Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy Who Died Locked in a Cage Wrote About Wanting His Family to Like Him

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default Boy Who Died Locked in a Cage Wrote About Wanting His Family to Like Him

Christian Choate: Boy Who Died Locked in Cage Wrote About Wanting his Family to Like Him - ktla.com

I just balled my eyes out; there is no justice in this world, I'm really at a loss

Christian Choate, 13
    Chicago Tribune

5:20 a.m. PDT, June 29, 2011
    GARY, Indiana -- By the time 13-year-old Christian Choate was allegedly beaten to death and buried in a shallow grave in a Gary, Ind., trailer park in 2009, his family had been getting semiregular visits from child welfare authorities for more than 10 years.

The Indiana Department of Child Services' inch-thick case file on the Choate family details more than a dozen investigations of allegations of abuse or neglect dating to 1999. In 2009, Indiana prosecutors say, Christian died after years of abuse, finally succumbing to head injuries caused by blows from his father and older sister.

Christian's father, Riley Choate, and stepmother, Kimberly Kubina, were charged with murder in May after the older sister, now 17, told authorities about the boy's death.

Reports released by juvenile court officials Friday provide a portrait of the boy's short, terrifying life — and of missed opportunities to stop the alleged abuse.

Less than a year before he died, DCS records state an investigator interviewed the boy, his parents and siblings in response to a neighbor reporting Christian was kept under "house arrest."

Prosecutors allege Christian endured beatings daily and was kept locked in a 3-foot-high dog cage, where he had little to eat and often soiled himself. The DCS report, dated June 2008, says there was no evidence of neglect.

"We followed all state laws all policies and procedures, and we'll continue assessing this fatality," DCS spokeswoman Anne Houseworth said Friday.

The abuse in Christian's case was exceptional, Houseworth said Friday, but DCS staff did follow agency protocols and performed a thorough investigation of the allegations.

"If we don't see evidence of abuse, and no one admits anything is going on, there is nothing for us to do," Houseworth said.

Also included in the reports are medical records that show Christian made numerous visits to a pediatrician from 2007 to 2008. Notes on the report show his weight dropping consistently, and he told his doctor he was "hit with the door in his bedroom" two days before a February 2007 visit.

A month later, handwritten notes from the doctor state Christian complained of being "very angry all the time."

A March 2008 note reads, "He's locked up at night."

The doctor did not report any abuse to authorities, Houseworth said.

School officials lost track of the boy in 2007, after Kubina informed district officials the boy would be home-schooled. DCS investigators reviewed some of Christian's "assignments" from Kubina, and it appears the boy took the opportunity to express his thoughts and feelings at the time.

"Christian's writings detail a very sad, depressed child who often wondered when someone, anyone, was going to come check on him," the report states. "(He) wrote of why nobody liked him and how he just wanted to be liked by his family ... how isolated and sad Christian was on a daily basis."
    RIP

"If we don't see evidence of abuse, and no one admits anything is going on, there is nothing for us to do," Houseworth said.

Perhaps look harder, considering the sheer amount of complaints/clues given that this was the case?
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

fgg

i got the chills reading this. that poor little boy.

That is wrong on so many levels. I hope there is a special place in hell for child abusers.
    "I'm not allowed within 200 feet of a school. Or a Chuck-E-Cheese..." Alan - The Hangover

and I just read that the house/trailer was filled w/ 8 other siblings and cousins; wtf!

this has no bearing on the degree of wrongness it is to hurt a child like that, but he was so beautiful too! smiling through the pain in that picture

maybe he's in a better place now than the hell on earth he experienced most of his life

Elite Member

Dad, stepmom charged in murder of boy found under concrete slab

By Ruth Ann Krause Sun-Times Media rkrause@suntimes.com May 10, 2011 12:36PM

Riley Choate and Kimberly Kubina were charged with murder, battery, neglect of a dependant and criminal confinement in the death of Christian Choate, 13, whose body was found under a concrete slab in Indiana.
    Article Extras
    Story Image View Gallery

Updated: June 12, 2011 12:27AM

Locked in a dog cage naked or chained to a bed frame, 13-year-old Christian Choate wouldn’t make much noise because if he did, the beatings would get worse.

The boy, found buried in a shallow grave near his former mobile home one week ago, had been abused for two to three years, police said.

Murder, battery, neglect of a dependent and criminal confinement charges were filed in Lake County, Ind. Tuesday against the boy’s father, Riley Lowell Choate, 39, of Hammond, and stepmother, Kimberly Leona Kubina, 45, of the Black Oak section of Gary. They will appear for initial hearings Wednesday morning.

Witnesses told police that Choate would slap Christian in the face after family members alleged Christian had molested a male relative. The beatings, which were witnessed by other children, grew more severe as Choate and his now ex-wife argued and Choate took it out on Christian, court records state.

When the family lived in the 7200 block of Polk Street in Merrillville, Choate and Kubina would lock Christian in a room in the basement. After the family moved to the Colfax Mobile Home Park in Black Oak, Riley put Christian in a dog cage bought from a neighbor and secured with seven locks. A witness told police Christian lived in the dog cage at their home in the 5900 block of West 36th Avenue every day for more than a year, until his death on April 5, 2009.

During that time, the boy’s parents would have his 17-year-old sister chain him to a bed frame that was leaning up against a dresser. The girl told police she was responsible for feeding Christian, taking him to the bathroom, forcing him to exercise or physically punishing him for failing to follow orders. She told police Choate would abuse her if she didn’t perform her duties properly.

“He needs to be locked up. He’s a dog,” Kubina told the other children, court records state.

Some beatings videotaped

As the beatings escalated, Christian would be denied food and confined naked except for a diaper, sometimes gagged with a sock and duct tape. The other children would try to sneak him food. Ice-cold baths twice a week would prompt his screams. The boy’s hands and feet began to turn purple from being tied to the bed frame.

The girl said she would strike the boy and once choked him until he turned blue, and used her stepmother’s video camera at Kubina’s direction to record the beatings. Those recordings were later recorded over, the girl said, but police searched Kubina’s home in Kentucky and recovered several computers, digital cameras, cell phones and other electronic storage devices.

On the day before Christian died, he refused to eat. His father became enraged and punched him in his head with full force several times before throwing him back in the cage, authorities said. On April 5, 2009, the girl told police she woke up and tried to feed her brother some cereal, but he refused, so she slapped him across the face twice and put him in the cage. She continued to check on him and eventually noticed he wasn’t breathing and called her stepmother and aunt, who had gone to pick up one of the other children who got in trouble at school. The girl said she attempted CPR on Christian with an air mattress pump.

At Kubina’s direction, the girl told police, she wrapped Christian in a yellow blanket, put him inside two black plastic bags and secured them in duct tape. Authorities alleged that Kubina and Choate buried the boy under a shed across the street from his former home in Black Oak. Police found the body under a layer of concrete, covered with lime and a Bible resting on his chest.

Cage meant for a dog

After the boy died, Kubina told the children Christian had run away, but a witness recalled Kubina asking Choate if he thought they would get caught. “What are you talking about?” Choate responded as he played racing games on the computer. “You know, the thing about Christian,” Kubina is quoted as saying.

Kubina told the children that Christian running away “is a family thing and we’re going to work through it. This goes to the grave,” court documents said.

Christian’s mother, Aimee Estrada, said she left Choate after he began abusing her. Choate had custody of their two children in July 2005, and Estrada said she was not allowed to visit her children after last seeing Christian in 2005. She contacted police May 1 after learning from her daughter that Christian had died.

Lori Wingard, the Choates’ former neighbor at Colfax Mobile Home Park, said Kubina approached her about buying the dog cage for $15. Wingard had sold her Alaskan malamute and the new owners weren’t taking the cage with them. When she learned the cage was used to confine Christian, Wingard said she cried and cried. “I had no idea,” she said.

On Tuesday, Choate pleaded not guilty to earlier charges of removal of a body from a death scene, failure to notify authorities of the discovery of a dead body and failure to report a dead body.

Dad, stepmom charged in murder of boy found under concrete slab - Chicago Sun-Times

I really don't understand how people can do this to anyone, let alone a little boy. I hate people sometimes, I really do.

horrifying

^ I hate people too BoogsBun. This is sickening. That poor boy RIP at last.

Reminds me so much of poor baby p.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

this gives me the chills. that poor, poor boy. i hope his "parents" die a horrible, slow, painful death in jail. i have absolutely no pity for animals like this, abusing and killing your OWN fucking child, WTF is wrong with some people? this makes me so angry.

and why the hell didn't the doctor report this to the authorities when the boy visited him several times, or the witness who saw him being locked up in the cage? how can these people sleep at night?
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

God..I wanted this forum for stories like this..and now I can barely stand to come into it...

..how...HOW..can this stuff be possible? The 'parents' need to be marched out of the jail and just summarily given a bullet to the brain.

I know Soj, I hate this forum and hated the idea b/c nothing kills me more than animal or child cruelty but then I was reading this story on a news website and had to share to kind of grieve w/ others - I know none of us knew Christian in life, but we can mourn him in death and maybe be more aware of warning signs like this in case we ever come across a family like this one

I just can't get over his picture either, its just not fair

Jesus Christ. The signs were there but no help came.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    I know Soj, I hate this forum and hated the idea b/c nothing kills me more than animal or child cruelty but then I was reading this story on a news website and had to share to kind of grieve w/ others - I know none of us knew Christian in life, but we can mourn him in death and maybe be more aware of warning signs like this in case we ever come across a family like this one

I just can't get over his picture either, its just not fair
    It is just unbelievably horrible and awful and stories like this make me think we should join up and become a hit squad targeting child abusing monsters...just traveling the nation and killing these monsters once they come to light..if we could only get away with it.

Just a heartbreaking horrible story, and the part about what he wrote...there are just no words-no words- to express the sadness of that.

I guess I have to admit my 'no death penalty' days are over. When there is undisputable evidence in cases like this, take them out and kill them immediately. I guess I have to turn in my 'Liberal' card.

There is just NO excuse. Give the kids the fuck up if you do not want them, hate them, want to hurt them or take out your miseries on them. Just give.them. up.

The father looks like a thug. The step-mother looks evil and insane.

Poor little boy. I hope they get some of the same in prison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information