOW

Chicago Police announced Thursday that the city suffered its 500th homicide of the year

New York City murders is expected to hit a record low this year, and shootings are at their lowest point in at least 18 years.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, left, and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly make an appearance Friday

The Cook County Medical Examiner's Office says Jackson was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital early Friday.
    BLOOMBERG: CRIME UP OVERALL THANKS TO APPLE

Major crime is up this year in New York City, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg blames Apple's iPhones and iPads.
    As of Monday, the Police Department recorded 3,484 more major crimes in 2012 than for the same period last year. The increase in Apple product thefts: 3,890.
    'If you just took away the jump in Apple, we’d be down for the year,' said Marc La Vorgna, the mayor’s press secretary.
    Mr. Bloomberg said that Apple products appeared to be the preference for many thieves, reports The New York Times.
    And he offered some advice: keep devices in an interior, hard-to-reach pocket.
    'Put it in a pocket in sort of a more body-fitting, tighter clothes, that you can feel if it was — if somebody put their hand in your pocket, not just an outside coat pocket,' the mayor said.
    'The proliferation of people carrying expensive devices around is so great,' Mr. La Vorgna said. 'It’s something that’s never had to be dealt with before.'

Jackson's death remains under investigation, and no arrests have been made.
    The last time the city reached the 500-homicide mark was in 2008, when the year ended with 512 killings.
    Last year, city records show Chicago had 435 homicides.
    Meanwhile, the number of New York City murders is expected to hit a record low this year, and shootings are at their lowest point in at least 18 years.

More...

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly credited police efforts as they announced the statistics Friday.
    So far, there have been 414 homicides citywide this year. That's the fewest since reliable record-keeping for homicides began in 1963. The previous low was 471, in 2009.
    There have been 1,353 shootings this year. Comparable records for shootings go back to 1994. The prior low was 1,420 in 2009.
    Bloomberg often calls New York the safest big city in America.
    The description is based on FBI statistics for seven major crimes.

New York has the lowest rate per 100,000 residents among the 25 most populous U.S. cities.

Read more: Chicago marks grim milestone with 500 murders this year while New York sets an 18-year record low | Mail Online

Chicago police backtrack after confirming 500th homicide

Chicago police investigate the scene of a fatal shooting in the 1000 block of North Lavergne on Chicago's West Side. (Chris Sweda/ Chicago Tribune)

By Jeremy Gorner and Peter Nickeas Tribune reporters 2:49 p.m. CST, December 28, 2012

Hours after Chicago police listed the shooting death of a West Side man as the city’s 500th homicide of the year, the department backtracked and said the city has yet to reach the grim milestone.

Superintendent Garry McCarthy had told the Tribune Thursday afternoon that the homicide count stood at 499. Hours later, Nathaniel T. Jackson, 40, was gunned down outside a store in the Austin neighborhood and the department confirmed Friday morning that his death was the 500th homicide. Mayor Rahm Emanuel released a statement noting that "Chicago has reached an unfortunate and tragic milestone."

But then the department issued its own statement calling reports of the tally inaccurate, saying the number remained at 499. Asked for clarification, a spokeswoman for the superintendent said one of the homicide cases from earlier this week has been reclassified as a death investigation.

The case in question is last Saturday’s death of 57-year-old Edward Phelps. He died following a domestic-related altercation in the 0-99 block of North Long Avenue in Austin, police said.

Although he appeared to have suffered a blunt force injury, his autopsy on Sunday at the Cook County medical examiner’s office was ruled inconclusive, pending toxicological studies.

Still, police classified Phelps’ death as a homicide in the days following the autopsy, according to internal reports. It wasn’t until this afternoon that McCarthy’s spokeswoman, Melissa Stratton, citing the autopsy results, said the department reclassified the case as a death investigation.

McCarthy has been under fire because of the climbing number of homicides this year. As of Thursday night, homicides were up 17 percent over last year in Chicago and shootings had increased by 11 percent, according to police statistics.

Largely contributing to the spike was the unusual number of homicides that occurred during the early part of the year, when the city experienced unseasonable warmth. In the first three months of the year, homicides ran about 60 percent ahead of the 2011 rate.

The city's latest homicide occurred around 9 p.m. Thursday when someone walked up and shot Jackson in the head outside Noah Foods at Augusta Boulevard and Lavergne Avenue, police said.

Police tapped on apartment windows and knocked on doors looking for witnesses. A few bullet casings, which police believed were from a .45-caliber handgun, were found near the blood-stained sidewalk in front of the store. Police had no motive and no one was in custody.

Jackson's family sat for three hours in a waiting room at Stroger Hospital when staff members finally walked in and told them Jackson had died. Relatives stood up and exchanged tight embraces.

Jackson grew up on the West Side, a few miles from where he was gunned down, and had been released from prison this past summer after serving a sentence for robbery. He had been shot several years ago, after an earlier stint in jail, and a cousin said she constantly warned him to be careful on the street.

"The last time he was out, someone had shot him several times, in the back," Gave Bates said as she stood outside Stroger Hospital, where Jackson was pronounced dead shortly after midnight. "He was a fighter, he was a survivor."

Bates smiled through tears as she swiped her hand across her phone, flipping through pictures of her cousin playing around and striking goofy poses.

"He was a lot of fun, very good at imitating people," Bates said. "He just had so much fun all the time. And we all grew up together in the same house.
    Chicago police backtrack after confirming 500th homicide - chicagotribune.com
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Chicago should be a safe haven. They have admirable gun legislation. It must be some gang shit driving up their murder rate.

Most major cities have gangs and their numbers are lower. I wonder what the arrest / conviction rate for murder is in Chicago compared to other cities. Chicago criminals don't seem one bit concerned about law enforcement.

Gun law does not matter to a criminal.

Thread Information