Login to remove the ads!

Thread: California man guns down sister's alleged killer

Default California man guns down sister's alleged killer

San Jose man guns down sister's alleged killer

(01-16) 19:18 PST SAN JOSE -- In a shocking act of vigilantism, the older brother of a Los Gatos woman who vanished in 2001 followed the prime suspect in the case into a Peet's coffee shop in San Jose and gunned him down before turning the weapon on himself, authorities said.

The Saturday night shooting at the El Paseo de Saratoga Shopping Center, which killed both men, came as police approached a decade of investigation into the mysterious disappearance of Jeanine Sanchez Harms, a 42-year-old technology firm manager, after a night of bar-hopping.

San Jose police officials identified the gunman as Wayne Sanchez, 52, who lived with his parents in Campbell, less than a mile from the coffee shop. At 9:19 p.m, they said, he shot Maurice Nasmeh, 46, the last person known to have seen Harms alive.

Nasmeh, a San Jose architect, had been arrested in December 2004 and charged with murder, but was released after 2 1/2 years. He maintained his innocence, while Santa Clara County prosecutors insisted they had the right man and would continue to pursue him.

"Are you kidding me?" asked Nasmeh's attorney, Daniel Jensen, when told of the shooting by The Chronicle on Sunday. "He killed an innocent man. Justice didn't get done here. Instead, we got two more victims and we still have a killer out there walking free."

Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen expressed condolences to the Sanchez and Nasmeh families - in particular to Georgette and Jess Sanchez, the parents of Sanchez and Harms. In an interview, he said evidence in the case had been sent to an outside criminalist in the past two years, with results from the analysis expected to be returned to him within six months.

Asked about Nasmeh, Rosen said, "All I can say is that we had charged him with the murder of Jeanine Harms. The charges were dismissed and we are continuing our investigation."

Scott Seaman, chief of the Los Gatos/Monte Sereno Police Department, said, "This is a completely unexpected tragedy and my thoughts are with the families who are affected by this."
    Seeking closure

At Sanchez's home in Campbell, relatives declined to talk Sunday, with one man shouting, "No reporters!" Neighbors said the family, while desperate to find closure in Harms' disappearance, had seemed to try to move past it. For the second year in a row, they said, the family decorated a Christmas tree - after years of forgoing holidays.

The Peet's store was closed Sunday. But a young man who works next door gave an account of the shooting, which he said was witnessed by his best friend.

The friend, he said, was washing dishes when a man yelled, "That's the man who killed my sister!" Another person called for security, saying they were being stalked. There were two gunshots in rapid succession, and later a third.

San Jose police Sgt. Jason Dwyer said the incident began minutes earlier, when Sanchez and Nasmeh exchanged words in a Red Robin restaurant in the same shopping center.

"It is believed that during the course of the conversation, the suspect accused the victim of being responsible for the murder of Jeanine Harms," Dwyer said in a press release.

Dwyer said Sanchez left and then returned, prompting Nasmeh to leave and go to Peet's. Sanchez followed him there and engaged him in conversation again before shooting him.

"The suspect left the coffee shop and walked into the parking lot," Dwyer said. "As San Jose Police officers arrived on scene, they heard a sound they believed to be a gunshot. The officers located the suspect in the parking lot, deceased from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound."
    Focus on rug

Harms, who was 42, vanished July 27, 2001, after a night out in Campbell. Her body has never been found.

Nasmeh was arrested in December 2004 following a 3 1/2-year investigation during which police made public a photograph of a Persian-style rug that was among the objects missing from Harms' home.

Authorities said a woman came forward and said she and her daughter had picked up such a rug about the time Harms disappeared. It was rolled up at a construction site a half-mile from Nasmeh's home.

Analysis by two crime labs indicated that fibers from the rug matched ones found at Harms' home and in the cargo bed of Nasmeh's 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, authorities said.

However, a judge dismissed murder charges in June 2007 after prosecutors conceded they were unprepared to go to trial. Nasmeh was ordered released after spending about 2 1/2 years in jail.

"I don't consider (Nasmeh) to be the suspect," Deputy District Attorney Dale Sanderson said after moving to drop the charges. "I consider him to be the murderer."

On Sunday, Sanderson declined comment.

Jensen, Nasmeh's attorney, said his client had consistently told police the same story: that he met Harms at a Campbell bar, returned to her house to drink beer and smoke marijuana, and left her dozing on her couch after midnight.

Jensen said the rug fiber evidence was weak and that prosecutors had little other evidence against Nasmeh.

On Sunday, there was no sign that the coffee shop killing had happened on findjeanine.com, a website dedicated to putting away Harms' killer. A ticker in the upper right corner said she had been missing for 3,461 days.

MercuryNews.com | 12/17/2004 | S.J. man arrested in '01 disappearance

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I hope their parents are dead and don't have to deal with this.

I can understand his anguish though; death of a sibling is unimaginable pain and void-ness that often doesn't get the attention that the loss of an adult child to a parent gets

What if he was innocent?

Quote Originally Posted by teforde23 View Post
    What if he was innocent?
    Tough now isn't it? That's why vigilante acts are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by teforde23 View Post
    What if he was innocent?

What if he was? Tens of thousands of innocent people die all the time. Why single out this one?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    What if he was? Tens of thousands of innocent people die all the time. Why single out this one?
    Murdering innocent people is fine. Greysfang has spoken.
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

I said no such thing.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

"Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Murdering innocent people is fine. Greysfang has spoken.
    WOOHOO I got a list somewhere.

I hate to say it but I understand why this guy did it, doesn't make it right but I do understand.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post

I hope their parents are dead and don't have to deal with this.
    Sadly, no. The OP says:

Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen expressed condolences to the Sanchez and Nasmeh families - in particular to Georgette and Jess Sanchez, the parents of Sanchez and Harms.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I think the bastard did it. I think the woman's rug from her home was found about a half mile from his house with fibers from the trunk of his car on it.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I think the bastard did it. I think the woman's rug from her home was found about a half mile from his house with fibers from the trunk of his car on it.
    Was there any evidence of the victim on it? Otherwise, he just threw away a rug.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Was there any evidence of the victim on it? Otherwise, he just threw away a rug.
    Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Authorities said a woman came forward and said she and her daughter had picked up such a rug about the time Harms disappeared. It was rolled up at a construction site a half-mile from Nasmeh's home.

Analysis by two crime labs indicated that fibers from the rug matched ones found at Harms' home and in the cargo bed of Nasmeh's 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, authorities said.
    no great loss.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    yes, a rug that was missing from the woman's home.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

He was guilty as sin. Really, no doubt. He had it coming.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information