Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Congresswoman Shot in Head in Arizona

Default Congresswoman Shot in Head in Arizona

TUCSON, Ariz. -- U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot outside a grocery store in Tucson while holding a public event, National Public Radio reported Saturday.

The condition of Giffords remained unclear.

The Tucson Citizen reported she had been shot at close range in the head.

Elite Member

wtf I was just thinking about the Philippines Congressman's murder I'd hate to live where crazies just can walk up to officials and their families and kill them in cold blood.

My thoughts go out to her family and loved ones.

They're reporting that she has died as well as an unconfirmed number of staffers (they're currently stating 6?).

Representative Giffords shot in Arizona, gunman held

– 10 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Representative Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot in the head while holding a public event in Tucson, Fox News and National Public Radio reported on Saturday.
    Fox said 11 other people were shot when an unidentified gunman ran up and began shooting indiscriminately as Giffords addressed supporters.
    Giffords was shot point blank in the head, Fox said.
    The network said the gunman was in custody.
    Giffords, 40, a Democrat, is married to U.S. astronaut Mark Kelly. She took office in January 2007, emphasizing issues such as immigration reform, embryonic stem-cell research, alternative energy sources and a higher minimum wage.
    (Reporting by Roberta Rampton, editing by Anthony Boadle)
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

WTF???? I am hearing up to 12 people were shot. Jesus H Christ!

Edit: Ok dur, the above says 12 people...sorry.

Wow that is fucking crazy.

They've offically confirmed that she has died now.

Any idea WHY this asshat did this? Didn't agree w/her politics?

Fucking completely senseless.

Default Congresswoman killed, others injured in shooting: report

WTF indeed

TUCSON, Arizona (Reuters) Representative Gabrielle Giffords was fatally shot during a public appearance on Saturday, National Public Radio said.

NPR said a gunman ran up to Giffords, 40, a Democrat, and opened fire. The suspect was taken into custody, NPR said.

Media reports said about a dozen other people also were shot

They're saying four others were killed including a child. Unbelievable.

This makes me so sad and so damn angry. I don't know this woman, her politics or anything about Arizona state politics but WTF?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

It's a little confusing now, some reports say she's in surgery, others say she's dead.

They confirmed she was dead, but now they're reporting alive in critical condition. I hope she makes it, but I also hope that if she is brain dead, the won't let her linger long.

Conflicting reports: Congresswoman Giffords shot, maybe killed, by gunman - Yahoo! News

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot and possibly killed Saturday. NPR previously reported that Giffords was dead, but has since retracted that. The local sheriff, Clarence Dupnick and University Medical Center spokeswoman Darci Slaten say she is alive and in surgery. She was hosting a public event at a Safeway grocery store on the north side of Tucson.

According to Slaten, nine other people were shot.

The motives of the attacker, who was detained on the scene and taken into custody, are at this point unknown. Fox is reporting that the gunman "ran up and began shooting indiscriminately as Giffords addressed supporters." According to the New York Times, the Tuscon Citizen is reporting that Giffords was shot at close range.

Witnesses say that the gunman was in his "late teens or early twenties." An eyewitness who contacted Gawker says that he was young, mid-to-late 20s, white clean-shaven with short hair and wearing dark clothing." According to their source, he looked like a "fringe character."

Giffords was first elected represent Arizona's 8th district in 2006. She was married to astronaut Mike Kelly.

This is the local tv station there
    Giffords in surgery after being shot

Posted: Jan 08, 2011 12:36 PM MST Saturday, January 8, 2011 2:36 PM EST Updated: Jan 08, 2011 12:52 PM MST Saturday, January 8, 2011 2:52 PM EST

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is in surgery in critical condition after being shot at a public event Saturday.
    Several media outlets reported that Giffords had been killed, but a UMC spokesperson and C.J. Karamargin with Gifford's office confirmed the congresswoman initially survived the attack and is in surgery.
    At least four people have been killed and seven injured - including Giffords - when an assailant sprayed bullets into an area where the lawmaker was meeting with constituents, congressional officials said.
    These officials said one of the victims died soon after the attack, and others were taken to University Medical Center.

The officials said the wounded included some of Gifford's aides who were with her at the time. The officials who described the events did so on condition of anonymity, saying they were not permitted to comment publicly.

The FBI and local law enforcement are investigating the attack, which took place while Giffords was greeting constituents outside a grocery store.
    The shooting took place at a "Congress on Your Corner" event at about 10 a.m. at the Safeway on Ina and Oracle, Pima County Sheriff's Department spokesman Jason Ogan said.
    Giffords, 40, was re-elected to her third term last November. She was a member of the Arizona House and Senate before coming to Washington. She first won election to Congress amid a wave of Democratic victories in 2006. In November, she edged a tea party favorite.
    The Associated Press contributed to this story.

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=13807906

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I hope she makes it , but wonder what awful damage she has...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Congressional officials say congresswoman shot - Yahoo! News

Giffords, 40, was re-elected to her third term last November. She was a member of the Arizona House and Senate before coming to Washington.

Giffords was elected to Congress amid a wave of Democratic victories in the 2006 election. The former state lawmaker won a narrow victory against a tea party favorite in the 2010 election.

The shooting comes amid a highly charged political environment that has seen several dangerous threats against lawmakers but nothing that reached the point of actual violence.

A San Francisco man upset with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's support of health care reform pleaded guilty to threatening the Democratic congresswoman and her family, calling her directly on March 25 and threatening to destroy her Northern California home if she voted for health care reform.

In July, a California man known for his anger over left-leaning politics engaged in a shootout with highway patrol officers after planning an attack on the ACLU and another nonprofit group. The man said he wanted to "start a revolution" by killing people at the ACLU and the Tides Foundation.

Giffords herself has drawn the ire of the right, especially for her support of the health care bill.

Her Tucson office was vandlized a few hours after the House vote to approve the health care law in March, with someone either kicking or shooting out a glass door and window.
    Last edited by Tati; January 8th, 2011 at 05:07 PM.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information