Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Um, this is weird ... Body Found After Driver, Son Overcome By Fumes

Default Um, this is weird ... Body Found After Driver, Son Overcome By Fumes

So, is Daddy a killer? Lots of things going on in this one ... why did the mother relinquish custody of the other kids back home? Who the hell is in the back of the truck??

-----------------------------------------

Police are investigating a bizarre incident that unfolded on I-95 in West Palm Beach Monday when a Miami man and his foster son were hospitalized for chemical exposure in a truck and authorities found a body in a bag in the truck's bed.

The strange series of events started around 7 a.m. Monday when the red Toyota pest control pickup pulled off the highway near Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. Inside were 53-year-old Jorge Barahona and his 10-year-old son Victor Vocter, who were both overcome after they were exposed to some sort of chemical, officials said. Both were conscious when rescuers arrived, and were taken to separate nearby hospitals for treatment. Barahona and his son are in the intensive care units, officials said.

When police began to search the back of the truck, not only did they discover an open container containing an acid-like substance, they also found a suspicious bag. Inside the bag was a body. Police haven't identified the body or said whether it was a man or woman.

The truck has not been moved and the FBI has been called in to investigate.

"It's really tragic," West Palm Beach Police spokesman Chase Scott told the Palm Beach Post. "It's not pretty inside the truck." Police were able to track the truck down to CJ Pest Control in Miami. They apparently also tracked down an address for Barahona in the area of Southwest 47th Ave. and 115th St. in Miami-Dade, where officers were seen late Monday night. Barahona's wife, Carmen, was seen talking to detectives and she relinquished custody of the couple's other children, whom they adopted out of the foster care system. The parents, who in total have adopted four kids under the age of 10, were under investigation by the Department of Children and Families, the Palm Beach Post reports. Investigators haven't said what, if anything, was found in the home.

Body found after driver, son overcome by odor - Local News - Miami, FL - msnbc.com

Boy found inside truck was covered with 'acid', police say

Lannis Waters/Palm Beach Post
    Enlarge Photo
    WEST PALM BEACH -- The West Palm Beach Police mobile command center is parked alongside I-95 Tuesday morning, where authorities are investigating the truck where a body was found in a plastic bag Monday, hours after the driver and his son were taken to the hospital.

Richard Graulich/Palm Beach Post
    Enlarge Photo
    Authorities from several law enforcement agencies collected evidence from a pest control truck on the side of Interstate 95 Monday evening.

Enlarge Photo
    Authorities from several law enforcement agencies work to collect evidence at the scene.

Enlarge Photo
    Some northbound lanes of I-95 are blocked as authorities work the scene.

Lannis Waters/Palm Beach Post
    A truck sits wrapped in plastic tarps alongside I-95 Tuesday morning, where a body was found in a plastic bag Monday, hours after the driver and his son were taken to the hospital.

By Michael LaForgia, Cynthia Roldan and Cynthia Roldan
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Updated: 5:43 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2011
    Posted: 6:33 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2011

WEST PALM BEACH They found Jorge L. Barahona slumped by the side of Interstate 95 on Monday, unconscious at the wheel a red pickup awash in dangerous chemicals. Beside him was 10-year-old Victor Vocter, the second oldest of Barahona's four adopted children, "covered in acid," critically hurt and writhing with seizures.

In the bed of the pickup, coated in still more chemicals, was a body hidden in a bag.

With help from the state Department of Children and Families, which was investigating an allegation that Barahona and his wife abused or neglected their adopted children, city police investigators this afternoon were assembling these jagged pieces into "an extremely tragic and complex" narrative that spanned from Miami-Dade to Palm Beach County, officials said.

Reacting to the lurid discovery, DCF workers placed the "remaining" of the Barahona's four adopted children under state protective supervision and into the custody of their maternal grandparents, said agency spokesman Mark Riordan.

Riordan declined to say whether the body found in the bag was one of Barahona's other children. County forensic investigators - kept at bay for more than 20 hours by fumes from the unspecified chemicals - still were waiting this afternoon for a chance to inspect the corpse, said officials at the Palm Beach County Medical Examiner's Office.

"We're in the preliminary stages of an extremely tragic and complex set of circumstances," Riordan said. "Our children's legal services team is working right now to determine whether we'll take the case into dependency court and to determine whether there's any further judicial action necessary."
    Barahona, 53, of Miami and the boy were found about 7 a.m. Monday by the side of northbound Interstate 95, between Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard and 45th Street, in the reeking truck.
    Barahona was unconscious. The boy was having a seizure and was so severely hurt that he was rushed to St. Mary's Medical Center. He remained this morning in an incubator in the intensive care unit, said city police spokesman Chase Scott.

The body in the bed of the pickup wasn't discovered until about 5 p.m. Monday, when a state Department of Environmental Protection worker sifting through the chemicals uncovered the gruesome bundle, Scott said.

Riordan said Barahona and his 60-year-old wife, Carmen, were the subjects of an ongoing DCF investigation into allegations of abuse or neglect. "There were several prior cases of protective investigations," he added.

More information about those cases wasn't immediately available.
    The Barahonas married in January 1996 in Coral Gables, county records show. Together they operate CJ's Pest Exterminator, Inc., from their home on Southwest 47th Terrace in Miami.

Both Riordan and city police declined to explain why Barahona and Victor were hauling a body up the interstate through Palm Beach County on Monday.

Apparently incapacitated by the chemicals, Jorge Barahona was taken to Columbia Medical Center on Tuesday.

Carmen Barahona couldn't immediately be reached for comment.
    Almost a full day after the body was found, chemical fumes still hung so thickly over the pickup that forensic investigators from the Palm Beach County Medical Examiner's Office couldn't go near it, said the agency's operations manager, Rus Ruslander.

Confronted with unknown chemicals and an unconventional crime scene, West Palm Beach police called in the FBI for assistance, said Special Agent Mike Leverock, a bureau spokesman. He added that the FBI is playing a support role while city detectives conduct their investigation. Scott, the police spokesman, said the FBI was overseeing a lengthy decontamination process.

Firefighters, police investigators and other officials remained by the side of Interstate 95 this afternoon, jamming the shoulder in a scrum that continued to snarl traffic.

Staff writer Alexandra Seltzer and staff researcher Niels Heimeriks contributed to this story.
    Authorities investigate body found in pesticide truck near Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Calling upon all the murder mystery novels I've ever read, I say this is what happened: they killed one of the kids, put the body in the bag, were using the truck to dispose of the body. But improperly closed chemical containers spilled/leaked into the truck cab while they were driving and knocked them the fuck out.

Guess we'll have to wait and see but the situation seems fucked up on the whole and if they were under investigation then those two were probably up to no good adopting all those foster kids.

Reminds me of Dexter... God I miss that show.

The kid's name is "Victor Vocter"?

** tries to resist Airplane references **
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    The kid's name is "Victor Vocter"?

** tries to resist Airplane references **
    haha! that's exactly what popped in to my head when i read his name.

Flight Control: Flight 209 you're clear for takeoff.
    Clarence Oveur: Roger.
    Roger Murdock: Huh?
    FC: LA departure frequency 123.9.
    Clarence Oveur: Roger.
    Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
    Clarence Oveur: What?
    FC: Flight 209 clear for vector 324.
    Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
    Clarence Oveur: Roger, Roger, what's our vector, victor?
    FC: Now we're in radio clearance, over.
    Clarence Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur, over.
    Victor Basta: Roger.
    FC: Roger, over.
    Clarence Oveur: What?
    Victor Basta: Who?

**did not resist very well or very long**
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Which can only be topped by:

Witness: Striker was the squadron leader. He brought us in real low. But he couldn't handle it.
    Prosecutor: Buddy couldn't handle it? Was Buddy one of your crew?
    Witness: Right. Buddy was the bombardier. But it was Striker who couldn't handle it, and he went to pieces.
    Prosecutor: *Andy* went to pieces?
    Witness: No. Andy was the navigator. He was all right. Buddy went to pieces. It was awful how he came unglued.
    Prosecutor: *Howie* came unglued?
    Witness: Oh, no. Howie was a rock, the best tailgunner in the outfit. Buddy came unglued.
    Prosecutor: And he bailed out?
    Witness: No. Andy hung tough. Buddy bailed out. How he survived, it was a miracle.
    Prosecutor: Then Howie survived?
    Witness: No, 'fraid not. We lost Howie the next day.
    Prosecutor: Over Mucho Grande?
    Witness: No. I don't think I'll ever get over Mucho Grande.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Calling upon all the murder mystery novels I've ever read, I say this is what happened: they killed one of the kids, put the body in the bag, were using the truck to dispose of the body. But improperly closed chemical containers spilled/leaked into the truck cab while they were driving and knocked them the fuck out.

Guess we'll have to wait and see but the situation seems fucked up on the whole and if they were under investigation then those two were probably up to no good adopting all those foster kids.
    I guessed they killed one of the kids too, but if you look at the picture contained in the link in my first post, the "body bag" looks rather large. I don't know ... just hoping it's not a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post

that's where my sick mind went too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I guessed they killed one of the kids too, but if you look at the picture contained in the link in my first post, the "body bag" looks rather large. I don't know ... just hoping it's not a child.
    I hope its not a child but... my gut tells me it is.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Body in contaminated truck is missing girl, 10, police suspect; father of four charged

The police investigation continued to snarl traffic on the interstate Tuesday as motorists slowed to look at the massive roadside scene of police, firefighters and hazardous materials crews. Two blue tarps were set up over the back of the maroon pickup and its chemical contents.

The body was removed from the truck at about 8 p.m. Tuesday. Men in hazmat suits put the body, and the plastic it was partially wrapped in, inside a body bag, then inside a second body bag before taking it to the Medical Examiner's office.

The truck was to be moved later Tuesday night FBI agents finished gathering chemicals and other evidence.

At St. Mary's, Victor was so covered with chemicals that emergency room staff became sick.

"Firefighters had reactions when they responded [to the scene] and we even had an officer who was in the hospital when they brought the child in [and] he and hospital staff became sick just being near the child," Scott said

Jorge Barahona has been placed under arrest, Scott said.

"We have charged him at this time with aggravated child abuse," Scott, the police spokesman. "Other charges are likely. The aggravated child abuse charge stems from the incident on the road with his 10-year-old son who is hospitalized."

The father is under police guard at Columbia Hospital. "He is lucid enough to know he has been charged," Scott said. Police have had short conversations with Barahona, Victor and Carmen Barahona.

"The son was in the passenger seat of the vehicle and he did have acid on his body. He does have some burns," he said.

Body found in truck in West Palm Beach may be missing girl, 10 - chicagotribune.com

Dear God. Which missing girl? And clearly he had his son help him with getting the body ready for disposal or the kid wouldn't have been covered in chemicals/acid. Sick bastard!

^ I think she's the twin of the brother in the truck. The father has four kids he adopted and is well known to child protection. They should have been saved ages ago.
    Here:

"Both Victor and his twin, who has not been identified by police or child welfare administrators, had been the subject of a troubling call to the Department of Children & Families’ abuse hotline only four days earlier. The children, a schoolteacher said, were being bound hand-and-feet with duct tape."

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/1...#ixzz1E5QKq9Jw

Angry

Ling chi for Jose Barahona.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ I think she's the twin of the brother in the truck. The father has four kids he adopted and is well known to child protection. They should have been saved ages ago.
    Oh my god. poor little boy. the motherfucker made him help him get rid of his sister like that. or he poured acid on the boy too. jesus.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information