Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ayla Reynolds - 20-month-old toddler kidnapped from home

Default Ayla Reynolds - 20-month-old toddler kidnapped from home

So many toddler-missing/abducted-from-their beds or cars stories that I can hardly keep track. To me, in this story, it seems like the police are sending mixed signals. The girl had a broken arm from a fall at home (sounds suspicious), a mom who had temporarily lost custody of the daughter because she had to go into 10-day rehab. Are the police suspicious of the dad at all?

Ayla Reynolds, Missing Toddler, Was Kidnapped: Police

WATERVILLE, Maine -- A 20-month-old girl who vanished a week before Christmas after being put to bed in her father's home was taken away and didn't walk out on her own, investigators said Monday as they announced the largest reward ever offered in the state to help find a missing person.
    It marked the first time since the search for Ayla Reynolds began that police have directly said they don't believe she left the house by herself.
    "At this point in the investigation ... we are confident that Ayla did not walk out of the house by herself," Waterville police Chief Joseph Massey said at a news conference at which he announced a $30,000 reward was being offered for help finding her. "We believe that someone was involved in taking her out of the house, and that's where the focus of this investigation has turned."
    The reward, gathered with donations from residents and businesses in the Waterville area, is the biggest ever offered in Maine for a missing person, state Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said.
    Massey said the developments in a mystery that's been featured on national television programs have not shifted the matter from a missing-person case to a criminal investigation. Despite the passing of the Christmas holiday with no sign of Ayla, police remain committed to finding her, the chief said.
    "The intensity of the investigation is as high today as it was the first day," he said. "We continue to employ every single resource we have."
    Massey was joined at the news conference by Waterville attorney John Nale, who appealed for the safe return of Ayla.
    "I ask and I plead with the person or persons who have Ayla Reynolds that they please keep her safe and return her safely to us," Nale said.
    Hundreds of police officers, game wardens and local residents have been searching for Ayla since she was reported missing by her father, Justin DiPietro, on the morning of Dec. 17. Massey said a report about the case on the Fox network television program "America's Most Wanted" during the weekend generated some leads, which are being checked by police.
    DiPietro told investigators he last saw Ayla when he put her to bed the night before at his home in Waterville, a city of 16,000 residents about 20 miles north of the state capital, Augusta. He said she was wearing polka dot pajamas with the words "Daddy's Princess" on them and had a cast on her broken left arm.
    Ayla ended up with her father after child welfare workers intervened while her mother, Trista Reynolds, checked herself into a 10-day rehabilitation program.
    Reynolds, who completed the rehab, had filed court papers that she said she hoped would lead to the return of her daughter. The filing came the day before Ayla was last seen.
    DiPietro has said he has "no idea what happened to Ayla or who is responsible." He said last week his family and friends would do "everything we can to assist in this investigation and get Ayla back home."

Jesus, it's a fucking epidemic.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

No it isn't.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

a story as old as time.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

there was a little girl here (Danielle Van Dam)that was kidnapped, and murdered etc. She was close to my daughters age. Taken from her house. For at least a year after that, i had my daughter sleep in our room. People that do this shit to kids are assholes.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

fgg

definitely the dad or one of the other 20 people in the house at the time. i think the broken arm was probably abuse rather than an accident.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Jesus, it's a fucking epidemic.
    There definitely seems to have been a big spike in weird cases where someone has disappeared and the last person who has seen them has a weird and/or unlikely story about them being abducted by strangers. Recent examples:

1. Ayla Reynolds - 20-month old supposedly abducted Dec. 17 from home by a stranger -- according to the dad. Still unaccounted for.

2. Aliahna Lemmon - 8-year-old supposedly abducted Dec. 24 from home of babysitter by a stranger - according to babysitter. Babysitter confessed later to murdering her.

3. Lisa Irwin - 13-month-old supposedly abducted Oct. 3 from her home by a stranger - according to the mother and father. Still unaccounted for.

4. Sky Metawala - 2-year-old supposedly abducted Nov. 6 from car by a stranger - according to the mother. Still unaccounted for.

Those are weird/unlikely abductions in just the last two months. It's not an epidemic, but about a year ago, it seemed like the only national missing child story was the Caylee Anthony story.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    there was a little girl here (Danielle Van Dam)that was kidnapped, and murdered etc. She was close to my daughters age. Taken from her house. For at least a year after that, i had my daughter sleep in our room. People that do this shit to kids are assholes.
    Oh my god, I remember that. It was a neighbor, right? And they blamed the parents lifestyle for putting their kids at risk.

Stuff like this has always happened. It just gets more press now.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Exactly. News that would have been confined to an area can now be accessed from anywhere and, the more sensational details in the story, the more likely it is to be picked up nationally or internationally. It is definitely not a big spike.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I can't remember an instance where three of these nationally televised cases have been going on at the same time. That's what mean by a spike. It doesn't mean the relative risk for a stranger abduction of a child has gone up, though.

I have a bad feeling about this one. I wonder about the broken arm. I don't like the whole thing. I have know a whole lot of toddlers over my lifetime and none ever had a broken bone. I know there must be some, but I'd say it was pretty rare.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Casey Anthony got off and lots of bad mommies and daddies suddenly had an idea.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

bullshit. There were parents who kill before that and there will be parents who kill long after she is forgotten.

-- Stephen Hawking

Definitely lots of parents who have killed before. Since Anthony, though, there have been four nationally prominent cases where parents or guardians have claimed either an abduction or that the child has just gone missing. Which is similar to the Casey Anthony template - an unlikely story, followed by indefinite stalling. By the time a body is found you have dry bones and no ability to tie the guardian to a crime.

Also, forgot to mention Kyron Horman, who disappeared in 2010, and whose guardian at the time has behaved suspicously.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; December 31st, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information