Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles teacher charged with molesting 23 kids

Default Los Angeles teacher charged with molesting 23 kids

Los Angeles teacher charged with molesting 23 kids

LOS ANGELES (AP) -January 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Los Angeles elementary school teacher bound and gagged nearly two dozen children, put cockroaches on some of their faces and posed in photos with them, possibly inside a classroom, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said Tuesday.

The investigation began when a film processor gave authorities some 40 photographs depicting blindfolded children in a classroom with their mouths taped shut.

A sheriff's department statement said Mark Berndt, 61, was arrested Monday at his Torrance home and remained jailed Tuesday on $2.3 million bail.

The district attorney's office said Berndt has been charged with committing lewd acts with 23 boys and girls ages 7 to 10 between 2008 and 2010.

Berndt worked for more than 30 years at Miramonte Elementary School in an unincorporated area of south Los Angeles before being fired.

Some of the photos showed Berndt with his arm around the children or with his hand over their mouths.

Other pictures depicted girls with what appears to be a spoon up to their mouths as if they were going to ingest a clear-white liquid. A blue plastic spoon and container found in trash in Berndt's classroom tested positive for semen, the statement said.

Some of the children's mouths and faces had large, live Madagascar-type cockroaches on them, according to the statement.

"It makes you sick to your stomach," Los Angeles Unified School District Superintendent John Deasy told KTTV Fox 11 News, which first reported the arrest.

The teacher was immediately removed when police informed the district and was fired, Deasy said.

No student ever came forward to report the abuse, he said.

More than 80 current and former students and school employees were interviewed for the investigation.

The sheriff's department said a search warrant served on Berndt's home led to the discovery of more than 100 similar photographs depicting children.

A DVD depicting adult sexual bondage activity "which mirrored the bondage-type photos of the children" was also found during the search, the department said, noting that the adults in that video were not identified and those images are not a crime.

The department said about 10 children seen in photos have not been identified.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

For fucks sake. Are pedos getting insanely more violent or what?
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Someone needs to kill this motherfucker.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

With some of the shit I see at work, I can't believe that I'm sitting here shocked. JFC, what the fuck is wrong with some people. Cockroaches on their faces, spoon fed semen, my gawd I'm horrified.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I think the story is just going to get bigger and bigger. Apparently, this guy taught for years and had hundreds of kids through his classroom.

And not one of the kids complained. He was found out because of the roll of film he tried to develop.

Apparently, the kids didn't complain because he made it seem like "a game".

I have no sympathy for him but you wonder what century he really lives in where roll film is his undoing?
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

What the everloving fuck with this shit? Kill it with fire. Now.

I'm stunned that not one child complained. It had to have frightened at least one, game or not. Or you'd think some child would have talked about the "game" at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Quotes View Post
    For fucks sake. Are pedos getting insanely more violent or what?
    no.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    What the everloving fuck with this shit? Kill it with fire. Now.

I'm stunned that not one child complained. It had to have frightened at least one, game or not. Or you'd think some child would have talked about the "game" at home.
    It's so bizarre that I thought it was a hoax story until I looked it up. It seems like he teaches in an area of LA where there is a lot of apathy and very little supervision of teachers.

And it gets worse:
    None of the photos showed the students actually eating the semen, but Marquez said the children reported they didnít like the taste.
    Authorities are recommending the children be tested for sexually transmitted diseases.

I hope one of the parents kills this asshole.

No student ever came forward to report the abuse...you'd think some child would have talked about the "game" at home.
    This is like my biggest fear...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

What game did he tell them it was, Fear Factor? Freaking cockroaches, for real? I would have screamed my head off and ran out of the classroom at any age.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I am both HOMICIDALLY PISSED OFF and gagging at spoon thing. Tati's right, it isn't without precedent for children to not talk about it. I sincerely hope this prick ends up dying from internal bleeding after being the centre of a prison gang bang!

BTW, is multiquotes not working for anyone else on this thread? Possibly I'm too angry and caffiene deprived to remember how to do it.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It seems like he teaches in an area of LA where there is a lot of apathy and very little supervision of teachers.
    Rather than apathy I've found that it is more of "obey your teacher, be good, don't make a problem" when I tutored ESL students. One time I gave a report to a parent that included a student's slight misbehavior (he was putting in words that weren't there when read out loud). In our next session, I learned that he had been punished severely and the punishment did not fit the misbehavior. Although he wasn't beaten he had a special activity taken away that he had discussed with me and had been looking forward to. I can't tell you how badly I felt. Had I known how it would be handled, there was another approach I could have taken.

In these homes, I was a queen because I was a teacher.

And Mothers and other adult family members walk their children to and from school. They are active in the classroom and PTA. One of the schools in my neighborhood had to make a rule that parents had to say when they were staying for lunch because so many did so the cafeteria ran out of food several times.

These schools were/are in all types of economic environments. I tutored in Wilmington, Ca where 27.8% of the population is below poverty level.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by eboni View Post
    And Mothers and other adult family members walk their children to and from school. They are active in the classroom and PTA. One of the schools in my neighborhood had to make a rule that parents had to say when they were staying for lunch because so many did so the cafeteria ran out of food several times.
    Eboni, are you saying that you think it is less likely to happen in the environment you worked in? Or just as likely? I wasn't sure.

My kids are the same age as the kids in this story. Almost all classrooms have an additional teacher, usually a student teacher, and there are parent volunteers filtering in and out of the classrooms. Not being pollyanish, but it is difficult for me to see how someone could pull off something like this in that kind of environment.

ETA: I can definitely see an absolutist "obey your teacher" teacher attitude from the parents helping to perpetuate this, but there were so many kids, and so many opportunities for other staff members or students to see what was being done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information