Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DA: West Philadelphia abortion doctor killed 7 babies with scissors

fgg

Angry DA: West Philadelphia abortion doctor killed 7 babies with scissors

Philly Doctor Facing 8 Counts Of Murder

January 19, 2011 12:06 PM

(File photo of Dr. Kermit Gosnell)

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A West Philadelphia doctor, his wife and eight other suspects are now under arrest following a grand jury investigation.

Sources say Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 69, faces eight counts of murder in the deaths of a woman following a botched abortion at his office, along with the deaths of seven other babies who, prosecutors allege, were born alive following illegal late-term abortions and then were killed by severing their spinal cords with a pair of scissors.

“I am aware that abortion is a hot-button topic,” said District Attorney Seth Williams. “But as District Attorney, my job is to carry out the law. A doctor who knowingly and systematically mistreats female patients, to the point that one of them dies in his so-called care, commits murder under the law. A doctor who cuts into the necks severing the spinal cords of living, breathing babies, who would survive with proper medical attention, is committing murder under the law.”

Gosnell is facing Murder in the 3rd Degree for the death of 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar. Mrs. Mongar died on November 20, 2009 when she was overdosed with anesthetics prescribed by Gosnell. He is also facing seven Murder charges for the deaths of infants who were killed after being born viable and alive during the 6th, 7th and 8th month of pregnancy. Gosnell is also facing numerous other charges.

Four of the suspects, some improperly licensed, also face multiple counts of murder for allegedly killing the newborns. All of the suspects are now behind bars after warrants were served overnight.

A search of Gosnell’s office, called the Women’s Medical Society, revealed that bags and bottles holding aborted fetuses were scattered throughout the building. Jars containing the severed feet of babies lined a shelf.

Gosnell, a family practioner, was never certified as an OB/GYN. He is accused of re-using unsanitary instruments; performing procedures in filthy rooms. Some of the rooms had litter boxes and animals present at the time of the operations.

Investigators also said Gosnell allowed unlicensed employees to perform operations and administer anesthesia, including a 15-year-old high school student.

The grand jury investigation revealed that, for over two decades, government health and licensing officials had received repeated reports about Gosnell’s dangerous practices. However, no action was ever taken, even after the agencies learned that Mrs. Mongar had died during routine abortions under Gosnell’s care.

Dr. Gosnell, who has practiced in the West Philadelphia neighborhood for decades, is also the target of a federal grand jury investigation into illegally prescribing prescription drugs. Investigators say during a search of his home, they found $240,000 in cash.

The doctor, in past interviews with Eyewitness News, has proclaimed his innocence, predicting if charged, he will be acquitted.

Philly Doctor Facing 8 Counts Of Murder « CBS Philly – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of Philadelphia

DA: West Philadelphia abortion doctor killed 7 babies with scissors

Updated at 12:13 PM today
    Pictured: Karnamaya Mongar, who the DA said was one of the victims of Dr. Kermit Gosnell.

WEST PHILADELPHIA - January 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- An abortion doctor who catered to minorities, immigrants and poor women was charged with eight counts of murder in the deaths of a patient and seven babies who were born alive and then killed with scissors, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 69, made millions of dollars over 30 years, performing as many illegal, late-term abortions as he could, prosecutors said. State regulators ignored complaints about him and failed to visit or inspect his clinic since 1993, but no charges were warranted against them, District Attorney Seth Williams said.

Gosnell "induced labor, forced the live birth of viable babies in the sixth, seventh, eighth month of pregnancy and then killed those babies by cutting into the back of the neck with scissors and severing their spinal cord," Williams said.

Williams said patients were subjected to squalid and barbaric conditions at Gosnell's Women's Medical Society.

The woman who died was identified as 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar, who died in November, 2009.

Authorities went to investigate drug-related complaints at the clinic last year and stumbled on what Williams called a "house of horrors."

"There were bags and bottles holding aborted fetuses were scattered throughout the building," Williams said. "There were jars, lining shelves, with severed feet that he kept for no medical purpose."

The clinic was shut down and Gosnell's medical license was suspended after the raid.

Workers, some of whom were also charged with murder, were untrained and unlicensed, including a high-school student who performed anesthesia with potentially lethal narcotics, Williams said.

Gosnell and nine other employees are in custody, authorities said.

Gosnell has been named in at least 10 malpractice suits, including one over the death of a woman who died of sepsis and a perforated uterus.

Full list of charges from the DA:

D.A. Williams provided a list of charges against all of the defendants in a news release. The list reads as follows:

Gosnell is facing Murder in the 3rd Degree for the death of 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar. Mrs. Mongar died on November 20, 2009 when she was allegedly overdosed with anesthetics prescribed by Gosnell. He is also facing seven Murder charges for the deaths of infants who were killed after being born viable and alive during the 6th, 7th and 8th month of pregnancy. Along with the Murder charges the District Attorney has charged Gosnell with Infanticide, Conspiracy, Abortion at 24 or more weeks, Abuse of Corpse, Theft, Corruption of Minors, Solicitation and other related offenses.

42-year-old Lynda Williams of N. Madison Avenue in Wilmington, Delaware is also facing Murder in the 3rd Degree for the death of Ms. Mongar. Williams was an unlicensed worker at the clinic who routinely performed illegal operations and administered anesthesia. She is also facing Murder charges for the death of a viable baby born alive, Abortion at 24 or more weeks, Conspiracy, Racketeering and other related offenses.

51-year-old Sherry West of the 1800 block of Blatty Place in Newark, Delaware is also facing Murder in the 3rd Degree for the death of Ms. Mongar. West was an unlicensed worker at the clinic who routinely performed illegal operations and administered anesthesia. She is also facing Abortion at 24 or more weeks, Conspiracy, Racketeering, Tampering with records, Hindering Prosecution, Obstructing Administration of Law and other related offenses.

33-year-old Adrienne Moton of Hampton Road in Upper Darby, Pa. is facing a Murder charge for the death of a viable baby born alive. Moton who was an unlicensed worker at the clinic, routinely and illegally administered anesthesia to patients, the DA said. She is also facing Conspiracy and Racketeering charges.

48-year-old Steven Massof of W. Marlin Drive in Pittsburgh, Pa. is facing Murder charges for the deaths of two viable babies born alive. Massof, a medical school graduate without a license or any certification, worked as a doctor at the clinic. He is also facing Conspiracy, Theft by Deception, Racketeering and other related charges.

51-year-old Elizabeth Hampton of the 5000 block of Arch Street in Philadelphia, Dr. Gosnell's sister-in-law, is facing Obstructing Administration of Law, Hindering Prosecution, Perjury, and False Swearing charges.

54-year-old Eileen O'Neill of Nutt Road in Phoenixville, Pa is a medical school graduate who worked as doctor at the clinic without a license or certification. She is facing Theft by Deception, Conspiracy, Racketeering, Perjury and False Swearing charges.

45-year-old Tina Baldwin of S. 63rd Street in Philadelphia is facing Racketeering, Conspiracy, and Corruption of a Minor Charges. Baldwin was an unlicensed worker at the clinic who not only illegally administered anesthesia to patients, the DA said she allowed her 15 year old teenaged daughter, who also worked at the clinic, to administer anesthesia to patients as well.

49-year-old Pearl Gosnell of N. 32nd Street in Philadelphia is facing Abortion at 24 or more weeks, Conspiracy and other related charges. Gosnell, the wife of Kermit Gosnell who has no medical license, is accused of performing illegal abortions at the clinic.

53-year-old Maddline Joe of the 800 block of Atwood Road in Philadelphia is facing a Conspiracy charge. She was the office manager at the clinic in West Philadelphia.

DA: West Philadelphia abortion doctor killed 7 babies with scissors | 6abc.com

sick sons of bitches!

Holy shit.

WTF. That reads like science fiction horror.

Late term abortions are sick enough, but this, oh my god!

More like "Hostel".

Why on earth would he keep the severed feet in jars? Trophies?

sweet jesus. I'm ALL for abortions but ... unless its medically necessary FOR the mother, I'm completely against these late-term abortions. Maybe that makes me a bad woman, I don't care. I think you're a bad woman if you fucking cannot figure out within 2 or 3 months if you want the little crotch fruit! So, I say lock these bastards up for as long as you can!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Jesus Christ, that is fucking horrific.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    sweet jesus. I'm ALL for abortions but ... unless its medically necessary FOR the mother, I'm completely against these late-term abortions. Maybe that makes me a bad woman, I don't care. I think you're a bad woman if you fucking cannot figure out within 2 or 3 months if you want the little crotch fruit! So, I say lock these bastards up for as long as you can!
    This opinion doesn't make you a bad woman at all. The women 8 months pregnant who show up for an "abortion" are bad women.

I wonder if any of them will be charged?
    Kittylady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    Philly Doctor Facing 8 Counts Of Murder

The grand jury investigation revealed that, for over two decades, government health and licensing officials had received repeated reports about Gosnell’s dangerous practices. However, no action was ever taken, even after the agencies learned that Mrs. Mongar had died during routine abortions under Gosnell’s care.
    What the fuck? Why was no action taken for over 2 fucking decades?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    What the fuck? Why was no action taken for over 2 fucking decades?
    totally off topic but I love your new sig... we all need to keep running tallies of what names I call everyone... "wingnut" would probably be the nicest damn thing on the list!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

totally off topic but I love your new sig... we all need to keep running tallies of what names I call everyone... "wingnut" would probably be the nicest damn thing on the list!
    Thanks, that's why I found it so funny. She actually got upset over being called wingnut? She must not have seen you in action before!
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I totally agree with you!!

I'm leaving this city....everyone has gone batshit.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    This opinion doesn't make you a bad woman at all. The women 8 months pregnant who show up for an "abortion" are bad women.

I wonder if any of them will be charged?
    It's just disgusting, my wee sister was born at 7 months and she's smart, beautiful, happy and healthy. These babies could have been the same. How awful
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information