Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Shootings at Sikh temple near Milwaukee

Default Shootings at Sikh temple near Milwaukee

Shootings at Sikh temple near Milwaukee

Staff report 12:55 p.m. CDT, August 5, 2012

A Sikh temple in a suburban Milwaukee is the scene of a shooting today that has left an unknown number of people injured.
    Oak Creek Police Department dispatcher Stephanie Uljanec says the shooting took place about 10:30 a.m. Sunday morning at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, 7512 S. Howell Ave. Oak Creek is south of Milwaukee along Lake Michigan.
    "We did have a shooting," Uljanec said. "It's unknown how many victims there are."

Uljanec said at 12:28 p.m. that they have not been notified of any fatalities.
    "Officers are still on the scene," she said.
    Sukhwindar Nagr, of Racine, says he called his brother-in-law's phone and a priest at the temple answered. Nagr says the priest told him that his brother-in-law had been shot, along with three priests.
    Nagr says the priest also said women and children were hiding in closets at the temple.
    The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is reporting at least four people have been shot.
    A spokeswoman for Froedtert Hospital, the main trauma center in the Milwaukee area, has told CNN that two men have been taken there and the hospital is ready to receive more.
    Uljanec said she did not know whether the shooting took place inside or outside the temple. She said she was called into work after it happened.
    "Our office has not been asked to respond yet," said Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office Investigator Jenni Penn at 12:40 p.m.
    "I haven't heard anything from an official," said Penn, who did not know anything about injuries at the temple.
    There are more than a dozen ambulances parked outside the temple, and police have corralled media and a handful of bystanders to an area near the temple.
    "We were told not to say anything," said an employee at a Classic Lanes, 7501 S. Howell Ave., near the temple. The worker did not want his name used.Fran McLaughlin, spokeswoman for the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department, says a call came in at 10:26 a.m. She says officers are at the scene but she has no other information to report.
    Tribune reporter Rosemary R. Sobol and Associated Press contributed to this report.

Shootings at Sikh temple near Milwaukee - chicagotribune.com
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Well, this is just what the world needed right now.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Heard about this on Twitter....from who? Ken Kerchieval who played Cliff Barnes on Dallas. He was tweeting about it and made it sound like they were shooting scenes there, not that there was an actual shooting. Just weird.

Terrible situation. Hope its not as bad as I am imagining.....

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Heard about this on Twitter....from who? Ken Kerchieval who played Cliff Barnes on Dallas. He was tweeting about it and made it sound like they were shooting scenes there, not that there was an actual shooting. Just weird.

Terrible situation. Hope its not as bad as I am imagining.....
    Really? Weird. Sounds like Cliffy baby is on the sauce - pass it to SueSue already.

Seriously, this shooting is awful. People do such fucked up shit to each other.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I just heard seven people are dead.

Eta- @BBCBreaking: US officials say initial reports suggest seven people have been killed in shooting at Sikh temple in Wisconsin

HuffPo is reporting that 7 were murdered and the shooter was killed.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Seven! How awful for everyone. I hope all those kids get out. Why couldn't the shooter just kill himself first?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

At least 7 shot dead at Sikh temple near Milwaukee

By Rosemary R. Sobol Tribune reporter 2:49 p.m. CDT, August 5, 2012

Seven people are dead in a shooting this morning at a Sikh temple in suburban Milwaukee, including the suspected gunman, and three others are wounded, including a veteran police officer who killed the shooter, authorities say.
    Tactical officers who swept the temple found four people dead inside the building and three people dead outside, Greenfield Police Chief Bradley Wentlandt told a news conference.
    One of those killed outside was shot after he fired on the first officer to arrive, he said. Wentlandt said the officer fired back, killing the gunman. He said the tactical officer, a 20-year veteran, was undergoing surgery at an area hospital.

"Multiple rounds were exchanged," he said. "The officer was shot multiple times. He is in surgery. His condition is not known at this time. (The shooter) is down at the scene and presumed dead."
    Wentlandt said police are still checking the temple to see if there are other gunmen.
    "At this time, we have not identified any additional gunmen," he said. "It's possible those multiple reports were of the same person. ... We're not sure there were additional shooters."
    Police were called around 10:25 a.m. to the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in Oak Creek, just south of Milwaukee along Lake Michigan. Several dozen people had gathered there for services this morning, witnesses said.
    Among those wounded was the president of the temple, Satwant Kaleka, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.
    Deepinder Dhaliwal said Kaleka, his brother in law, was shot in the back and was taken to a hospital. Dhaliwal told the newspaper that sister, the president's wife, called him while hiding inside the building with other women.
    Three people were taken in critical condition to nearby Froedtert Hospital, said hospital spokeswoman Beth Strohbusch. One was shot in the abdomen and another was shot in his extremities and face, Strohbusch said. The third was being evaluated in the emergency room as of 1:30 p.m.
    "One is in surgical intensive care, one is in the operating room and one is in the emergency room," she said. "All are in critical condition."
    Their ages were not known and Strohbusch declined to say if any of the victims are police officers, suspects or priests.
    "I don't know," Strohbusch said when asked if they are expecting any more victims.
    Sukhwindar Nagr, of Racine, says he called his brother-in-law's phone and a priest at the temple answered. Nagr says the priest told him that his brother-in-law had been shot, along with three priests.
    Nagr says the priest also said women and children were hiding in closets at the temple.
    Jatin Der Mangat, 38, of Racine, the nephew of the temple's president, Satwant Singh Kaleka, said his uncle was one of those shot, but he didn't know how serious his injuries were. He was among those waiting for news when police announced the deaths.
    "It was like the heart just sat down," he said. "This shouldn't happen anywhere."
    The Sikhism faith was founded in South Asia more than 500 years ago. It has roughly 27 million followers worldwide. Observant Sikhs do not cut their hair; male followers often cover their heads with turbans — which are considered sacred — and refrain from shaving their beards.
    There are roughly 500,000 Sikhs in the U.S., according to estimates. The majority worldwide live in India.
    CNN is reporting that the Indian embassy in Washington D.C. is sending people from its Chicago consulate to the temple.
    Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I liked what a Sikh man said on CNN: This is not a crime against Sikhs, this is crime against humanity.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Houses of Worship used to be sacred places were people could run to for safety.

This is disgusting.
    Laurent and Jadestone like this.

What is wrong with people? My heart goes out to all those affected, 7 lives senselessly cut short. How awful.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Elite Member

I am so sad to hear this. So sick of all the guns in the hands of fucking assholes in this country. And no refuge in a place of worship. god, what is wrong with people?
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Plus, if you've ever been in a Sikh temple, you'd know that they serve awesome food after the service and welcome anyone to come join them for it. Don't try to convert you or anything.
    McJag likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

That's what I was thinking too Twitch, this has totally wrecked a place of acceptance and friendship.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

So close in time to what happened in Colorado - what more can we say about this? It seems like it's all been said.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information