Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY man arrested for stealing his own car; rogue police employee suspected

Default NY man arrested for stealing his own car; rogue police employee suspected

I was arrested for stealing my own car, says Bronx man who is suing NYPD

BY Rocco Parascandola and Kevin Deutsch
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS
    Tuesday, January 25th 2011, 4:00 AM

Harbus for News

Jamieson Prince's car was taken by NYPD after son crashed it and fled. Prince says cops lost the SUV and he found it and took it back. Then he was arrested for 'theft.'

Harbus for News
    Jamieson Prince with papers proving car ownership.

A Bronx man arrested in front of his kids for "stealing" his own car is suing the NYPD for $1 million.

Jamieson Prince, 43, says cops swarmed his 2007 GMC Yukon and cuffed him as he prepared to drive his daughters to school on Nov. 11 - even though he had papers proving ownership.

"I told them it was a mixup and proved to them I owned the car, but they wouldn't listen," Prince, a Norwood resident, told the Daily News.

"My little girls saw me arrested over nothing. It was so painful and humiliating."

Prince explained to the officers that his 23-year-old son had borrowed the SUV in July and fled from a crash in Harlem - leading to the son's arrest.

Cops say he hit a pedestrian and they seized the Yukon as part of that investigation.

When the elder Prince went to the 28th Precinct stationhouse to retrieve his SUV, police couldn't find it, according to court papers.

"They had absolutely no idea what happened to it," said Prince, an MTA track worker. "It had disappeared."

An NYPD spokesman confirmed Monday that the Yukon was stolen around 2 a.m. on July 7.

Four months later, Prince says, he found the Yukon, parked three blocks from the stationhouse.

He drove off, thinking everything was okay, but cops rolled up to his home and arrested him a week later - accusing him of removing police property without permission.

"How can the NYPD just confiscate property, lose it, then arrest you for possessing it?" said Prince. "It's totally wrong. I want an apology."
    Prince's lawyer Neil Wollerstein said a rogue police employee may have improperly used the SUV, leading to its disappearance.

"You can't lose a 5-ton truck," said Wollerstein. "Either they're completely incompetent or someone was up to no good."
    The charges against Prince were dropped Jan. 12.

"I just want my daughters to know their father didn't break the law," he said.

"This turned my world upside down."

I was arrested for stealing my own car, says Bronx man who is suing NYPD
    Sheesh.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Um, so he "fnids" his car, hops in and drives away without telling the police about it and receiving any type of permission to take it? IMO, that's not too bright.

Well being that they lost that bitch in the first place, some might take that to mean they didn't give too much of a shit about where it ended up or who had it in the first place.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Um, so he "fnids" his car, hops in and drives away without telling the police about it and receiving any type of permission to take it? IMO, that's not too bright.

Yeah, right. And then pay 5 months impound charges for a car that wasn't even in police possession? Why?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Well being that they lost that bitch in the first place, some might take that to mean they didn't give too much of a shit about where it ended up or who had it in the first place.

Technically, it's still police property whether they know where it is or not. You can't just take it back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greysfang
    Yeah, right. And then pay 5 months impound charges for a car that wasn't even in police possession? Why?

If it's parked on the street, I would imagine there would be no impound fee (possibly a shit load of parking tickets. If there were he can easily fight it and win since the NYPD admittedly couldn't find it for all that time.

When the elder Prince went to the 28th Precinct stationhouse to retrieve his SUV, police couldn't find it, according to court papers.

"They had absolutely no idea what happened to it," said Prince, an
    MTA track worker. "It had disappeared."

An NYPD spokesman confirmed Monday that the Yukon was stolen around 2 a.m. on July 7.

Four months later, Prince says, he found the Yukon, parked three blocks from the stationhouse.

4 months from when the police said they lost it and he hadn't filed an insurance claim? weird.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

4 months from when the police said they lost it and he hadn't filed an insurance claim? weird.
    a claim that the police lost my car?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Technically, it's still police property whether they know where it is or not. You can't just take it back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greysfang

If it's parked on the street, I would imagine there would be no impound fee (possibly a shit load of parking tickets. If there were he can easily fight it and win since the NYPD admittedly couldn't find it for all that time.

Easily? Are you joking? Ever heard the phrase you can't fight City Hall? They would have made him pay it and then they wouldn't have paid him back for months, if not years.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Easily? Are you joking? Ever heard the phrase you can't fight City Hall? They would have made him pay it and then they wouldn't have paid him back for months, if not years.
    Traffic court in NYC works pretty efficiently. At a hearing, the judge could immediately dimiss the charges.

The car was parked on the street so this actually doesn't apply unless he received numerous parking tickets that he can easily fight. Were it in a lot, he wasn't just driving off with it. NYPD impound yards are heavily staffed.

To get your car out of impound is NOT traffic court.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    To get your car out of impound is NOT traffic court.
    In NYC, you can appeal impound fees in traffic court. How do I know? 1- I've been towed a few times 2- my husband used to be assigned to an impound lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    a claim that the police lost my car?

Sure. The police say it was 'stolen' on July 7. If they told him it was stolen theft insurance would cover that. It doesn't matter if he had or the cops had it for insurance purposes. Unless they never told him it was stolen.

ETA: He shouldn't have been arrested, but he shouldn't get $1 million either. He should have just reported it when he found it.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; January 25th, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Also, if the car were in an impound lot as stored evidence, there's no fee to be paid. Impound fees are collected for cars that have been towed for various reasons, unpaid tickets, totalled car awaiting insurance claims, etc.

The whole thing stinks from both sides.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

So explain to me how the cops found out a week later that he was in possession of his own car if he didn't call to report that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information