Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Utah Judge Orders Mother to Cut Her Daughter’s Ponytail as Punishment

Default Utah Judge Orders Mother to Cut Her Daughter’s Ponytail as Punishment

Remember when colonial Americans used to lead miscreants into the public square and put them in the stockades for a whole day, so they could be mocked and gawked at as an example of what happens when you transgress? Well, in Utah, the land that the Book of Mormon built, a judge recently ordered a totally vintage, eye-for-eye type punishment when he told the mother of a 13-year-old girl who'd cut a toddler's hair in a McDonald's to either hand her daughter over for an extra 150 hours of detention, or cut the girl's ponytail off.

According to — deep, calming breaths — Fox News, District Juvenile Judge Scott Johansen dreamed up a public haircutting as a way for Valerie Bruno to reduce her daughter Kaytlen Lopan's sentence by 150 hours. Lopan and an unnamed 11-year-old girl admitted to cutting a 3-year-old's hair in a McDonald's, so you can definitely see where Judge Johansen would think that the only thing that would set the universe back in order was if the shears were turned on the shearers (the 11-year-old was allowed to have her hair cut at a salon, which doesn't seem like a punishment so much as, you know, a haircut).

Bruno was understandably freaked out when Judge Johansen ordered her to cut her daughter's ponytail off in the courtroom, but said she felt intimidated under the severe glare of Old Testament justice. "I guess I should have gone [sic.] into the courtroom knowing my rights," Bruno said, "because I felt very intimidated. An eye for an eye, that's not how you teach kids right from wrong." No, it really isn't. It is, however, a great way to build resentment and create a never ending cycle of violent retribution, until, before you know it, Mercutio's dead and it's a damn shame because he's easily the most entertaining character in the whole play.

Judge Johansen also asked Mindy Moss, the mother of the recently shorn toddler, if her hair-lust had been satisfied (it wasn't), which also seems like the exact right way to carry out justice in ancient Babylon and the exact wrong way to do it in 21st century America.

Utah Judge Orders Mother to Cut Her Daughter
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Why and how did the 11 year old cut the stranger's 3 year old's hair? That is extremely weird. Was she just sitting at McDonalds and happened to have some scissors and saw the toddler? This story is very weird.....

PRICE, Utah – A Utah judge told the mother of a 13-year-old girl who chopped off a toddler's long hair in a restaurant that he would reduce her daughter's sentence if she cut off the teenager's own ponytail in court.

District Juvenile Judge Scott Johansen gave Valerie Bruno the option to either cut off her daughter Kaytlen Lopan's long hair "right now" with courtroom scissors or have the teen spend an extra 150 hours in detention as punishment for hacking off the locks of a 3-year-old girl she befriended in a McDonald's in Price.

Bruno opted for the haircut but later expressed her anger over the judgment and said that she had filed an official complaint against the judge.

"She definitely needed to be punished for what had happened," she told the Deseret News. "But I never dreamt it would be that much of a punishment."

Mindy Moss, the mother of the 3-year-old girl, supported the decision and even was asked by the judge if she was satisfied with the length Bruno initially cut off her daughter's blonde hair in court.

"No," Moss replied. "My daughter's hair that had never been cut, that was down to [the middle of her back], was cut up to here [her jaw]."

Johansen then ordered Bruno to "take it off clear up to the rubber band."

On the day of the attack, Kaytlen and an unnamed 11-year-old female friend spoke to the girl in McDonald's, then asked a server there if they could borrow a pair of scissors. When their request was refused, the youngsters went to a nearby dollar shop to buy a pair and returned to the restaurant to carry out the act.

At an earlier hearing, Johansen ordered the 11-year-old girl to have her hair cut as short as his but allowed the child to have the haircut in a salon.

Bruno added, "I guess I should have went into the courtroom knowing my rights because I felt very intimidated. An eye for an eye, that's not how you teach kids right from wrong."

Kaytlen also admitted to charges in another case rising from eight months of phone calls she made to a Colorado teen that included threats of rape and mutilation.

Read more: Judge orders Utah mom to chop off daughter
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

the kid sounds like a holy terror but that judge is a fucking idiot who doesn't know how to do his job.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

One judicial complaint coming right up.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Kaytlen also admitted to charges in another case rising from eight months of phone calls she made to a Colorado teen that included threats of rape and mutilation.
    Read more: Judge orders Utah mom to chop off daughter
    Judge is a dick - how is he going to deal with the phone threats?
    Free Charmed.

Wow. What the hell is wrong with that 11 year old?! I think the punishment isn't right, but that kid deserves to be punished and needs some serious counseling because something is really wrong with her.

That kid is a fucking pyschopath and will probably get worse the older she gets, but yeah, the judge is an idiot and should have put the girl on probation with the condition that she gets counseling. She will need it.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Judge is a dick - how is he going to deal with the phone threats?
    He'll volunteer to rape her?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    That kid is a fucking pyschopath and will probably get worse the older she gets, but yeah, the judge is an idiot and should have put the girl on probation with the condition that she gets counseling. She will need it.
    Yeah, the kid gives off sociopath vibes for sure.

Maybe Kaytlen is pissed off about having such a stupidly spelled name. I would be.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Wow. What the hell is wrong with that 11 year old?! I think the punishment isn't right, but that kid deserves to be punished and needs some serious counseling because something is really wrong with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    .... he told the mother of a 13-year-old girl who'd cut a toddler's hair in a McDonald's to either hand her daughter over for an extra 150 hours of detention, or cut the girl's ponytail off.

Lopan and an unnamed 11-year-old girl admitted to cutting a 3-year-old's hair in a McDonald's, so.....
    I think that you mean the 13 years old, as that is the child that made all the phone calls.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    He'll volunteer to rape her?
    Or ust marry her, since she's now of marriageable age?

Maybe the cutting of the hair was so that no other man would want her" so the judge could have her all to himself?
    Free Charmed.

The kid isn't a psycho. Actually many many kids have cut off someone's hair, though I will say its usually a sibling. To do it to a complete stranger is weird IMO. I'm unsure of the judge's decision, but if the mother agreed to it to avoid detention, i don't see the problem with it. She had a choice.

the 13yo making threatening phone calls is fucked up though.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

They met the kid at McDonalds? Who was watching the 3 year old? Meh, bring back shame! It's frickin' hair - it grows.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

The 11 year old has serious issues. But where was the mom of the 3 year old all this time? The older girls left to buy scissors and came back. I wonder if they asked the girl if she wanted her haircut and she said yes, not knowing better. The whole case is so odd and the judge is a joke.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information