Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rape victim invited it by wearing a tube top and makeup says chinless judge

Default Rape victim invited it by wearing a tube top and makeup says chinless judge

Rape victim 'inviting,' so no jail

Judge rules woman's clothes, conduct ease blame on attacker

By: Mike McIntyre
    Posted: 02/24/2011 1:00 AM
    [IMG]http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/240*320/DEWAR-JUDGE_14305645.jpg[/IMG] A Nov. 2009 file photo of Manitoba Judge Robert Dewar, who recently spared a convicted rapist jail time because the victim sent signals that "sex was in the air" through her suggestive attire and promiscuous conduct. (KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

A convicted rapist will not go to jail because a Manitoba judge says the victim sent signals that "sex was in the air" through her suggestive attire and flirtatious conduct on the night of the attack.

Kenneth Rhodes was given a two-year conditional sentence last week which allows him to remain free in the community, in a decision likely to trigger strong debate. The Crown wanted at least three years behind bars.
    Queen's Bench Justice Robert Dewar called Rhodes a "clumsy Don Juan" who may have misunderstood what the victim wanted when he forced intercourse along a darkened highway outside Thompson in 2006.

Rhodes and a friend met the 26-year-old woman and her girlfriend earlier that night outside a bar under what the judge called "inviting circumstances." Dewar specifically noted the women were wearing tube tops with no bra, high heels and plenty of makeup.

"They made their intentions publicly known that they wanted to party," said Dewar. He said the women spoke of going swimming in a nearby lake that night "notwithstanding the fact neither of them had a bathing suit."
    The foursome left the parking lot and headed into the woods, court was told. Rhodes began making sexual advances towards the victim, who initially rejected him but later returned his kisses. Rhodes then forced himself upon the woman once they were alone.

Rhodes pleaded not guilty at the trial on the basis he thought the woman had consented. Dewar rejected his defence -- but said aspects of it can now be considered in sentencing.

"This is a different case than one where there is no perceived invitation," said Dewar. "This is a case of misunderstood signals and inconsiderate behaviour."

Dewar said he didn't want to be seen as blaming the victim but that all of the factors surrounding the case must be viewed to assess "moral blameworthiness."

"I'm sure whatever signals were sent that sex was in the air were unintentional," he said.

The Crown was seeking at least three years in prison for Rhodes, who has no prior criminal record and works for the City of Thompson. They cited numerous precedents from the Manitoba Court of Appeal suggesting the "starting point" for a major sexual assault involving intercourse is a penitentiary sentence.

"This sentencing will raise a number of issues relating to public confidence in the sentencing process," Crown attorney Sheila Seesahai told court. She said the victim was at the mercy of her much larger attacker and his "repugnant and reprehensible" conduct.

In a victim impact statement, the woman described her ongoing fear related to the attack.

"I'm a prisoner in my own home," she wrote. The woman said she bears a permanent reminder of what Rhodes did to her -- a scar on her knee.

"This is a very serious rape case. The harm to the victim can't be underestimated," said Seesahai.

Defence lawyer Derek Coggan told court it's clear alcohol was a factor for both his client and the victim in terms of their ability to make good judgments.

"She had a very different understanding of what was in the accused's mind than he did," said Coggan. He said Rhodes never threatened the woman, didn't have a weapon and was simply "insensitive to the fact (she) was not a willing participant."

Dewar said the case was not "typical" of ones the courts often see and shouldn't be viewed as a precedent.

"There is a different quality to this case than many sexual assaults," he said. "Not all guilty people are morally culpable to the same level. This difference is not to be reflected in conviction. It can be reflected in sentencing. Protection of society is not advanced one iota by putting Mr. Rhodes in jail."

Rhodes will be under a 24-hour curfew for the first year of his conditional sentence, with exceptions to allow him to work and attend to medical appointments. His name will also be placed on the national sex offender registry. The judge also ordered Rhodes to write a letter of apology to his victim.

Rape victim 'inviting,' so no jail - Winnipeg Free Press
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; February 25th, 2011 at 07:29 AM.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Sorry I raped you, I thought you wanted it since you were dressed so skimpy? Seriously?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Meh, I only come here because I was curious to see a chinless judge. Instead I stumbled into the 80s.

I take it the Judge's wife and mother do not wear make up.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
    Meh, I only come here because I was curious to see a chinless judge. Instead I stumbled into the 80s.
    *like* button
    Go Habs Go!!

I clicked on the link to see the judge, and his picture gave me a hearty chuckle. And letter of apology. Is it supposed to go like "Sorry I raped you, but you were kind of asking for it." Is she supposed to go, "Aw, he's right. I was asking for it. I'd better never wear makeup or high heels again, lest I ask for it."

Queen's Bench Justice Robert Dewar called Rhodes a "clumsy Don Juan" who may have misunderstood what the victim wanted when he forced intercourse along a darkened highway outside Thompson in 2006.

"She had a very different understanding of what was in the accused's mind than he did," said Coggan. He said Rhodes never threatened the woman, didn't have a weapon and was simply "insensitive to the fact (she) was not a willing participant."
    I'm surprised they didn't throw in the old "no doesn't always mean no" and how it wasn't nice to leave the poor guy with blue balls.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

No surprises here. Its China
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Manitoba, China?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

China?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Yes, Manitoba, China. Is there an echo in here?

Echo?

-- Stephen Hawking

China?

Toronto, China?

Don’t dress like a slut: Toronto cop

Raymond Kwan
    Senior Staff

Students and staff at Osgoode Hall Law School are demanding an apology and explanation from the Toronto Police Service after one of their officers suggested women can avoid sexual assault by not dressing like a “slut.”
    On Jan. 24, a campus safety information session was held at Osgoode Hall, where members from York security and two male officers from Toronto police 31 Division handed out safety tips to community
    members.
    Ronda Bessner, who attended the session, remembered being surprised by what the officer suggested to women.
    “One of the safety tips was for women not to dress like ‘sluts.’ He said something like, ‘I’ve been told I shouldn’t say this,’ and then he uttered the words,” said Bessner, Osgoode assistant dean of the Juris Doctor Program. “I was shocked and appalled. I made contact with the police [...] and we’ve asked for a written apology and an explanation.”
    YFS vice-president Darkshika Selvasivam, who did not attend the session, also expressed shock upon hearing the comments.
    “I’m appalled by the comment that the police officer has made saying that women should avoid dressing like sluts, and I think it goes to show the inherent misogyny and lack of education,” said Selvasivam, York Federation of Students (YFS) executive.
    “I think the officer should be very seriously reprimanded for the comment.”
    After the session, Bessner spoke with students and student organizations and noted they, too, expressed concerns about the comment. Bessner proceeded to call 31 Division to demand an apology and explanation.
    “Initially it was a call, and the officer said he would get back to me right away. A couple of days had lapsed, so I sent a letter,” she said.
    Toronto police spokesperson Constable Wendy Drummond confirmed the incident has been brought to the attention of senior officials and is currently under investigation.
    “[This is] definitely something that we take very seriously. This matter [...] has been brought to the attention of our professional standards unit and is something we will be looking into,” she said.
    However, she could not confirm whether Toronto police intend to issue an official apology.
    “We are of the position that if these comments were made, it is definitely something that we will [act on],” she added.
    Bessner said she has yet to receive an official apology from the officer. She has also spoken to York security and noted that they were also upset by the comments.
    “We have a good relationship with the Toronto Police Service and work collaboratively with them,” said Janice Walls, York spokesperson. “However, we were very surprised and shocked by the comment that was made and we certainly don’t agree with it.”
    Bessner argued that such comments make it difficult for victims dealing with sexual assault because they make them feel uncomfortable going to the police for help.
    “I think the problem with the constable’s conduct was that he was blaming the victim,” she said. “He’s also not making victims feel safe to go to the police. It’s quite astounding that in 2011 that you hear comments like that from a professional.”
    Bessner stressed the importance of officers having proper knowledge about sexual assault cases.
    “I think it’s really important that the police [...] receive appropriate training on sexual assault, so that statements like this are never made and that they understand the dynamics of sexual assault.”
    Source: http://www.excal.on.ca/news/don%E2%80%99t-dress-like-a-slut-toronto-cop/

What the hell is this?

-- Stephen Hawking

Those Chinese Canooooks are craaaazy.

Isn't it too cold there to dress like a slut?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information