Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iran to blind criminal with acid in 'eye for an eye' justice (warning: graphic)

Default Iran to blind criminal with acid in 'eye for an eye' justice (warning: graphic)

Normally, I wouldn't support this kind of punishment, but I've been reading - for decades - of guys throwing acid in the face of women who turn down their advances. It's even happened in the U.S. This time, I think they should give these fuckers a taste of their own medicine.

Iran to blind criminal with acid in 'eye for an eye' justice

Retribution granted to woman who had acid thrown in her face by man she refused to marry

• Saeed Kamali Dehghan
    • guardian.co.uk, Friday 13 May 2011 18.56 BST Ameneh Bahrami, who was blinded when a spurned suitor threw acid at her, asked for the same to be inflicted on him. Photograph: Lluis Gene/AFP

In a literal application of the sharia law of an eye for an eye, Iran is ready for the first time to blind a man with acid, after he was found guilty of doing the same to a woman who refused to marry him.
      Majid Movahedi, 30, is scheduled to be rendered unconscious in Tehran's judiciary hospital at noon on Saturday while Ameneh Bahrami, his victim, drops acid in both his eyes, her lawyer said.
      Bahrami who had asked for an eye for an eye retribution in the court, was disfigured and blinded by Movahedi in 2004 when he threw a jar of acid in her face while she was returning home from work. "He was holding a red container in his hand. He looked into my eyes for a second and threw the contents of the red container into my face," she told the court in 2008.
      According to Iranian media, Bahrami's lawyer, Ali Sarafi, has said: "A very good sentence has been given and an appropriate method has been adopted so that the convict will be blinded by few drops of acids in eyes after he is rendered unconscious."
      In a highly publicised dossier in November 2008, a criminal court in Tehran ordered qisas (retribution) on Movahedi after he admitted throwing acid at Bahrami, and entitled her to blind him with acid. He was also required to pay compensation to the victim. Bahrami refused to accept the "blood money" and told the court: "Inflict the same life on him that he inflicted on me."
      Iranian officials have endorsed the the sentence in the hope of halting an increase in the rate of acid attacks. But human rights activists have warned against an "inhumane" sentence.
      The British Foreign Office urged Iran to halt the sentence. "The attack on Ameneh Bahrami in 2004 was a horrific crime," a spokesman said. "However, we are deeply concerned by reports that Majid Movahedi's sentence of being blinded by having acid dripped into his eyes may be carried out.
      "The FCO calls on the Iranian authorities to commute this inhumane punishment to an appropriate sentence in line with Iran's international obligations and to cease the practice of corporal punishment for crimes."
      Iranian media have reported that Movahedi will be blinded in both eyes but Bahrami, in an interview in 2009, said that the man would be blinded only in one eye because "each man is worth two women" under Iranian law.
      "The person who did this deserves to go through the same suffering. Only this way will he understand my pain … my intention is to ask for the application of the law not just for revenge but also so that no other woman will have to go through this. It is to set an example," Bahrami was quoted by the Spanish newspaper ABC as saying.
      Bahrami, who has an electronics degree and worked in a medical engineering company before the attack, moved to Spain with the help of the Iranian government where she has undergone a series of unsuccessful operations. She briefly recovered half vision in her right eye in 2007 but an infection blinded her again.
      Bahrami has recently published a book in Germany, Eye for an Eye, based on her personal life and her suffering since she was blinded.
      In recent months, human rights organisations have expressed alarm over the unprecedented increase of capital punishment in Iran, which last year executed more people than any other country apart from China.

Why should he be unconscious? She didn't have that little bit of mercy and neither should he

Sounds like a just punishment for me - but unconscious? Don't think so, but Iranian (and Middle East in general) laws baffle me. As long as he wakes up with a fucked-up face, I guess it works.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

i guess i'll probably be in the minority but i don't agree with this at all. it's not what justice should be about. but it's iran, so i'm not surprised.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think he earned this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I think he earned this.
    yep

I couldn't agree more
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i guess i'll probably be in the minority but i don't agree with this at all. it's not what justice should be about. but it's iran, so i'm not surprised.
    I don't agree with it either. It's barbaric. Punishment like this has no place in any decent society. But yeah it's Iran, so no surprise there.

No you're not alone, I don't agree with it either.

Elite Member

Same. Barbaric and stupid. What's accomplished by making another person blind? Does it bring back her site magically?

If the point is to make other men afraid to commit violence against women, I doubt there will be much success. This is a Muslim country, where a woman's word is worth half as much as a man's. Violence against women is supported by the Koran. Men will just find other ways to maim women.

The whole thing makes me kinda sick.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Same. Barbaric and stupid. What's accomplished by making another person blind? Does it bring back her site magically?
    Remember, it was the woman's idea that he be punished like this. I don't think of her as barbaric or stupid.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Remember, it was the woman's idea that he be punished like this. I don't think of her as barbaric or stupid.
    I disagree. Being blind and victimized doesn't raise her status to sainthood. What is she hoping to achieve with this blinding? Does revenge taste so sweet it erases her own disability?

Yeah, it's dumb and sickening.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I don't have a problem with this at all. Maybe I should, but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    From the article:
    Bahrami, in an interview in 2009, said that the man would be blinded only in one eye because "each man is worth two women" under Iranian law.
    If she really said this, then she's been brainwashed by a barbaric and stupid culture into believing this is a good and just punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I disagree. Being blind and victimized doesn't raise her status to sainthood. What is she hoping to achieve with this blinding? Does revenge taste so sweet it erases her own disability?

Yeah, it's dumb and sickening.
    Well put. I agree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information