Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CBS’s Lara Logan suffered ‘brutal’ sexual assault attack in Egypt

Default CBS’s Lara Logan suffered ‘brutal’ sexual assault attack in Egypt

CBS’s Logan suffered ‘brutal’ attack in Egypt - Yahoo! News

CBS News correspondent Lara Logan "suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating" on Feb. 11 in Egypt, according to a network statement.

The incident took place as Logan was covering celebrations in Tahrir Square for "60 Minutes" shortly after the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak. Logan and her security team "were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration," according to the CBS statement. There were over 200 people in the mob.

"In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew," the statement continued. "She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers."

Logan reconnected with her team and returned to the United States the next morning. She's currently recovering in a hospital.

During the Egyptian uprising, numerous journalists were attacked by pro-Mubarak mobs and arrested. Unlike the attack on Logan, which took place after Mubarak left office, most took place during a two-day period when Mubarak supporters hit the streets. The attack on Logan shows the danger to foreign correspondents reporting from hot spots around the world.

Journalists continue to face threats in the Middle East and North Africa, as protests inspired by events in Egypt and Tunisia take place throughout the region. On Monday, government loyalists in Yemen attacked a BBC reporter and his cameraman.

Nearly two weeks ago, Logan described the difficulties facing foreign journalists in Egypt--a country not unlike other authoritarian regimes in its treatment of the press--just before she was also detained by police.

Logan spoke to Esquire about her earlier police interrogation on Feb. 10, the night before the attack transpired.

"We were all blindfolded," Logan told the magazine. "They blindfolded me, but they said if I didn't take it off they wouldn't tie my hands. They kept us in stress positions—they wouldn't let me put my head down. It was all through the night. We were pretty exhausted."

She said Egyptian police also accused her crew of being "Israeli spies" or agents. "We were accused of everything," she said.

But Logan, who had returned to the United States after the police detention, wasn't going to sit out the rest of a major revolution. She decided to return to Egypt on Feb. 10, telling Esquire "there's no doubt in my mind that the situation we were caught in before, we are now arriving into again."

The New York Times noted Tuesday that "some female journalists complained about being singled out by crowds" while covering the protests in Egypt. However, it's unclear at this time if there were other incidents of sexual assault involving journalists.

The crowd in Tahrir Square during the early days of the protest was overwhelmingly male. But as the protests grew, the crowd resembled a cross-section of Egyptian society, with women and children present at demonstrations. That continued through the celebrations following Mubarak's resignation, which until this incident, have been largely viewed in a positive light.

CBS said Tuesday that there will be no further comment and that "Logan and her family respectfully request privacy at this time."

That fucking sucks. That's all I have to say.

Thank God she lived and bless those Egyptian women and soldiers.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Disgusting.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Thank God she lived and bless those Egyptian women and soldiers.
    Oh my yes. How awful and scary.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

This is tragic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I heard during the protests - women protesters was being dragged off into alleyways and were sexually assaulted. But glad she is okay but sorry she had to experience this

Want to read rage inducing comments by other writers about this Oh No They Didn't! - What not to say about Lara Logan UGH

Ugh. Monsters.

Elite Member

Nothing short of vile. Thank goodness someone stepped in to help her.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

ugh thats sickening.

my father always taught me to stay clear of mobs/large groups of people. not for this reason, but because of the deadly dangers of trampling and mob mentality. I really must remember that. How very scary, its like you're suffocating and no one can hear you scream even though you're surrounded by people.

I have cried over this many times. It distresses me to the point where I feel absolutely hollow inside. Firstly, that a woman had to undergo such an absolutely traumatic experience. My heart hurts thinking about what she went through. And then to read these absolute vile and despicable comments online by anonymous cowards who discuss her looks, what she was wearing, how a "white liberal bitch" deserved it....I feel like I am witnessing the absolute depravity of humanity here. I can't wrap my mind around it, it makes me feel like I can't have faith in anything anymore.

And then, to top it all off, people have taken this occasion to spout their racist and xenophobic and utterly IGNORANT world views about how bad Muslims and Arabs are, that they are "programmed" to rape and be violent, that they aren't used to seeing a woman unveiled, etc. Out of all the absolutely beautiful stories that have come out of Egypt, all have now been forgotten because a group of vile and opportunistic criminal thugs committed such a disgusting assault against a woman. THIS is what people are talking about now, THIS is what will be remembered. They have destroyed the legacy of this iconic event, they have tarnished it because a group of IGNORANT and AWFUL Americans have latched onto this story to prove their talking points about how Middle Easterners can't be trusted. Those fucking assholes gave the "holy right" here in America exactly what they wanted, they wanted to see depravity amidst all the love, and they got it. Now they can talk about how bad Muslims and Arabs are, just waiting to rape any pretty little thing that crosses their path. Now they can have more ammunition against my husband and my loved ones, because anytime an Arab does something wrong, it's due to their inherent nature. Die in a fire, all of you.

For these two things, I would gladly go over to Egypt and slice the dicks off of any of these fucking cowards who did this, and watch them die a slow and painful death as I show them their "manhood" in my hand. And this is from someone who is not violent in the least, this incident has sparked something in me that has made my anger multiply tenfold. I would watch the light go out of their eyes, I would have no problem with that.

And to Debbie Schlussel, you dumb stupid cowardly hateful BITCH who writes these comments:

So sad, too bad, Lara. No one told her to go there. She knew the risks. And she should have known what Islam is all about. Now she knows. Or so we’d hope. But in the case of the media vis-a-vis Islam, that’s a hope that’s generally unanswered.

This never happened to her or any other mainstream media reporter when Mubarak was allowed to treat his country of savages in the only way they can be controlled.

Now that’s all gone. How fitting that Lara Logan was “liberated” by Muslims in Liberation Square while she was gushing over the other part of the “liberation.”

Hope you’re enjoying the revolution, Lara! Alhamdilllullah [praise allah].

You woman-hating cunt. I hate you with the passion of a hundred suns, you fucking cunt (I reserve the word for women like you). And I STILL wouldn't celebrate if you were raped - but I will celebrate when you rot in hell where you belong. Fuck you and anyone who supports your hateful rhetoric, you are an embarrassment to humanity.

Now excuse me while I go cry.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I have cried over this many times. It distresses me to the point where I feel absolutely hollow inside. Firstly, that a woman had to undergo such an absolutely traumatic experience. My heart hurts thinking about what she went through. And then to read these absolute vile and despicable comments online by anonymous cowards who discuss her looks, what she was wearing, how a "white liberal bitch" deserved it....I feel like I am witnessing the absolute depravity of humanity here. I can't wrap my mind around it, it makes me feel like I can't have faith in anything anymore.

And then, to top it all off, people have taken this occasion to spout their racist and xenophobic and utterly IGNORANT world views about how bad Muslims and Arabs are, that they are "programmed" to rape and be violent, that they aren't used to seeing a woman unveiled, etc. Out of all the absolutely beautiful stories that have come out of Egypt, all have now been forgotten because a group of vile and opportunistic criminal thugs committed such a disgusting assault against a woman. THIS is what people are talking about now, THIS is what will be remembered. They have destroyed the legacy of this iconic event, they have tarnished it because a group of IGNORANT and AWFUL Americans have latched onto this story to prove their talking points about how Middle Easterners can't be trusted. Those fucking assholes gave the "holy right" here in America exactly what they wanted, they wanted to see depravity amidst all the love, and they got it. Now they can talk about how bad Muslims and Arabs are, just waiting to rape any pretty little thing that crosses their path. Now they can have more ammunition against my husband and my loved ones, because anytime an Arab does something wrong, it's due to their inherent nature. Die in a fire, all of you.

For these two things, I would gladly go over to Egypt and slice the dicks off of any of these fucking cowards who did this, and watch them die a slow and painful death as I show them their "manhood" in my hand. And this is from someone who is not violent in the least, this incident has sparked something in me that has made my anger multiply tenfold. I would watch the light go out of their eyes, I would have no problem with that.

And to Debbie Schlussel, you dumb stupid cowardly hateful BITCH who writes these comments:

So sad, too bad, Lara. No one told her to go there. She knew the risks. And she should have known what Islam is all about. Now she knows. Or so we’d hope. But in the case of the media vis-a-vis Islam, that’s a hope that’s generally unanswered.

This never happened to her or any other mainstream media reporter when Mubarak was allowed to treat his country of savages in the only way they can be controlled.

Now that’s all gone. How fitting that Lara Logan was “liberated” by Muslims in Liberation Square while she was gushing over the other part of the “liberation.”

Hope you’re enjoying the revolution, Lara! Alhamdilllullah [praise allah].

You woman-hating cunt. I hate you with the passion of a hundred suns, you fucking cunt (I reserve the word for women like you). And I STILL wouldn't celebrate if you were raped - but I will celebrate when you rot in hell where you belong. Fuck you and anyone who supports your hateful rhetoric, you are an embarrassment to humanity.

Now excuse me while I go cry.
    I'm sorry this whole thing hit you so hard, January, but I have to say, after this post, you're officially my favourite.

I honestly don't know whether I'm more disturbed by the story or by the aftermath, online and off. I have been avoiding reading about it too much, because the comments on most sites are even worse than the usual cesspool. If it's not misogynist victim-blaming and salacious focus on the reporter's looks, it's openly racist comments...often simultaneously.

And that Schlussel woman is a piece of work. I'd use more profanity, but I think your said it all already, and very eloquently at that.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I hate these people. I'm all for an official GR boycott of all things Daily Mail.

Sexual assault victim has “form for dressing provocatively”, says Daily Mail

Posted by Duncan Robinson - 18 February 2011 10:59

The British newspaper's take on the sustained sexual assault of CBS reporter, Lara Logan.
    CBS news correspondent, Lara Logan. Photo: Getty Images.

Amid the hysteria at Tahrir Square in Cairo earlier this week, reports emerged that the CBS reporter Lara Logan was subjected to "a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating".
    What was the Daily Mail's diary column's take on this event?

"Nothing excuses the Cairo sexual assault on CBS TV reporter Lara Logan, 39, but" – and you knew there would be a but – "she does have 'form' for dressing provocatively in inappropriate locations."

Wow.

According to the column, Logan was rebuked in 2002 by British military officers in Afghanistan for "flashing her cleavage", which explains why she was sexually assaulted nine years later. Doesn't it?

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/th...-provocatively
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i got problem with that sister! ^

January, I know this has effected you terribly. You are too right about that horrid woman and her trashy words. She is off in her own world.
    There are far,far more Americans that see all of the good that was done and past these thugs. They were cowards that should be stomped down in any society.
    The bravery and determination of those women and soldiers far outweighs the harm that was caused by a small number of outlaws.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information