Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio Mom Jailed for Fraud After Sending Kids to Better School

Default Ohio Mom Jailed for Fraud After Sending Kids to Better School

Saw this on the news this morning. I know someone who is doing the same thing with her son.

Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District
    Judge Sentenced Mother Convicted of Falsifying Residency Records to 10 Days in Jail

Jan. 26, 2011

An Ohio mother's attempt to provide her daughters with a better education has landed her behind bars.

Kelley Williams-Bolar was convicted of lying about her residency to get her daughters into a better school district.

"It's overwhelming. I'm exhausted," she said. "I did this for them, so there it is. I did this for them."

Williams-Bolar decided four years ago to send her daughters to a highly ranked school in neighboring Copley-Fairlawn School District.

But it wasn't her Akron district of residence, so her children were ineligible to attend school there, even though her father lived within the district's boundaries.

The school district accused Williams-Bolar of lying about her address, falsifying records and, when confronted, having her father file false court papers to get around the system.

Williams-Bolar said she did it to keep her children safe and that she lived part-time with her dad.

"When my home got broken into, I felt it was my duty to do something else," Williams-Bolar said.

While her children are no longer attending schools in the Copley-Fairlawn District, school officials said she was cheating because her daughters received a quality education without paying taxes to fund it.

"Those dollars need to stay home with our students," school district officials said.

Sentence Intended as Deterrent

The district hired a private investigator, who shot video showing Williams-Bolar driving her children into the district.

The school officials asked her to pay $30,000 in back tuition.

Williams-Bolar refused and was indicted and convicted of falsifying her residency records.

She was sentenced last week to 10 days in county jail and put on three years of probation.

She will also be required to perform community service, the Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar said she was being singled out.

"I don't think they wanted money ? ," Williams-Bolar said. "They wanted me to be an example."

Presiding Judge Patricia Cosgrove acknowledged as much.

"I felt that some punishment or deterrent was needed for other individuals who might think to defraud the various school districts," Cosgrove said.

Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District - ABC News
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

he district hired a private investigator, who shot video showing Williams-Bolar driving her children into the district.
    A PI? That's nuts.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I think they were investigating several families, but she was the only one who refused to pay up when caught. So they prosecuted her.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

wow. lots of people do this. we all want the best for our kids. I do wonder if she did something to get on the wrong side of someone at that school to have them take it this far.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

She's now facing possible trouble with the housing authority:

Agency probing mother's residency
    Akron woman whose girls went to Copley under AMHA scrutiny

An Akron mother in jail for improperly enrolling her children in Copley-Fairlawn schools cleared one hurdle Tuesday but faces another.

Kelley Williams-Bolar's conviction for falsifying documents to enroll her two children in the suburban district prompted questions about whether she violated voter registration laws and public housing regulations.

The Summit County elections board referred the voter registration question Tuesday to the county prosecutor's office, but the prosecutor declined to pursue the issue, saying it was too similar to what landed Williams-Bolar in jail.

The Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority (AMHA), however, sent Williams-Bolar and her attorney a letter Tuesday, saying the public housing agency wants to meet with her when she gets out of jail.

''We are reviewing it,'' said Tony O'Leary, AMHA's executive director. ''We'd like to have her meet when available with her legal counsel to go over her
    residency.''

At issue will be whether Williams-Bolar's children were living with her at her Hartford Avenue home in Akron the majority of the time and whether she was paying the proper amount of rent, O'Leary said.

''We need to verify just what was what,'' he said, adding that she financially qualified for public housing.

Williams-Bolar has said she split her time between her Hartford Avenue home and her father's Copley Township home. However, prosecutors said she and her children were living in Akron, which would have precluded the children from attending Copley-Fairlawn schools.

Williams-Bolar, 40, a single mother going to college and working as a teaching assistant at Buchtel High School, is serving the ninth day of a 10-day sentence after her conviction.

The unusual case has garnered national attention and raised red flags around town, including at the elections board.

''We felt it was our duty to take this to the prosecutor's office so they could take whatever action they felt was appropriate,'' said Ron Koehler, the board's deputy director.

When Williams-Bolar voted in 2008, she used her father's address on Black Pond Drive in Copley Township.

The prosecutor's office opted not to pursue additional charges.

''The law recognizes that, under certain circumstances, there can be only one conviction and sentence for an ongoing scheme involving the same crime,'' said Laurie Cramer, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office.

If prosecutors had gone forward with the case, Williams-Bolar might have been charged with tampering with records, a felony, or false registration or illegal voting, also felonies, Cramer said.

Williams-Bolar changed her address with the elections board in August 2004 to Hartford Avenue in Akron. She voted a provisional ballot in March 2008 using her father's address in Copley Township. She cast an absentee ballot in the November 2008 election, again using the Copley address, and hasn't voted since, according to election records.

O'Leary said AMHA's query will look at Williams-Bolar's current housing situation, as well as her past status. He said size of household is a factor in calculating the amount of rent.

''We need to determine, with her help, if her kids were living with her,'' he said. ''If they were, that's probably not an issue. If not, she would have been required to report that to us and there would have been an adjustment to her rent.''

Residents must provide information to AMHA annually, verifying household size and income, O'Leary said.

To be eligible for public housing, a person generally cannot earn more than 60 percent of the median household income. In Summit County, the median income for all families is about $47,000.

AMHA routinely looks into eligibility questions, such as household size or income level. This can result in residents being asked to pay what is owed and, if they don't, possibly being evicted, O'Leary said.
    Residents are entitled to a hearing when questions arise, he said.

''Initially, we will just have an informational meeting,'' O'Leary said of the inquiry into Williams-Bolar's status. ''We will meet with her and her attorney and advise her at that point what her rights are.''
    Kerry O'Brien, Williams-Bolar's attorney, didn't return a phone message Tuesday seeking comment.

Ohio.com - Agency probing mother's residency
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I know it was wrong and all, but I do not blame her one bit-many urban Ohio school districts' schools SUCK and are DANGEROUS to boot. I think this is stupid overkill on the part of that district and I instead of 'sending a message' I hope it comes back to bite them in the ass in some way.

If I had a kid and lived in the Columbus Ohio School District(which actually only covers about one third of the city) I would do whatever it took to make sure they did not go to that district-even if it meant freakin' Catholic schools.

Ohio's urban poorer districts are in deep shit and have had massive enrollment declines. If the Columbus school district was expanded to include the entire 227 square miles of Columbus, their would be an absolute uproar and tens of thousands would move out, and huge areas would disincorporate from the city.

Ohio has some seriously fucked up stuff, and urban(and some poor rural) school systems are part of the fuckery.

Get the woman out of jail-if they want the money back, then sue her in civil court or something. Great..two kids have their mother in jail while REAL criminals are walking the streets, breaking into homes, dealing drugs, etc.

*sigh*

Fuck that judge too..would love to know how to contact her to let her know what I think about this 'deterrence'. Bitch.

And right. She gets thrown in jail cause her kids are ARE living with her, and they also want to get her on the housing issue because her kids ARE NOT living with her.

Ohio is so fucked up at times. And the cost to the public $$$$$ over all this bullshit..all the court costs, etc. they lawyers, etc. Christ.

Jebus, how 'bout everybody kick a bitch while she's down?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

The dad is facing other felony charges, for :

Edward L. Williams, 64, was charged in 2009 with two felony counts — tampering with records and grand theft — for allegedly providing false information to the Summit County Department of Jobs and Family Services regarding his marital status and wife's income, court records show.

Williams, a co-defendant at his daughter's trial, deceived the county agency in order to obtain financial disability assistance, Medicaid disability benefits and other public assistance, prosecutors contend.
    It's starting to sound like milking the system through fraud is a family thing.

ETA: I read the judge didn't want the woman charged with the felony, but the DA/state wouldn't budge.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The dad is facing other felony charges, for :

It's starting to sound like milking the system through fraud is a family thing.
    I can almost(almost) understand it though-there are no decent jobs in that area and people get desperate.

I would rather have my tax dollars going to help people get affordable housing and access to decent education than to cut everything off and have them committing street crimes and selling drugs to get the money to do so.

Sometimes is seems like it is the lesser of two evils..

..but yeah, sounds like the dad has not been setting a good example-especially with the 'disability' stuff-really makes it hard for people who are really disabled.

ETA: I read the judge didn't want the woman charged with the felony, but the DA/state wouldn't budge
    Well maybe I will back off a bit on her then. No ranting email or such.

If it were not for my parents/family living so close by, I would be planning my escape from this state.

Ridiculous. I've known so many people who have done this my entire life. I'm glad I live in Colorado where you can "choice" into any school within the state.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I can almost(almost) understand it though-there are no decent jobs in that area and people get desperate.
    I can understand the school thing too. I wouldn't want my kids in an unsafe school either.

I can't believe this went all the way to pressing charges. I thought it would be more like 'ok, we caught you. the kids have to go back to their zoned school' and that would be the end of it.

Our school district watched carefully for this because we have had many people use family members addresses. If they want their kids in our schools, they should live here and pay the taxes.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Well, apparently the school DOES allow out-of-district kids, IF you pay the tuition. She sidestepped it by providing false information and then refused to pay up when caught.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Our school district watched carefully for this because we have had many people use family members addresses. If they want their kids in our schools, they should live here and pay the taxes.
    I hope you somehow have a massive influx of poor people into your district.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Well, apparently the school DOES allow out-of-district kids, IF you pay the tuition. She sidestepped it by providing false information and then refused to pay up when caught.
    Yeah..probably could not afford it. The damn father should have had some more cheating schemes up his sleeves so they could have afforded it. Poor planning ftl.
    Last edited by Tati; January 26th, 2011 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post

That's just it, we're talking about people who cannot afford to live in the better school districts. so their kids are forced to go to low-performing and/or dangerous schools.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information