Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Smart, Network Pundit?

Default Elizabeth Smart, Network Pundit?

Amid the Casey Anthony frenzy, ABC News is close to unveiling its latest contributor. Howard Kurtz reports exclusively on the kidnap victim’s new career.

Elizabeth Smart first came into our consciousness nearly a decade ago as a 14-year-old girl kidnapped from her Salt Lake City bedroom. She was found alive nine months later, some 18 miles from her home, and the man and woman who seized her were ultimately convicted.

Now The Daily Beast has learned that Smart is about to start a new job at ... ABC News.

Does that strike anyone as odd?

Other than fame—as the victim of a horrifying crime—what exactly are her qualifications?

The network will announce shortly that Smart will be a contributor to Good Morning America and could also appear on such programs as Nightline. With the Casey Anthony story still going strong, she could be on the air next week.

So was this a way for ABC to land exclusive interviews by putting her on the payroll?

“This is definitely not about looking backward and telling her story, which has been well told and retold,” ABC spokeswoman Julie Townsend said after I contacted the network. Instead, she said, Smart’s role will be “helping viewers understand missing-persons stories from the perspective of knowing what a family experiences when a loved one goes missing.”

Townsend said Smart will appear “when there are missing children or missing-person cases in the news.”

But this doesn’t feel like a news outlet hiring an ex-athlete, former prosecutor, or out-of-work politician as a commentator who had made a mark in the field. Smart was herself a missing child, one whose disappearance sparked one of the original cable-television frenzies.

ABC says Smart’s hiring is not related to the Anthony murder trial. “This has been in the works for months,” said Townsend, adding that Smart was unavailable for an interview.

It is true that Smart has talked about her ordeal numerous times. She was first interviewed for a Dateline special back in 2003 by then–NBC correspondent Katie Couric. NBC won the rights through an agreement with the publisher of Smart's parents’ book. CBS tried to preempt the move, The New York Times noted at the time, with a program called Elizabeth Smart: America’s Girl. And Good Morning America carried excerpts of an Oprah interview and an “exclusive tour” of the Smart home.

Now ABC’s morning show will have Elizabeth Smart to itself, and viewers can judge her contributions as an undeniable expert on the subject she will be covering.

Elizabeth Smart to Join 'Good Morning America,' ABC News - The Daily Beast
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

ugh. Tacky.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

She did go to college, didn't she? I didn't know that she majored in journalism.

i'm surprised it's abc and not fox though.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Actually, I am totally ok with this. Is it tacky? Yes, absolutely, but homefry needs to make some money and use, as best she can, the awful circumstances of her life to get ahead...tacky, yes...would I do it, yes.

Actually wondered what took so long for something like this to happen.

Why shouldn't she?

From Wikipedia:

On March 8, 2006, Smart went to Congress to support Sexual Predator Legislation and the AMBER Alert system, and on July 26, 2006, she spoke after the signing of the Adam Walsh Act.
    Smart attended Brigham Young University (BYU), studying music as a harp performance major. In May 2008, she traveled to Washington, D.C., where she helped present a book, You're Not Alone, published by the U.S. Department of Justice, which has entries written by her as well as four other recovered young adults.[8][9][10]
    In 2009, Smart commented on the kidnapping of Jaycee Lee Dugard, stressing that dwelling upon the past is unproductive.[11] On October 27, 2009 Elizabeth spoke at the 2009 Women's Conference in California hosted by Maria Shriver, on overcoming obstacles in life.[12]
    On November 11, 2009, Smart left to go on her Mormon misson in Paris.[13][14]
    Smart returned temporarily from her mission in November of 2010 to serve as the chief witness in the federal trial of Brian David Mitchell. After the end of the trial she returned to France to finish her mission. She finished her mission and returned to Utah in the spring of 2011.[15]
    Smart has been studying music at BYU. She is considering applying to law school.[16]
    Smart was one of four women awarded the Diane-von Furstenberg Award in March 2011.[17] The award included a $50,000 prize which Elizabeth Smart will use to start a foundation aimed at helping young people avoid or recover from violent events.
    On July 7, 2011 it was announced that she would be a commentator for ABC News, mainly focusing on missing persons.
    She's educated and can provide a pantload of insight into these kinds of cases. Girl's gotta earn a living.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

But she's a Mormon right?
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Actually wondered what took so long for something like this to happen.
    Yeah it's not surprising. It seems like people who are associated with some tragedy can make careers out of it like Beth Holloway or Mark Klass. Maybe she will be able to contribute something valuable through her experience. I saw Beth Holloway talking about the Casey Anthony trial. I didn't think she was articulate or knowledgeable at all. Maybe Elizabeth will be different.

I want to milk my own tragedy.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    She's educated
    in music.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I'm glad that I live in a world where playing the harp proficiently means that you can provide commentary on important issues.

middle of interview

HARP SOLO!!!!!

-- Stephen Hawking

Elite Member

I see nothing wrong with it unless every segment she talks alllll about her ordeal. She knows shes always going to be that girl who was kidnapped and is making it work for her.

Last time I saw Elizabeth, she was telling Nancy Grace to stfu (though not in so many words- I wish!), and although I liked the way she handled that insufferable bitch, she was severely inarticulate. It's been a few years; hopefully she has improved since then or it will be rather painful to listen to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information