Thread: Man Robs Store to Get Medical Care in Jail

Cool Man Robs Store to Get Medical Care in Jail

Man robs bank to get medical care in jail

By Zachary Roth zachary Roth – Tue Jun 21, 10:36 am ET

Some people who need medical care but can't afford it go to the emergency room. Others just hope they'll get better. James Richard Verone robbed a bank.
    Earlier this month, Verone (pictured), a 59-year-old convenience store clerk, walked into a Gaston, N.C., bank and handed the cashier a note demanding $1 and medical attention. Then he waited calmly for police to show up.
    He's now in jail and has an appointment with a doctor this week.
    Verone's problems started when he lost the job he'd held for 17 years as a Coca Cola deliveryman, amid the economic downturn. He found new work driving a truck, but it didn't last. Eventually, he took a part-time position at the convenience store.
    But Verone's body wasn't up to it. The bending and lifting made his back ache. He had problems with his left foot, making him limp. He also suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis.
    Then he noticed a protrusion on his chest. "The pain was beyond the tolerance that I could accept," Verone told the Gaston Gazette. "I kind of hit a brick wall with everything."
    Verone knew he needed help--and he didn't want to be a burden on his sister and brothers. He applied for food stamps, but they weren't enough either.
    So he hatched a plan. On June 9, he woke up, showered, ironed his shirt. He mailed a letter to the Gazette, listing the return address as the Gaston County Jail.
    "When you receive this a bank robbery will have been committed by me," Verone wrote in the letter. "This robbery is being committed by me for one dollar. I am of sound mind but not so much sound body."
    Then Verone hailed a cab to take him to the RBC Bank. Inside, he handed the teller his $1 robbery demand.
    "I didn't have any fears," said Verone. "I told the teller that I would sit over here and wait for police."
    The teller was so frightened that she had to be taken to the hospital to be checked out. Verone, meanwhile, was taken to jail, just as he'd planned it.
    Because he only asked for $1, Verone was charged with larceny, not bank robbery. But he said that if his punishment isn't severe enough, he plans to tell the judge that he'll do it again. His $100,000 bond has been reduced to $2,000, but he says he doesn't plan to pay it.
    In jail, Verone said he skips dinner to avoid too much contact with the other inmates. He's already seen some nurses and is scheduled to see a doctor on Friday. He said he's hoping to receive back and foot surgery, and get the protrusion on his chest treated. Then he plans to spend a few years in jail, before getting out in time to collect Social Security and move to the beach.
    Verone also presented the view that if the United States had a health-care system which offered people more government support, he wouldn't have had to make the choice he did.
    "If you don't have your health you don't have anything," Verone said.

The Affordable Care Act, President Obama's health-care overhaul passed by Congress last year, was designed to make it easier for Americans in situations like Verone's to get health insurance. But most of its provisions don't go into effect until 2014.
    As it is, Verone said he thinks he chose the best of a bunch of bad options. "I picked jail."
    (Photo: Ben Goff/The Gaston Gazette)

Man robs bank to get medical care in jail - Yahoo! News

The problem is that jail medical care isn't all that

Its better than NO medical care.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I feel for this fellow.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I remember way back when i was first nursing and I was told that a lot of seniors in my area were encouraged to divorce so the spouse that needed long term care could get greater SSA coverage. Just heartbreaking watching people that have been married 40-50 years get a divorce or go bankrupt.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That is heartbreaking.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

and there are still people that are against universal healthcare in the states? this is so sick.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

fgg

he looks scared shitless.

I'm broke and don't have insurance but there is a sliding scale/free clinic in my town. Did he ever look into that?

What pissed me off is that you basically can't get Medicaid in my state unless you have kids. Because God forbid us poor adults who haven't decided to pop out sprog we can't afford get a little help.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Looks like he just got kicked in the balls.
    "The most important question in all of human kind is..... would you hit it or not?" ~potato_chips

Thread Information