Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LynnieD

Thread: Teen Sentenced to Year in Prison for Homicide Caused by Texting While Driving

Default Teen Sentenced to Year in Prison for Homicide Caused by Texting While Driving

A Massachusetts teenager, who fatally wounded a New Hampshire man after crashing into his car while texting, was convicted yesterday of motor vehicle homicide and sentenced to serve one year behind bars.

Aaron Deveau, seventeen at the time of the accident, is the first person to be punished under a new state law criminalizing harm caused through texting while driving, and was given the maximum sentence: Two years in prison.

He was also sentenced to two-and-a-half years for the homicide charge. District Court Judge Stephen Abany made the sentences concurrent and suspended all except for one year of prison time. The judge said he hoped the severity of Deveau's punishment would deter others from texting while driving.

Deveau was arrested last year and charged in connection with the crash that occurred on February 20th.

55-year-old father of three Daniel Bowley Jr. and his 59-year-old girlfriend Luz Roman were driving along River Street in Haverhill when a distracted Deveau crossed the center line and collided with their vehicle. Bowley sustained life-threatening injuries and died 18 days later.

"I made a mistake," Deveau said yesterday. "If I could take it back, I would take it back. I just want to apologize to the family."

He and his lawyer maintained that no texting was involved in the crash, but prosecutors argued that Deveau himself admitted to exchanging some 200 texts the day of the crash, and may have deleted the texts he wrote prior to the accident.

Teen Sentenced to Year in Prison for Motor Vehicle Homocide Caused by Texting While Driving
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

It's stupid to sentence someone for more time just to show off a new law. Give them a sentence that is right, there is no need to punish someone just for that, like, will other people that break the same law get the same exact sentence?

I'm sure he won't serve the full year, but I hope they crack down on this. I was rear ended by a guy who fully admitted to being on his phone checking his email. Luckily, he was insured and the only damage was to my car. Texting and driving can be as dangerous as drinking a few and getting behind the wheel.

One year for causing another person's death hardly seems like a deterrent. 6 months for good behaviour, right?

There's a few people I reckon would be worth spending 6-12 months in jail for accidentally shoving 'em off this mortal coil. Casey Anthony, where for art thou, Casey Anthony?
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Texting and driving is moronic. I'm surprised he didn't get longer, this sounds more like a British sentence!

Yea, I didnt think this was harsh enough.....
    McJag likes this.

if they don't start sentencing people for this shit what good was it to pass the damn laws?
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I thought this was going to be about that girl who was allegedly texting her BF that she was going to cause an accident to kill herself, and killed the people that were in the car she crashed into. She was also injured, and now claims not to remember texting or what happened ...

^ Saw that on TV recently.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I thought this was going to be about that girl who was allegedly texting her BF that she was going to cause an accident to kill herself, and killed the people that were in the car she crashed into. She was also injured, and now claims not to remember texting or what happened ...

Shit, something like that happened a few years back near here on Tonkin Hwy. Young driver turned off her headlights (at nights) and sped down the wrong side of the road, taking out a father and two young children with her. I understand being depressed, but FFS, aim for a tree.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    That's awful. You just reminded me of my friend's old roommate. She wanted to kill herself by driving into another car head on, but changed her mind last second and still crashed anyway into a concrete divider. She broke her back, had permanent injuries and constant pain, and also shattered her pelvis and did some damage to her reproductive area so she ended up not being able to have kids. She wasn't able to walk all that well after all that, she hobbled and couldn't sit long enough to drive without pain.

^^Well, this girl was apparently arguing with her boyfriend when she threatened to kill herself. IIRC, apparently witnesses saw her drive into oncoming traffic on purpose. Her parents deny she would be capable of doing such a thing, she now has no memory of the accident, but what irked me the most is that she doesn't seem to have any remorse or feel responsible at all.

And, there's a trail of text messages indicating she's threatening to kill herself because of the boyfriend - but now she says she was, you know, "just kidding".
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information