Thread: Mansion servant enslaved by uber-rich New York family for nearly six years

fgg

Default Mansion servant enslaved by uber-rich New York family for nearly six years

Mansion servant enslaved by uber-rich New York family for nearly six years

A wealthy New York woman is facing criminal charges after being accused of keeping an illegal immigrant as an indentured servant and forcing her to live in a closet for nearly six years.

Documents posted on the Smoking Gun allege that Annie George, 39, and her now-deceased husband, Mathai Kolath George, hired an illegal immigrant from the Indian state of Kerala. The immigrant, identified only as "V.M.," was promised about $1,000 a month in wages to live in the family's 34-room, 30,000-square-foot home, known as Llenroc mansion, which houses a helicopter pad, 15 fireplaces, marble flooring, 24-karat gold gilded ceilings and a glass elevator. V.M. was tasked with taking care of the Georges' four young children, along with performing household duties in the mansion located about 20 miles north of Albany.

New York's minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Even if V.M. had been allowed to leave the residence at the end of a regular 40-hour workweek, she would have been entitled to a minimum, pretax income of $290 per week, or $1,160 per month.

Instead, the "forced labor situation" (as described in the court papers) was even worse than the already-below minimum wage offer of $1,000 month. V.M. received 85 cents an hour, working 17-hour days, seven days a week, over the 67 months she was kept inside the George residence.

All told, V.M. received only about $29,000 over the five and a half years she was forced to work for the George family.

The Smoking Gun reports that immigration agents received a tip from the National Human Trafficking Resource Center last year and removed V.M. from the George's property. The U.S. Department of Labor conducted its own investigation and says V.M. is entitled to $206,000 in back wages. She was also allegedly denied health benefits, sick days or any personal time off from her labors.

Annie George, whose husband died in a plane crash in 2009, reportedly called V.M.'s son three times, suggesting he "tell his mother to tell authorities that she was a relative of George's family and was only staying at George's house as a guest." However, V.M.'s son recorded the calls, which included a plea from Annie George, "If she says anything about working, it would become a big crime. They'll start adding up all the taxes and everything, for all the time."

According to the Smoking Gun documents, the George estate had been put up for sale for a reported $30 million.

Annie George appeared in court on Wednesday before a federal magistrate, facing charges of encouraging and inducing an illegal alien to reside in the U.S.

Mansion servant enslaved by uber-rich New York family for nearly six years | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Sadly, this isn't as uncommon as we think. We have a few cases in NY of immigrants being held in slavery, usually by people who've emigrated from the same place and done well here in the states. They go back and bring them over to work as 'servants'.

They get here, and they don't know anyone, and have no one to help them. It's terrible.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I read this on yahoo & all I could think was "what a stingy, greedy bitch!"

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Sadly, this isn't as uncommon as we think. We have a few cases in NY of immigrants being held in slavery, usually by people who've emigrated from the same place and done well here in the states. They go back and bring them over to work as 'servants'.

They get here, and they don't know anyone, and have no one to help them. It's terrible.

And that's another thing I really can't understand is how they can do it to other ppl that are from their home country. You'd think they'd kinda be more protective of them, but they exploit them worse than anyone else. It's weird.

Disgusting. I hope she gets awarded millions.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Ye olde, "If you complain about your working conditions, I'll have you deported."

How do these people sleep at night?
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I think this is way more common then one might think but terrible all the same.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

Its the same in London too, except the employers were not always from other countries.
    Free Charmed.

I just can't understand people. No one with a conscience would be capable of doing this, right? So what is this bitch - a sociopath?
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

They probably long ago convinced themselves that they were wise benefactors, who took a poor brown person away from poverty in their home country. I can hear the comments now: "She was part of our FAMILY, how many other Indian women like her get to move to America and live in a MANSION? We fed her and housed her for free and treated her so wonderfully, she should've been paying us!" Trust me, that's the type of bullshit a lot of people use to shit on the help.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

When I saw this story I recognized the house. It's about 2 miles from my sisters house. We would drive by and comment on how beautiful it was. I remembered when her husband and sons plane crashed and how badly I felt for her. I hope she rots. I see her pic trying to look all sympathetic. The should sentence her to cleaning the whole house and give it to the maid

Thread Information