Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wis. couple accused of starving infant daughter due to obesity fears

fgg

Default Wis. couple accused of starving infant daughter due to obesity fears

Wis. couple accused of starving infant daughter

MADISON, Wis. (AP) A Wisconsin couple who were worried that their infant daughter would become obese starved her for months, causing the girl to gain just 5 pounds in the 14 months after her birth, prosecutors allege.

Christopher and Mary Sultze, of Appleton, were each charged this month with a felony count of child neglect, and each faces up to a year in prison and a $25,000 fine if convicted.

Christopher Sultze, 35, appeared in Outagamie County Circuit Court on Thursday and was released from jail on bond on the condition that, among other things, he'd have no contact with the child. His preliminary hearing was rescheduled for next week.

Mary Sultze, 36, waived her right to a preliminary hearing Wednesday in exchange for her release on bond so that she could tend to her other three children, said her attorney, Brandt Swardenski. She, too, was ordered to have no contact with the daughter she's accused of starving.

Neither has entered a plea.

"I have serious reservations about whether there's any criminal activity here or just misguided parenting intentions," Swardenski said. "This is a case where we need to reserve judgment until we learn more details on exactly what occurred."

Christopher Sultze's attorney, Michael Petersen, declined to comment.

According to the criminal complaint, the couple's daughter weighed slightly more than 8 pounds when she was born in July 2010 and weighed just 13 pounds this past September. A doctor told police the girl would have to weigh 22 pounds to even appear on the growth charts for her age. Another physician noted that the child had no subcutaneous fat on her body and was essentially starving.

Doctors began tracking the girl's lack of growth and weight gain at her four-month checkup in November 2010, when she weighed just 7 pounds, 9 ounces.

Her parents began to grow irritated that doctors were continually concerned about her weight, the complaint said. They insisted they were feeding her enough, and said their other children grew slowly and that they believed the girl would eventually gain weight.

Months went by with no significant improvement and tests for potential medical problems came back negative. In August, the family's doctor convinced the Sultzes to admit the girl to Children's Hospital of Fox Valley for an evaluation, investigators said.

The girl gained 8 ounces over a day at the hospital, but a social worker assigned to the family as part of the admittance process noted that the girl's parents were upset by recommendations that they needed to feed her more calories and said they wanted to take their daughter home, against the advice of her doctors.

According to the complaint, Christopher Sultze told a doctor he didn't want to have obese children and he kept insisting the girl would "get fat" at the hospital.

He later told police and another social worker that his family follows a very low cholesterol diet. He said he underwent bypass surgery for a blocked artery when he was 25 years old.

Court records show that Mary Sultze was charged in 2009 with misdemeanor battery and disorderly conduct for biting her four-year-old daughter on the arm. According to the criminal complaint in that case, she told police she bit her daughter to teach her a lesson after the girl bit her older sister. Mary Sultze acknowledged that "it probably wasn't right to do."

She ultimately pleaded no contest to the disorderly conduct charge, which is not an admission of guilt but is treated as such for sentencing purposes. Prosecutors dismissed the battery count.

Appleton, a city of about 70,000, is 125 miles northeast of Madison.

Wis. couple accused of starving infant daughter - Yahoo! News
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Fucking arseholes.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

What psychos. I think we ought to admnister IQ tests before allowing people to breed.

This couple sounds dumb, not malicious. Not saying they should get that baby back, or that they should keep the children they have at home, but all of this sounds like ignorance coupled with a low IQ.

That poor baby. I wonder if she will be delayed by all of this. I don't see how she wouldn't be
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

thought the visual was worth seeing.

This combo made from photos provided by the Outagamie County Sheriffs Dept shows Christopher Sultze, 35, left and Mary Sultze, 36, of Appleton, Wis. The couple was released from jail on bond this week after they were each charged with a felony count of child neglect. Prosecutors allege the couple starved their infant daughter for months because they were worried she would become obese. (AP Photo/Outagamie County Sheriffs Dept)
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    That poor baby. I wonder if she will be delayed by all of this. I don't see how she wouldn't be
    I wonder the same.

I don't think it can be attributed to "dumbness" on the parents' part; they're aware of diet and how its effects. There is something else going on here. That kid would probably end up living in a dog crate eventually. These people are nuts. You don't put infants on a diet. If it were their only child maybe ignorance would make sense but they have other children. They're fucking psychotic assholes.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

They are both an enchilada short of a combination plate.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Sooooo, which one's the guy again?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

^ Was thinking the same. Why didn't the one (not sure she is a woman) with the glasses go on a diet instead?

fuckin nuts, but i have to say i think it is almost as bad for parents to feed crap to their kids to make them really fat and unhealthy. but then again there seems to be something else fishy here too, and i agree that mom dude should cut down her eating rather than that baby's.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

fgg

mom dude. LOL.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Infants and toddlers are supposed to have a higher percentage of body fat. But a lot of people are dumbasses about this. I know a mom right now whose small kid has been consistently underweight since birth because of this thinking...that's she's preventing him from being fat later on (despite concerns raised by all 3 fucking pediatricians this kid has had). You're actually stunting development. And probably increasing the chances they'll be fat adults.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

It is true that not all children meet the standard guidelines or grow the same way, but in general you feed them about the same and THEY balance their bodies. As long as you don't overfeed them, their bodyweight/growth is internally regulated.

My two were both HUGE newborns, large infants, and then tiny toddlers. Our doctor in New Zealand was much more concerned about our oldest son's weight drop off than the one here in the US with our younger son, who explained some children just gain a lot of weight as infants and then kind of stretch, lol. Both followed the same growth pattern, even though the doctor in New Zealand had us supplementing older kiddo's diet with the equivalent of toddler protein shakes.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

That poor baby!! I would what the other kids look like and how they were treated.

I'm going to bet all my internetz that she will be developmentally delayed.

The one thing that I was told with all three kids, and read every where was that babies and toddlers need essential fat for their brains. Give them whole milk instead of 2%, give the formula with DHA...

The most rapid brain growth occurs during the first year of life, with the infant's brain tripling in size by the first birthday. During this stage of rapid central nervous system growth, the brain uses sixty percent of the total energy consumed by the infant. Fats are a major component of the brain cell membrane and the myelin sheath around each nerve. So, it makes sense that getting enough fat, and the right kinds of fat, can greatly affect brain development and performance. In fact, during the first year, around fifty percent of an infant's daily calories come from fat. Mother Nature knows how important fat is for babies; fifty percent of the calories in mother's milk is fat.
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

^Yep. That was my first thought, kid is totally going to have developmental issues. I mean, no subcutaneous fat, doctor said she was essentially starving? I don't see how it can't interfere with brain development.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information