Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tewksbury Man claims to have cracked Zodiac Killer's code

Default Tewksbury Man claims to have cracked Zodiac Killer's code

Meet the man who claims he has CRACKED the code of the Zodiac Killer (and his identity)

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 8:18 PM on 22nd July 2011

A Massachusetts man says he has solved something that has boggled authorities for 40 years - the writings of a notorious murderer.

Known as the Zodiac Killer, the unknown subject killed at least seven people and terrorized California’s Bay Area in the late 60s.

The high-profile crimes were made more mysterious by the cryptic writings the killer sent to local newspapers.

Solved: The 340-character note from the infamous Zodiac Killer (left) was unsolved for more than 40 years - until Corey Starliper (right) claimed he got it

Now, Corey Starliper, of Tewksbury, says he has solved those writings.

Mr Starliper, 27, who admits he's ‘extraordinarily consumed’ in the case, spent nine hours working on the code.
    He told Patch.com: 'I found it exciting, that I was actually able to get into his head when nobody had for over 40 years.'

Killer's writing? Corey Starliper displays what he says is the accurate solution to the Zodiac Killer's code

The first cipher, which appeared three parts sent to three newspapers in August of 1969, contained 408 characters.

On the big screen: Corey Starliper says he was 'consumed' by the Zodiac case after watching the 2007 film

It took just a few days for a history teacher and his wife to solve it.

Mr Starliper said: ‘The first code was cracked by amateurs. So they figure that any communication after that would be able to be cracked by amateurs.'

So he began to work on the most famous - and unsolved - code, a 340-character cipher mailed to the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper on Nov. 8, 1969.

'The first one was cracked by a history teacher and his wife,' said Starliper.
    'What I’m driving at was the first code was cracked by amateurs. So they figure that any communication after that would be able to be cracked by amateurs.'

Starliper’s interest in the infamous killer was sparked by Zodiac, the movie about the murders.

The 2007 film starred Jake Gyllenhaal, Marc Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr.
    It was based on the writings of Robert Graysmith, who scribed two books about the case.

Tracking a killer: Jake Gyllenhaal starred in 1997's Zodiac as Robert Graysmith, who wrote the book that the film was based on

When all was said and done, Mr Starliper came up with the following:

KILL/SLF/DR/HELP/ME/KILL/MYSELF/GAS/CHAMBER/AEIOUR/DAYS/QUESTIONSABLE/EVERYY/WAKING/MOMENT/IM/ALIVE/MY/PRIDE/LOST/I/CANT/GO/ON/LIVING/IN/THIS/WAY/KILLING/PEOPLE/I/HAV/KILLD/SO/MANY/PEOPLE/CANT/HELP/MYSELF/IM/SO/ANGRY/I/COULD/DO/MY/THING/IM/ALONE/IN/THIS/WORLD/MY/WHOLE/LIFE/FUL/O/LIES/IM/UNABLE/TO/STOP/BY/THE/TIME/YOU/SOLVE/THIS/I/WILL/HAV/KILLD/ELEVEN/PEOPLE/PLEASE/HELP/ME/STOP/KILLING/PEOPLE/PLEASE/MY/NAME/IS/LEIGH/ALLEN/

Prime suspect: Arthur Leigh Allen was the only person named in connection to the Zodiac Killer investigation, but he was never charged

Mr Starliper said the name 'Leigh Allen' refers to Arthur Leigh Allen, who was listed as the prime suspect at one point, but never arrested.

But a handwriting expert determined the scrawls of the killer were not the same as Allen’s, who also passed a lie detector test.

Despite that evidence, Robert Graysmith maintained in his writings that Allen was indeed the killer, and Mr Starliper agrees.

He said: 'Leigh Allen, in that situation, was forcing his handwriting to look different from the way that he normally wrote.'

Mr Allen died in 1992 at the age of 58.

After completing his work, Mr Starliper tried to reach out to Bay Area authorities to report his findings, but it wasn't well-received.

After little success contacting Solano, Vallejo, and Napa counties, he tried the San Francisco Cold Case and Special Investigative Units.
    But he got no response.

Disappointed, he said: 'It’s disheartening to know that the authorities have basically shut the door on it.'
    Free Charmed.

Wow! Good work!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Very cool. Shame diabeties got the fucker, and not the chair.

I wonder why he stopped killing if it was such a compulsion?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^ He knew Graysmith was creeping his every move, I mean none of the police dept really bought the fact it was Allen apart from Robert Graysmith - who became obsessed enough to write a book about it.

I find the case so fascinating and the fact Leigh Allen was so monumentally messed up, riveting. Like he found the deliberate misspellings of words hilarious - that alone just makes me think he was crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post

Mr Starliper said the name 'Leigh Allen' refers to Arthur Leigh Allen, who was listed as the prime suspect at one point, but never arrested.

But a handwriting expert determined the scrawls of the killer were not the same as Allen’s, who also passed a lie detector test.

Despite that evidence, Robert Graysmith maintained in his writings that Allen was indeed the killer, and Mr Starliper agrees.

He said: 'Leigh Allen, in that situation, was forcing his handwriting to look different from the way that he normally wrote.'

Mr Allen died in 1992 at the age of 58.

After completing his work, Mr Starliper tried to reach out to Bay Area authorities to report his findings, but it wasn't well-received.

After little success contacting Solano, Vallejo, and Napa counties, he tried the San Francisco Cold Case and Special Investigative Units.
    But he got no response.

Disappointed, he said: 'It’s disheartening to know that the authorities have basically shut the door on it.'
    The highlighted part kind of gives me pause. Regardless, I remember when they released the coded message just so that people with fresh eyes could try to break it .... and now they don't care what the result was? Something is a little fishy. Clearly, the killer is dead or in jail because serial killers like that can't just stop ... it would keep going on an on until he was caught.

Interesting story. I'm obsessed with the criminal mind. I read so many serial killer books and spend so much time on wiki on serial killer pages that I fear if anything happened to my husband, I'd get convicted just on my obsession.

Of course, if this was on CSI, it would not be Mr. Allen who did it. It would be some jilted secretary who worked in his offce trying to frame him.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Of course, if this was on CSI, it would not be Mr. Allen who did it. It would be some jilted secretary who worked in his offce trying to frame him.
    and if this was house, it would be his dog that had like...toxic tropical mold spores on it or something.

Allen was also eliminated via DNA and fingerprints, which Mr. Starliper appears to have forgotten....basically, he's full of shit.

I WISH Art Allen was the Z. He was a fascinatingly creepy, very smart individual with a twisted sense of humor.

The people at this site know about everything there is to know about the Zodiac case, and they agree that this is not the real deal:

Zodiackillercom :: View topic - Another Person Says They've Solved the 340

Many, many people have claimed to have solved the so-called 340 code, including, if I recall rightly, Graysmith himself. The two civilians who solved another of Zodiac's "unsolvable" codes, Donald and the late Bettye Harden of Salinas, CA, were remarkable individuals. I've met their daughter; the case haunts her as it does so many people. Bettye became obsessed with solving the 340 and I think it drove the poor lady mad. I doubt anybody will ever solve it.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

fgg

I was very suspect when the article said he was 'all consumed' and he cracked it in 9 hrs.
    Posted from my iPhone
    Last edited by fgg; July 24th, 2011 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    The highlighted part kind of gives me pause. Regardless, I remember when they released the coded message just so that people with fresh eyes could try to break it .... and now they don't care what the result was? Something is a little fishy. Clearly, the killer is dead or in jail because serial killers like that can't just stop ... it would keep going on an on until he was caught.

Interesting story. I'm obsessed with the criminal mind. I read so many serial killer books and spend so much time on wiki on serial killer pages that I fear if anything happened to my husband, I'd get convicted just on my obsession.
    Or moved to another part of the country?
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    I was very suspect when the article said he was 'all consumed' and he cracked it in 9 hrs.
    Posted from my iPhone
    Half the time it takes me nine hours to do a crossword puzzle so I kind of knew this guy was full of shit.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Or moved to another part of the country?
    Absolutely possible.

Impressed he's from Tewksbury( pronounced 'tooksberry' ). Not much else there!

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    Posted from my iPhone

Not to mention that I just find it HARD to believe that of all the things the killer could have said in this coded message - it's his name? Why?

Just on the off chance someone would crack it? Or would it make more sense to provide the name of a victim or someone the killer wants to frame?
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information