Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Appearance on Dr. Phil show leads to child abuse charge against Alaska woman

Default Appearance on Dr. Phil show leads to child abuse charge against Alaska woman

Discipline: Jessica Beagley shouts at her son Christoph, 7, before pouring hot sauce into his mouth

An Anchorage woman is charged with child abuse because of a "Dr.Phil" TV show appearance in which the audience saw video of her disciplining a 7-year-old son by putting hot sauce in his mouth and forcing him into a cold shower.
    The methods chosen by Jessica Beagley were unreasonable, said municipal prosecutor Cynthia Franklin.
    The lawyer for the 36-year-old mother said the city is intruding into a family matter.
    "She has not done anything that would warrant a criminal charge for child abuse," said attorney William Ingaldson. "If this hadn't showed up on 'Dr. Phil,' there wouldn't be anybody saying anything about it."
    Beagley is pleading not guilty at Friday's arraignment, he said.
    "Some people think spanking your child is wrong, and she doesn't even do that," Ingaldson said.

Neither the child in the video nor five other children in the home have been removed by the Office of Children's Services, the Anchorage Daily News reported Friday.
    Beagley's husband, Gary Beagley, is an Anchorage police officer. He's not under investigation, said the department spokesman, Lt. Dave Parker.
    "Ultimately, a jury will have to decide if that's the case," Parker said.
    In the video, Beagley is punishing the boy for "pulling three cards," a reference to three reports from his school of bad behaviour.
    "We've tried timeouts with (him)," Beagley says in a YouTube video from the "Dr. Phil" appearance. "That is a big joke."
    In the video, Beagley goes on to explain that those previous methods of discipline — timeouts, spankings, forced exercise, soap in the mouth — didn't stop the boy from acting out and lying, so she turned to hot sauce.
    When she's at her wits' end, the boy gets a cold shower, Beagley says.

Municipal law on child abuse lists several factors in determining what is reasonable parental discipline. One example of unreasonable discipline included in the code is the scalding, branding or burning of a child.
    Though the code does not mention hot sauce specifically, the section on burning applies to hot sauce, according to the prosecutor's office.
    The Beagley children haven't had physical injuries or medical care for injuries, the defence lawyer said.
    The case has attracted the attention of Russian media because the boy and his twin brother were adopted from Russia when they were 5 years old, said Franklin, the prosecutor.

The Canadian Press: Appearance on Dr. Phil show leads to child abuse charge against Alaska woman

Of course pouring hot sauce in a kids mouth isn't child abuse *insert eye roll here*.... Are people really this fucking stupid?
    Free Charmed.

Gee, I wonder where this child learned all his bad behaviour from???????? Maybe from his douchbag of a "mother."

/duh

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Are people really this fucking stupid?
    yes

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

It was a rhetorical question. Honest.
    Free Charmed.

"Some people think spanking your child is wrong, and she doesn't even do that," Ingaldson said.

Good lord. That is the WORST straw man I've ever heard.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Are people really this fucking stupid?
    Yes, and then they actually make videos of the abuse and send them to national tv shows too!

Personally, I blame youtube.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Of course pouring hot sauce in a kids mouth isn't child abuse *insert eye roll here*.... Are people really this fucking stupid?
    Ahem, Blair from Facts of Life advocates this childhood behavioral modification technique AND she's born again, so she must be getting it straight from her God AND she played a rich girl on a tv show, so it must be right.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

^lmao - Team Blair
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

She played a bitch on the show and she's clearly one in real life.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

What's the dif between that and washing your kids mouth out with soap?

I mean people discipline their pets this way too, coating the wooden legs of furniture in hot sauce to discourage chewing.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My mom used the hot sauce when we mouthed off, so what? The kid's 7, it's not like he's a toddler. It was damn effective, and trust me, my mom is an excellent mother.

Putting hot sauce in a kid's mouth is not a big deal, never one I used, but my grandparents did it. The cold shower thing is a whole other story. Don't really see the purpose in that.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The video clip is horrifying. I hope she goes to jail and gets the shit beat out of her. Monster.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjQ2Num_9w[/YOUTUBE]

I know someone who did this and I witnessed it once.

It's not like the kid just go ok, here's my mouth. The mother had to pin him to the ground, get on top of him, pry open his mouth and put it on. Meanwhile the kid is screaming and thrashing like he's being murdered. Followed by horrible howling when his mouth is on fire.

Horrifying.

ETA: I couldn't finish watching that video. Fuck her.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information